Insect mesh to protect radiator

El-Dracho

Overlander
Hi travellers,

Overlanding Central Asia, Mongolia and Russia I realised that in some parts are so many bugs out there and these little bastards are blocking the radiator.

I am thinking in adding an insect mesh in front of the radiator to protect.

But I am a bit worried about affecting the airflow. It is a turboengine and radiator and intercooler are in the front.

Would built something similar as my radiator muff for winter but with mesh.

Who could share some experiences, please? Do you have any recommendations about the mesh size?

Thanks!

Safe travels!

Björn

FlipperFla

I run a bug screen all the time, Love Bugs in Florida are a real pain in the butt. If you dont clean them off in a reasonable amount of time they will take the paint off. I have seen them so bad every couple of miles we had to pull into gas stations to clean the windshield and hose the radiator. Skeeters in the Glades can be so bad you cant even get out of your truck. Never saw any change in engine temp when I added the screen. When we are on the road I found a wisk broom run across it does the trick getting the debris off for good air flow. You can find them on ebay or amazon for around $10 they last about two years

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
If you are concerned about effecting air flow, you can bend the mesh in a Z pattern to increase the surface area of mesh. That is how it's done on race cars often times.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I bought some screen from a hardware store and ran it in front of the radiator and all the other coolers, behind the grill. My temps stay good pulling 10k pounds over mountain passes.

BADDANDY

Adventurer
I bought some screen from a hardware store and ran it in front of the radiator and all the other coolers, behind the grill. My temps stay good pulling 10k pounds over mountain passes.

All of my vehicles always get this treatment after purchase. Never a heat issue clean.

El-Dracho

Overlander
Hi,

Has been quite a long time that I looked onto the forum due to travelling ;)

Thanks for all the answers...

Bjoern

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Massive airflow drop. So attach it to the grill and make it removable. I'd remove it above ninety degrees.

Same here, and I live in the tropics and tow a horse float! Only difference is I put it (standard hardware store plastic flymesh) in front of the radiator grille, then between bullbar and body. This way it is easier to see if dirty and easier to wash too. If it gets too filthy or damaged just drop into your favourite hardware store for some leftover flyscreen!

If I remember correctly 900mm wide flyscreen fits in front of LC100 grill just perfect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier