Inside Passage Paddle, Seattle to Alaska, Summer 2013

jordansname

A friend suggested I share my current expedition ambitions with you all. Not sure if my trip fits in or not, i'll be using a sail instead of engine and for sponsons instead of tires. My plan is to leave from Seattle this summer and paddle the Inside Passage to Alaska in a 17' Grumman Canoe. Anyone done the trip before? Here's my latest video posted to youtube documenting my trial runs on the Flaming Gorge in Wyoming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJM8YXQ12I

Thanks for sharing,
Jordan

Cody1771

Explorer
wow cool! it is a LONG trip. i did Vancouver Island by Kayak in 2003 and it took me almost 40 days. a sail should be faster. i would be intrested if you shared your trip on here!

hastyphoto

Hey Jordan awesome to see you here. Look forward to watching yet another what I predict will be an awesome adventure from you. Cheers and safe travels!

westyss

Explorer
That would be a cool trip but plan to be sailing into wind for the majority of the way, looking at your video looks like you can get pretty close into the wind there, I have sailed most of the way and either there was no wind for sailing or the winds were from the north west.... in the direction of travell! Coming back was awesome though, beam on beam most of the way down at good speeds.
Definately worthy of being on here as it will be an expedition.

jordansname

That would be a cool trip but plan to be sailing into wind for the majority of the way, looking at your video looks like you can get pretty close into the wind there, I have sailed most of the way and either there was no wind for sailing or the winds were from the north west.... in the direction of travell! Coming back was awesome though, beam on beam most of the way down at good speeds.
Definately worthy of being on here as it will be an expedition.

I planned the trip south to north after reading in multiple resources that the predominant summer winds are out of the south? I could just as easily start my trip in Alaska and sail down to Seattle. Even the wind history charts show the winds be predominantly south?

Cody1771

Explorer
do you have a planned route? i had discussed this a few years back going north to south with a friend of mine, there are a few sections that make pulling in for the night/camping intresting, grenville being one of them. but that was doing it Via paddle, not sail. make sure to schedual break days :p

westyss

Explorer
I planned the trip south to north after reading in multiple resources that the predominant summer winds are out of the south? I could just as easily start my trip in Alaska and sail down to Seattle. Even the wind history charts show the winds be predominantly south?

You may be right about the predominant winds at that time of year, but from my experience most of the weather comes from the north west along with associated waves, from my time spent in these areas if the winds flow from the south it usually indicates good weather and that will have very light to no winds, you will get the inflow/outflow winds in the mornings and afternoons for some nice beam reaches though. keep in mind I was in a large sail boat that needed some good winds to push it along and a light canoe should do better. I see someone else posted up about doing the inside passage by kayak so I will read that, have a good trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles