Inmarsat BGAN (Broadband Global Internet Network) Terminal and Iridium Phone

Alloy

As much as I love getting away from it all it is getting harder and harder to do. After shortening then canceling another "out of communication" trip last week I've decided getting away is more important than being out of communication.

Our InReach doesn't have enough data and cell boosters/antennas only work at 5% of the places we go.

The system has to send/receive drawings/documents across Western Canada with a dedicated connection during work hours.

I've registered for Starlink but in the mean time I'm looking at a portable (sat link though trees) Inmarsat BGAN terminal with an Iridium phone for back up.

What have people used?

Rando

Explorer
I have used a BGAN, they (mostly) work, they are not very fast and they are expensive. Expect 200 - 500 kbps, $5-$10 per MB.

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Also “sat link” and “through trees” aren’t really compatible statements, no matter what band or orbit your connecting to.

I have extensive BGAN experience and when you need it, it will work in the sense of 3g in cellular. Plan to wait for data to come through and not expect a broadband experience. It is also, as mentioned, expensive, to very expensive depending on use. Trees are still an issue even in LBand.

But again, if you really need it, expense is usually not the limiting factor.

If you want a cable modem or better broadband experience than plan to get an expensive setup with several hundred per month or wait for starlink.

greg.potter

Adventurer
Also “sat link” and “through trees” aren’t really compatible statements, no matter what band or orbit your connecting to.

If you want a cable modem or better broadband experience than plan to get an expensive setup with several hundred per month or wait for starlink.

Well any kind of RF through trees is pretty much a non-starter. If you don't have line of site don't expect much.

As for Starlink it was released in Beta in Western Canada last December. I've had mine since January. It has been fully released now in Canada however they are very slowly releasing to new customers possibly so they can deal with the inevitable problems that will occur as they load up the system (that's what I would like to think). Or perhaps it's a limitation of their manufacturing or shipping facilities (more probable).

I believe that Starlink just announced mobile support later this summer or fall time-frame. That will be a game changer for full timers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles