Inflatable Kayaks

refried

Adventurer
IK's are horrible in flatwater, They're harder to paddle, and have more drag than a hardshell boat, they don't track worth a damn (a skeg may help I don't have one on my boats), and get blown around quite a bit as soon as the breeze picks up. The main reason I have them is because they're more comfortable than a hardshell whitewater boat and I can stretch my legs out whenever I feel like it. I really should have a sea kayak given my location but I have enough stuff.
The Lynx II is a tandem boat that I paddle quite a bit with my girlfriend, but it's a great gear hauler for weekend trips when set up as a solo boat.

fjmario

Adventurer
IK's are horrible in flatwater, They're harder to paddle, and have more drag than a hardshell boat, they don't track worth a damn (a skeg may help I don't have one on my boats), and get blown around quite a bit as soon as the breeze picks up. The main reason I have them is because they're more comfortable than a hardshell whitewater boat and I can stretch my legs out whenever I feel like it. I really should have a sea kayak given my location but I have enough stuff.
The Lynx II is a tandem boat that I paddle quite a bit with my girlfriend, but it's a great gear hauler for weekend trips when set up as a solo boat.

Never thought about the drag but you make a great point.
I believe they sell a small motor for the IK I linked in the first post... would it be worth it to invest in that as well?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'd just go Craig's list two seater kayak or single person canoe. Easy, cheap light ish, and dog friendly. Inflatables are not dog friendly.

mmp3823

Observer
I'd just go Craig's list two seater kayak or single person canoe. Easy, cheap light ish, and dog friendly. Inflatables are not dog friendly.

It all depends on the material that the inflatable is made of. Quite a few are designed for white water and can bounce over rocks without being punctured and so would not have an issue with a dog riding in it. I wouldn't hesitate to take my dogs in mine.

fjmario

Adventurer
It all depends on the material that the inflatable is made of. Quite a few are designed for white water and can bounce over rocks without being punctured and so would not have an issue with a dog riding in it. I wouldn't hesitate to take my dogs in mine.

From the research that I've done, I 2nd this.
Ive seen plenty of photos of dogs in inflatable kayaks and read a few reviews where people took their dogs.
Id be more concerned about him trying to jump out but as soon as I get a kayak Ill be training him to stay in on dry land, then testing him in our pool.

refried

Adventurer
No problem having dogs in a quality IK, I've had dogs in mine on the river (not my dog), and cats and racoons playing on them without problems

fjmario

Adventurer
No problem having dogs in a quality IK, I've had dogs in mine on the river (not my dog), and cats and racoons playing on them without problems
I was expecting some kind of humorous photo of a raccoon in the kayak with you hahaha

Arclight

SAR guy

I would agree with the above. I've tried paddling around the bays here with an inflatable. You'll spend a LOT of energy fighting the wind and going very slowly in one.

zimm

Expedition Leader
inflatables are best on the river, i'd do a nice cedar canoe for strictly flatwater. light weight, tracks straight, no drag, fast, comfortable. an all around better experience.

MOguy

Explorer
Unless you and your partner are experienced and have rowed together before I would NOT recommend you get a boat built for two.

Get kayaks. If you don't want inflatable you can go to Walmart and get them for a couple regular kayaks for couple hundred bucks. Get them at a Walmart close to where you will use them so you don't have to transport them as far. You can order them on Walmarts web page and pick them up once you get close so you know you wont be stuck with out them.

Sell them at the campground for cheap before you leave if you don't want to haul them home.

-----------OR------------------------

check and see if you can rent them close to the lake.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles