Input on a new to me Expo rig...

vonguido

Adventurer
Hey folks.

So I am going to be in the market for a new expo rig and it's between a 3rd/4th gen 4Runner or a Tacoma...not sure on the gen for that. So I need your input on which you think would be best and year/gen that had the least amount of problems...going for reliability here

A little about me. I'm 6'1" and currently 310lbs so I'm not a tiny guy, a wife and two 6yr old boys. This would be my daily driver and all 4 of us wouldn't be in it together unless we were going camping (we have a 16' Honda Odyssey for daily stuff). I want to do a RTT eventually...outside of that I don't have any real requirements other than safe, and reliable.

Let me know what you all think.

Sean

HighPlains

Observer
Im about your same height and weight, Ive got a first gen Tundra double cab and its about perfect, the Sequioa is a good fit as well. Ive driven countless Tacomas and 3rd gen Runners and they get to be too small rather quickly if you have to carry passengers.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm a few inches shorter, 90# lighter, and I find my Tacoma "cozy". I can't imagine you being comfortable in one. Given your size and family numbers I'd opt for a full sized quad cab short bed something. People can argue vehicle size vs trail limitations but I've wheeled from California to Maine and not once have I ever thought to myself "man I sure wish I had a xxxxx today instead of the xxxx I'm driving".

You deal with your limitations as they arise, or insure they won't be a factor before you leave your driveway. I wouldn't let trail issues dictate what I bought. If you and your family aren't comfortable in your ride, no one is going to want to go anyway.

Dalko43

Explorer
OP, a 4th gen 4runner could easily accommodate a driver + 3 passengers, so I wouldn't look to a larger vehicle simply based on passenger count. I honestly don't know if the 4runner will feel cramped or roomy enough for you; your best bet is to go test drive one in person and figure that out for yourself.

As for the decision between a Tacoma and a 4runner, that will depend on your vehicle needs. The short of it is, if you need bed space to carry a lot of extra gear (like tents, fridges, tool boxes, animals) or if you just like having your cargo area separated from your passenger compartment, then a Tacoma is the better choice.

If all that extra storage doesn't mean much to you, then the 4runner may make more sense.

Either one has extensive aftermarket support and can be modified to your heart's desire (though the 4runner has an optional v8 while the Tacoma doesn't). So if you pick either one, you should have plenty of options on how you go about setting it up.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
You had me at Odyssey...

Mod that Odyssey and blow all those birds to kingdom come with some big stones! Jk, GX470 or 460. If it were me 460 but as mentioned get to some meets and even dedicated forums and see what people are saying, paying and doing to said vehicles. Lot of prestige to be gained with a modded Odyssey though.

vonguido

Adventurer
Thanks all for the input,

Currently I'm driving her old car which is a 2004 Nissan Xterra, its not bad, head room is a little tight depending how the seat is set, but the seat is what annoys me the most because it can't go any lower to the floor. It has a lot of problems so i dont know if it would be worth it to try and redo everything that is wrong

I will have to look into a GX and a 1st gen Tundra although I know aftermarket support is spotty. I would love a JKU however the price tag is the problem...We are buying a house this summer and I don't want to have another car payment on my credit before all that is final.

I have always been a fan of the 4runner so I will look into the 4th Gen. I had a Jeep XJ before my 15' Accord that we traded in for the Odyssey and it was fine for the most part unless I was wearing a big winter coat.

If I had the fabrication skills and an unlimited budget a mod'd Odyssey would be EPIC.

I'll take a look around dealerships and see about test driving some as well

vonguido

Adventurer
Also let me put it out there, I am currently doing a medical weight loss program to get back down to a healthy weight...I used to be in the 180-190's so I have slipped big time. Already dropped some weight, so once I get back down under 250lbs everything will get a lot more roomy lol

LUGS

I'm same height as you at 6'1" and my head just grazes the ceiling of my 2001 4Runner. Mind you mine has a sunroof so it makes the ceiling area above the driver's seat lower than non-sunroof equipped 4Runners. When camping with the wife and our 6 yr old I find the rig fills up really fast, even with one of the rear seats folded down. As a daily driver, fuel mileage is ok for a body on frame 4wd truck approx 15 city and 18-20 highway and the power is sufficient as long as you realize that these vehicles aren't race cars. Reliability is pretty good but then again I tend to stick to the owners manual with regular maintenance. From what I've read the general consensus seems to be that the rear seats of a 4Runner are far more comfy than that of a crewcab Tacoma. Like many others in this forum have said before - if you need the bed of a truck then get the Tacoma or Tundra. If you don't then go with a 4Runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles