Inflatable Kayaks

fjmario

Adventurer
Not much of a watersports/activity kind of person but Im planning a trip to tour the lakes of the Sierras, and Northern California. All flat water, no rivers/streams.
Any suggestions/opinions about inflatable kayaks, specifically the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak?
https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Explorer-2-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00A7EXF4C

Has good reviews all over the internet, videos make it seem like its a good product.
Just want to be able to enjoy these lakes from a different perspective and not take up my roof rack space with a solid kayak/canoe.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I looked into those inflatable things too but decided they were too flimsy. I'm 6'-1", 240 lbs and my fiancee is 5'-8", 140 lbs (add 15 pounds for fake boobies :Wow1: ). Maybe you're lighter so it wouldn't be much of an issue. I understand you don't want to take up space on your rack but I have a 2 person kayak you can borrow for your trip. It is quite large so it will take up a lot of space though. I live in Sac. I have a kayak mounting system that will work with newer Yakima/Thule aero bars or the older round crossbars.

fjmario

Adventurer
I looked into those inflatable things too but decided they were too flimsy. I'm 6'-1", 240 lbs and my fiancee is 5'-8", 140 lbs (add 15 pounds for fake boobies :Wow1: ). Maybe you're lighter so it wouldn't be much of an issue. I understand you don't want to take up space on your rack but I have a 2 person kayak you can borrow for your trip. It is quite large so it will take up a lot of space though. I live in Sac. I have a kayak mounting system that will work with newer Yakima/Thule aero bars or the older round crossbars.

Wow I really appreciate that offer, might have to schedule a stop near you to at least tryout a real kayak. Thank you!

But youre right, I am much lighter haha 5'10 150lbs and I dont really know anyone Id take on a trip and would weigh a lot more than me.
Maybe my dog when hes older but hes still a pup so I think Ill be fine in terms of flimsyness

Inflatables are sturdy and can carry weight. They typically are self-bailing which is a fancy way of saying they have holes in the bottom and you will be sitting in the water.

We bought one of these: http://gravityplay.com/product/zoik-big-ego/ They're used 1 season, then sold. Only used a couple of times so far, but worked great. I can fit the entire thing, along with pump and life vests in a big canvas duffle bag. Could easily check as baggage on an airline.

fjmario

Adventurer
Inflatables are sturdy and can carry weight. They typically are self-bailing which is a fancy way of saying they have holes in the bottom and you will be sitting in the water.

We bought one of these: http://gravityplay.com/product/zoik-big-ego/ They're used 1 season, then sold. Only used a couple of times so far, but worked great. I can fit the entire thing, along with pump and life vests in a big canvas duffle bag. Could easily check as baggage on an airline.

Damn, that much $ to only use for one season? Why is that?

Stryder106

Explorer
What were the pack rafts that were used on the tv show Ultimate Survival Alaska - there were some good size guys on that show and they carried them in their backpacks.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Wow folding frame + inflatable. Looks amazing but too far out of my budget.
Plus, I like that I may have the option for two people in the K2 Explorer.

Ah. AE 1007 then. 550# capacity and is convertible between a single/double open cockpit, double closed cockpit, and single closed cockpit. But it's not any easier on the budget. The upside is its bomber quality.

refried

Adventurer
I have a couple, An Aire Lynx II (the yellow boat), and a Sotar solo boat, They are more suited for whitewater but get their share of use on flatwater.

Swiftwatertraining002.jpg

120812-44432.jpg

fjmario

Adventurer
I can do some more shopping around for different models but I just wanted to confirm theyre not a bad idea for flatwater, right? haha

Thank you everyone for chiming in!

mmp3823

Observer
I also have a Sea Eagle. They have several different options with some being cheaper and others being more expensive. We liked the kayak enough to try the SUP and actually like the SUP better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles