InReach Mini - How to Sync Tracking later on

Mark2457

Hi All

Just got inreach and testing before I actually NEED it. I've been walking about 3 miles to work and figured it's a good way to test and learn tracking. If I turn on tracking while not connect to Earthmate, how do I transfer the tracking data later? I have tis set to start tracking on power on

Thanks

Mark

bugnout

Adventurer
I'm not sure what your trying to do. Are you turning tracking on in the phone app but your phone is not connected to your inreach?

If you turn tracking on in your inreach through the device interface, you should see the tracking points on explore.garmin.com map and on the phone map once you sync with your inreach device.

Edit: just logged on myself and seems that the way it works has changed. If you want the tracks to show up on your phone you have to convert them and sync.

Mark2457

I'm not sure what your trying to do. Are you turning tracking on in the phone app but your phone is not connected to your inreach?

If you turn tracking on in your inreach through the device interface, you should see the tracking points on explore.garmin.com map and on the phone map once you sync with your inreach device.

I have tracking turned on on the inreach (but no phone with me). I want to log the track and later sync somewhere (Once i'm connected to the world)

bugnout

Adventurer
I have tracking turned on on the inreach (but no phone with me). I want to log the track and later sync somewhere (Once i'm connected to the world)
Ok, you should be able to see your tracking points when you log into garmin and view your map. Then you can sync your track to your phone by converting it on the website and then connecting your phone to the inreach using the garmin app on your phone. It used to sync your track to your phone without converting. That is something new.

bugnout

Adventurer
hmm, maybe a difference in terms.
You can configure the device logging interval and sending interval. I just set them to the same value. Your device will retain the log until it runs out of memory and over writes the memory. The phone app displays the logged track that is in your device. Your Garmin account displays the data you send it. I just set them to the same interval so for me they are the same.

Does that make sense?

Mark2457

hmm, maybe a difference in terms.
You can configure the device logging interval and sending interval. I just set them to the same value. Your device will retain the log until it runs out of memory and over writes the memory. The phone app displays the logged track that is in your device. Your Garmin account displays the data you send it. I just set them to the same interval so for me they are the same.

Does that make sense?

Thanks but I'm not willing to pay to send updates every x minutes

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Mark2457:

My InReach is not a mini, so your device might be better than mine. I basically found that while ny InReach would record "tracks" independent of its "Tracking Function", access to those logs was obtuse. Thus I found it more efficient to log tracks on my phone via it's internal GPS and any of several applications that will accomplish that.

Some of the terminology that could be obscuring InReach functionality might be a difference between Garmin's definition of "Tracking" versus "Logging". In Garminspeak "Tracking" is sending waypoints via satellite signal to Garmin's mapping interface so that folks you choose can see where you have been. While those Garminspeak "Tracks" could be accessed and downloaded into non Garminspeak tracks they aren't as suitable as a Garminspeak "log".

Garminspeak "logs" are more similar to what most of us think of as "tracks" - strings of points recorded by our GPS units (including GPS enabled phones, watches, etc). When we download those strings of points and allow software to connect them with lines we get a nice "track" of where we were. Several years ago I wished to reduce the equipment I was to carry on a long packraft/backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon and thought I'd use my InReach for both communications and Garminspeak "logging" (or "tracking" in regular GPS speak). I gave up when I couldn't find a practical way to get those logs into other applications I was using on the trip without access to Internet to get the logs from Garmin.

At that time, had I been satisfied with Earthmate as a mapping application, I would have had access to those logs (tracks) within Earthmate, but not other applications. I don't know if that situation has changed in the intervening years or not.

Howard Snell

bugnout

Adventurer
Thanks but I'm not willing to pay to send updates every x minutes
Yeah I understand. Its all in how you use your Inreach. I assume your on the freedom plan. That wasn't available when I bought my Inreach and I haven't found a long enough period so that it makes sense to switch yet.

I have the recreation plan and I use mine for backpacking and snow machine riding in areas with little or no cell coverage. I'm using it 5 to 6 months a year. It would only be slightly cheaper to switch to the freedom plan and I would need to worry about activating and deactivating it. Now I can just grab it and go.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Anything 'mini" is smaller but that means a decrease in certain functionality. Like battery life and signal strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles