InReach to InReach Location Tracking

Jacobm

Hi all-

For those of you with an InReach product, do you know if they can send location updates to each other? I know you can set it to send updates to the web/app for someone in town to track your location, but can it also send updates to another InReach device so two users in the field can track each others' location?

My use case for this would be putting an InReach Mini with a group on a rafting trip, so I could keep tabs on their location as I trek ahead on land to capture pictures of them floating by. Often this is outside cell service so InReach to InReach is the only way I can think of that doesn't involve someone on the trip having to pay attention and send updates every so often. On our last trip, the first two days were easy because the road follows the river closely so I just drove upriver until I found our group, then flipped around and followed downriver. The third day had the best rapids but the river diverges from the road quite a bit so I wasn't able to find them in time to get good shots, as I'd have to park and hike a ways over to where the river is visible.

Thanks!

4000lbsOfGoat

I *think* the only way you could do this would be to send a message from one device to the other (which is, strictly speaking, sending a message from one account to another). The sent message will contain the GPS coordinates of the sender. I don't think there is any way to automatically push location data from one inReach to another.

I *think* the only way you could do this would be to send a message from one device to the other (which is, strictly speaking, sending a message from one account to another). The sent message will contain the GPS coordinates of the sender. I don't think there is any way to automatically push location data from one inReach to another.
At least, if only Preset Messages are sent between units (NOT Replies), there should be no charge against message allotment on a given subscription plan.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
For live tracking I think you would need to have internet access. I've used Spotwalla on a lot of group trips, but there can be quite a delay updating so it's not "real time".

Jacobm

Looks like it may be possible to automate something but I'll have to get a couple and play with it. Thank you!

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Pretty sure it's a no-go on automation but with Inreach if you have multiple devices (I convinced all my buddies to get minis), just be sure that everybody understands their use before you leave the field. As has been said before you and your friends use your unique Inreach email address (your username@inreach.garmin.com) to communicate device to device. A huge point is to make sure everybody downloads the base maps into their earthmate application. I prefer USGS topo and has Garmin's built-in map system is just sort of a cartoonish version of that. At that point you can send each other messages with automatic background mapped data and location data and you can navigate directly to them. It's really slick and I think the primary advantage of Inreach over other devices.

I've been using it for years and it works like the charm unless you're down in deep canyons which you probably will be running rivers. I don't really see the need for automation on a river though. Just tell your friends to keep your devices on, make sure they are checking for new messages at set intervals and you can communicate as you go down the river.

Also don't be afraid to splurge on messages with overage charges. The magic is you feel free to send messages you can buy their bloated all-inclusive plan but I pay as I go and it's never more than 10 to $20 per trip. That's a great value for that utility.

Pretty sure it's a no-go on automation but with Inreach if you have multiple devices (I convinced all my buddies to get minis), just be sure that everybody understands their use before you leave the field. As has been said before you and your friends use your unique Inreach email address (your username@inreach.garmin.com) to communicate device to device. A huge point is to make sure everybody downloads the base maps into their earthmate application. I prefer USGS topo and has Garmin's built-in map system is just sort of a cartoonish version of that. At that point you can send each other messages with automatic background mapped data and location data and you can navigate directly to them. It's really slick and I think the primary advantage of Inreach over other devices.

I've been using it for years and it works like the charm unless you're down in deep canyons which you probably will be running rivers. I don't really see the need for automation on a river though. Just tell your friends to keep your devices on, make sure they are checking for new messages at set intervals and you can communicate as you go down the river.

Also don't be afraid to splurge on messages with overage charges. The magic is you feel free to send messages you can buy their bloated all-inclusive plan but I pay as I go and it's never more than 10 to $20 per trip. That's a great value for that utility.
If location sharing is the primary goal, then sending out Preset Messages (which normally include position information) to other inReach users should accomplish the purpose at no additional expense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles