InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Thanks!!!

We were just down in San Antonio about a month ago. Love the river walk!!

You're welcome yo stop by here any time!!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Time for an update.

We took the Sprinter to Moab from Denver over the weekend. All mountain freeway and twisty back roads to get there.

While we went out to camp off Kane Creek. Then explored and found the back dirt trails from Moab to Gateway, CO. In total we did a few hundred miles of dirt tracks. Van was loaded with all our normal camper set up, two adults, one 3yo, and two large dogs and all the standard gear that comes with them. On top of that we had 3 bike, 2 paddle boards, etc. What better way to test out the suspension set up.

The first thing to note is that the van settled quite a bit after putting some miles on it. I tried to get it to settle before putting in the camber shims with not much luck. I'd suggest driving the van a few miles after the lift install to see how yours settles and then decide on the camber shims.

Over all the van handled great! No issues in the wind. (I added a front sway bar to my 3500 awhile back which makes a big difference). We spent quite a bit of time on rough roads and there seem to be no odd handling quirks of the lift. I also tend to run the 75mph limit (or more) on the mountain freeway when possible and the van handles the high speed corners with ease. Never felt "more tippy" do to the lift.

This picture is at about 8,400ft overlooking the canyon lands between Moab and Gateway. It drops thousands of feet straight off. It was freaky even parking the van that close to the edge. There is a few feet of trees and then it just vanishes to the valley floor.

26040971463_4bf8f8c660_c.jpg

Kane Creek switchbacks.

26618338585_0a9f3f9e45_c.jpg

26014522593_3ca9e3f9a9_c.jpg

The only problem I've had so far with the lift is that my 12yo Wolf Hybrid has a harder time getting in the van now
26524059832_320224bb28_c.jpg
[/url]

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Holy camber!
Might you have bought the camo version of the Monstaliner? ;)
Van is looking rad in the ruby/gunmetal color scheme though. <thumbup>

Cole

Expedition Leader
Holy camber!
Might you have bought the camo version of the Monstaliner? ;)
Van is looking rad in the ruby/gunmetal color scheme though. <thumbup>

Thanks!

I do like the gunmetal color....and did contimplate doing a camo version where the grey is.

.....but decided to try a different route now that the weekend in Moab is over.

Fortunately the Moab red dirt hid the mismatched colors well!

But....after washing it off here is the reminder of what I had to deal with.

26056161454_56f1665dd7_z_d.jpg

One of the things I had though about before doing this was that the "dull" look of the bedliner might not go with the metallic wine colored paint very well. So I was already thinking about options before I ever did this job. After staring at the van for several days I decided that this was true.

I considered two other options other then the camo approach. One was to clear coat the bed liner to give it a higher gloss look. That option went out the window with the mismatch of the touch up. So I decided to try the last option. Add a paint coat over the bedliner.

I've done it before with pretty good luck.

This time I wanted to try something a bit different. I love the metallic dark grey look of Hammerite. The thought here was that it lays out with a textured look simulilar to the bedliner anyway. So the color pattern should look good. It's also durable, fast drying and easy to touch up for cheap. It also has that metallic glossy grey look that will match the sheen of the burgundy paint and look a little more "Mercedes" than the dull bedliner.......but will still offer the protection and look of a bedlined rugged van!

26388581610_abd94504d8_z_d.jpg

26388591240_baa6bd26d8_z_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

While letting the paint cure I also painted the Mercedes star to match and wired up the new LED light to work on one of the factory switches that I had extra.
26061850464_77823d24ee_z_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
I just got some more goodies from VanCompass. I'm pretty excited to see a company offering parts for the adventure Sprinter crowd and supporting the older vans.

I'm going to add their stuff to my own site now too along with my van hammock and maybe some other Sprinter things I've been thinking of.

But....I've been excited to get my own van lifted and much closer to how I had envisioned it in the first place.

These are the rear lift parts. VanCompass didn't initially have a 3500 Sprinter available to them to developer the rear suspension parts. So there has been a lot of back and forth here to develop it off of my van. It's really only some minor changes in the big picture. But we all wanted it to be done right.

This is also the front engine skid plate! Oddly, I'm excited about this piece for 3 reasons and two of them may surprise you. First, I'm hoping that the skid helps a bit with the undercarriage aerodynamics and sound deadening of the road noise. I've noticed that a similar plastic skid may have been available at one point for these vans for similar reasons but was seemingly dropped from US vans.

Of course the engine protection in the parts of the world I drive this thing is a major reason. Other than the oil pan the Sprinter has a couple of very vulnerable transmssion cooler lines and other bits that could easily leave you stranded if damaged. (I actually had to leave my wife and daughter with a broken trans line for about 3 hours while I walked to go find parts, that sucked!)

...and of course this thing should add some much needed off road bling to the van. :sombrero:

26726633916_d28f99282c_z_d.jpg

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Looks good. Be prepared for the skid to actually reflect engine noise back into the cab. My old XJ had full skids, and the increased engine noise was substantial. Not saying it's gonna happen with your rig, but it's a possibility.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Looks good. Be prepared for the skid to actually reflect engine noise back into the cab. My old XJ had full skids, and the increased engine noise was substantial. Not saying it's gonna happen with your rig, but it's a possibility.

Yeah, I've had full skids on many Jeeps. Most of the Eurovans, Audis and Porsches have them and they make a notable difference. We will just have to see. I'm not against covering the top side with something.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Yeah, I've had full skids on many Jeeps. Most of the Eurovans, Audis and Porsches have them and they make a notable difference. We will just have to see. I'm not against covering the top side with something.

Damn! Now you tell me? Just installed mine yesterday... I could have put some closed cell foam on it!!!

I had some minor mods needed on my van to install the plates. Check my build thread out for pics.

I am really glad they decided to make parts for the older vans as well. :victory:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Damn! Now you tell me? Just installed mine yesterday... I could have put some closed cell foam on it!!!

I had some minor mods needed on my van to install the plates. Check my build thread out for pics.

I am really glad they decided to make parts for the older vans as well. :victory:

Looks great!!!

What spray foam did you use for insulation?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Looks great!!!

What spray foam did you use for insulation?

I used tigerfoam. Worked great &#128077;. The thinsulate and spray foam make the van really quiet. Too bad i didn't do the cab.

Drove my van just now. No major difference in engine noise. I do have insulation on the floor though. YMMV.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I used tigerfoam. Worked great &#55357;&#56397;. The thinsulate and spray foam make the van really quiet. Too bad i didn't do the cab.

Drove my van just now. No major difference in engine noise. I do have insulation on the floor though. YMMV.

That's the stuff I've been considering using.

My van is pretty quiet now but I'd like to refine it more and I think spray foam might work well in the custom Eurovans I build. Which formula did you use? How much for your 140?

Thanks

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That's the stuff I've been considering using.

My van is pretty quiet now but I'd like to refine it more and I think spray foam might work well in the custom Eurovans I build. Which formula did you use? How much for your 140?

Thanks

I used a TF200FR kit. For full filling and coverage about 2.5 times that would be needed. I just did 1" in most areas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior