Inexpensive vs. Expensive Winch

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I had an old champion 9500 I think it was. It worked well but the brake burned up prematurely as they all seem to do on the Chinese winches. It lasted until a frind of mine borrowed it for his Jeep and let all the cable bunch up on one end of the spool. Busted the housing...

67cj5

Man On a Mission
As I said before, the Champion re-brand name Warrior was never used on any British military vehicle, ever. It is simply not squaddie proof; whereas the Red Winches one is...

Here is a link https://www.red-winches.com/products/warrior/3/

They will still make to order

Previous this the UK Military fitted Mile-Marker hydraulic winches but they broke a lot (generally the casings), Husky, Warn 8274 and Ramsey Patriots... All to light vehicles
Well according to Campion/ Warrior the Short Drum 9500 was fitted to certain Army Vehicles, might of been on land rovers ??

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Unless it was
Well according to Champion/ Warrior the Short Drum 9500 was fitted to certain Army Vehicles, might of been on land rovers ??
Unless it was a one of purchase at Regimental level, using Regimental budget it didn't happen. Folk say a lot to sell stuff. It doesn't mean Champion/Warrior don't sell decent value for money products. The only Land Rover fitted with a winch was the 127/130 Rapier missile tug. This was a Husky/8274/Ramsey depending on Regiment or Service (the RAF Regiment used Ramsey Patriots). At Regimental level, some SNATCH 110's were fitted with winches, but very rarely.
In the British Army, getting unstuck involves REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers {also known less politely as Royal Engineers Made Easy, Ruin Everything Mainly Engines and other less pleasant terms , all true}) Like there US counterparts, they don't possess the concept of using anything small for recovery. Extraction would be with a CRARRV or an RMMV HX - nothing smaller
The reason the Coyote and Jackal were fitted with winches is purely for their operational role - fast in and out

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
The VR/Magnum is final assembled in the USA by Warn with offshore (Chinese) parts. It's not the same thing as a "real" Warn although you probably have a better chance of getting a "good" one than with the ones assembled by Asian children...

The very early WARN VR and Magnums were indeed made in the USA. However, production was moved to China at some point not too terribly long after in order for us to compete on price with other brands at that price point. I do not have the exact date, however.

Andy

jadmt

ignore button user
The very early WARN VR and Magnums were indeed made in the USA. However, production was moved to China at some point not too terribly long after in order for us to compete on price with other brands at that price point. I do not have the exact date, however.

Andy

when I called Warn to complain after mine showed up with a made in china on the box Warn told me that the original plan was to assemble them in Oregon but that did not ever actually happen and that they were imported. This was some time around 2013 I don't remember exact date. Not saying you are wrong but makes me wonder if I was out right lied to or you are misinformed. I know at the time it bugged me that Warn was advertising that they were assembled in Oregon yet it clearly stated made in China on them.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The Badlands from Harbor Freight has been getting some rave reviews from a lot of the hard core crawler guys here, and that alone speaks volumes to me.

If you decide on that route, join their TEXT notification thing. I got a text the other day they were having a 4 hour sale with any one item 33% off. I've seen those pop up several times

Cruisn

Adventurer
I bought a Dominator 12000lbs winch for my wagon, cost 400 AUD shipped to my door, came already spooled with rope, and wireless controller. Been on the wagon for a year and has been used 3 times in total and worked perfectly each time.
the first use was a single line pull through deep sand uphill and it did it without issues.
I havent had to use it in an emergency situation or a lost in the bush stuck yet so when that time comes we shall see if it was worth the money.

My issues was I looked at warn and got the same issue, made in china but assembled in the US which to me didnt matter. its either all done in country with quality or not. the price differnece is 600-800 for me depending on what level of warn i bought vs the cheap winch.

And looking at there site its still 400 shipped.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
when I called Warn to complain after mine showed up with a made in china on the box Warn told me that the original plan was to assemble them in Oregon but that did not ever actually happen and that they were imported. This was some time around 2013 I don't remember exact date. Not saying you are wrong but makes me wonder if I was out right lied to or you are misinformed. I know at the time it bugged me that Warn was advertising that they were assembled in Oregon yet it clearly stated made in China on them.

jadmt,

I looked into this a bit and found the first batches of VR were indeed coming out of our factory in Oregon. The VR8000 was sent overseas around May '12. The VR10000 and VR12000 were moved over there around March '13. VR was introduced in 2011. Previous to VR, we offered our Tabor 9k and Tabor 12k winches.

If you spoke with someone in our customer service team about this back in '13 and they told you they were never made in our factory, they provided you incorrect info; I apologize for that.

Andy

rayra

Expedition Leader
Well I got my heavy duty wiring project completed, bumper to bumper, ALT to SB175 plugs, a 200A system throughout. I now have everything except the winch itself.
And since now both I and my missus are covid-unemployed, that's going to have to wait.

winch157 rear plug jumper cables.jpg
winch173 front plug.jpg
winch119 solenoid reloc.jpg
winch172 front plug.jpg
winch155 rear plug conduits.jpg

billiebob

The big question, 7 years later, how is that Made in China WARN Winch working ??

billiebob

Extremely well lost count of the pulls. I snow wheel so getting stuck is a fact. Synthetic line still going strong too.
Good to know. Myth Busters at work, China can build as well as anyone else IF the spec tells them too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles