Insane 21 Vehicle/RV/Trailer/Toy single lot auction in McMinnville, OR

GHI

Adventurer
I'm originally from Saginaw, what's going with the auctions up there?
Apply whatever applicable reason for a vehicle or vessel to be impounded to a tow lot. Guy has no license, arrested for drunk driving, abandoned on the roadway or seized in a drug forfeiture. Doesn't matter. A tow can easily cost close to $300 bucks even if you try to pick it up a half hour later from a mile down the road. Now a couple days goes by because the guy can't come up with the cash. The tow company doesn't accept credit cards. Some atrocious daily storage fees are added to the bill. The fees aren't regulated or at least they weren't the last time I checked which has been a few years. You get the idea. The bill adds up and sometimes just isn't worth it for the owner to claim ownership.

Now every once in a while the tow company and local law enforcement have to conduct an auction. The tow company makes excuses and tries to extend the amount of time in between auctions because that's daily storage fees adding up to which they can ultimately take the owner to court or use it as a fraudulent bargaining tool later on.

The auction date and general description of items up for bid are posted locally. People are encouraged to come check out the items. This is where the tow company can initially feel out the prospective buyer. Say somebody bids $1500 on a beater vehicle for the winter at the time of the auction. There's only one bidder. Seems like a good deal until you see the outrageous storage fee you would also have to pay. Tow lot says come back later or after the auction and they'll waive the storage fee.

This is important because if the vehicle is sold at auction there are fees that have to go to the state and the agency conducting the auction. It gets even more lucrative when you have a $30k and up vehicle for auction. The bank rarely sends somebody to claim the vehicle. I may not have explained it completely or all that well. It's been a while since I've looked into this. Some things may have changed. No, I haven't had my vehicle towed as the result of an arrest or drug forfeiture.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
most towing companies file mechanics liens for vehicles they tow in when the owner does not claim the vehicle. this allows them to legally sell the vehicle themselves without an auction.

This is an IRS auction which adds a whole different set or rules/complications to the issue.

GHI

Adventurer
most towing companies file mechanics liens for vehicles they tow in when the owner does not claim the vehicle. this allows them to legally sell the vehicle themselves without an auction.
This is an IRS auction which adds a whole different set or rules/complications to the issue.

Here in Michigan the municipality signs off on the mechanics lien, or whatever we call it, after the auction if nobody bids/buys to which the tow company no longer has to pay certain fees to the state, the local municipality or anyone else with a vested interest in the vehicle/vessel. This is why they don't actually prefer anything to sell at auction. They would rather sell it later with nobody looking over their shoulder. They've got a good game going on here. That's how it used to be or my interpretation of how it went down anyway. I agree though. Different ball game if the IRS is running the auction.

I would most certainly be interested in what this sale went for. I was really wanting that wake boarding boat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles