Inexpensive vs. Expensive Winch

67cj5

Man On a Mission
And somebody watching over their shoulder making sure they do it.
No not really, China makes some of the best gear on the planet, The Winches they use in Ship Building or any other of their Heavy Industries are not made in the US, China makes Top Quality Winches that rival any other Winches made by any other country in the world and they don't charge excessive prices for all the added extras that come standard with their Winches,

jadmt

ignore button user
for me if i had my druthers i would purchase made in the USA if given a choice. Many things are out of my control but when they are i would pick USA made.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Both my Warn and my Harbor Freight winches seem to require about the same amount of maintenance and repairs. Sometimes "maintenance" on the HF unit is dropping it off at the store and picking up a new one. If I need parts, it's a crapshoot on ebay. Parts for the Warn are a phone call away...

If desired or necessitated by budget, Chinese parts for the Warns can be scrounged on ebay...

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Ha !
Obvious this guy never had dealings with Chinese manufacturers.
Or, simply misses a point no matter how plainly obvious.
I did not miss anything leased of all the Redneck mentality,

There has always been an Anti China sentiment problem in the US, This brings a constant putdown of anything made in China, Many US companies want to save money and make more profit along with the pollution Regs in the US in the Laws of manufacturing certain products like plastics etc and The US has moved a lot of their manufacturing processes to China,

I also like to buy American made and Canadian made products, All my Optics are leupold, My Parkas are Canada Goose, My Wellington Boots are Made in Canada Baffin Titans all my other Boots are Baffin and Sorels made in China or Vietnam Which I imported from America From an American Company/Store, My Multitools are always made in Oregon "Leatherman" All my Jump Starters and Battery Chargers are Made By Noco another American Company which are most likely Made In China, My Jacks are Made In Oregon By Hi-Lift Nothing else on the planet is as Good, Regardless of where things are made I still try to buy things from US, Canadian and Australian Companies.

Here's a list of the Best Products on the Planet that as used by many of us here and they are the Market leaders and they are all Made In and Around China and Owned by US and Australian Companies

My Boots I imported from America are made in China but they are Canadian/US SPEC and they are the best on the planet,
My Vacuum Flasks are All Stanley/Aladdin which are made in China and they out Perform "ALL" of my US Made Stanley Flasks which are junk
My NOCO Boosters and Chargers are ALL made In China yet they are the Best Money can Buy,
My Dometic Fridges are made There too
My Dometic PLB-40 Lithium Battery Packs are made somewhere over there too and they are the best power packs on the planet
My ARB 50Qt and 82Qt Fridges are Made somewhere over there Also and they have to be one of if not the Best 4x4 fridges on the Market. Even though they are an Australian Company,
Engel Fridges are legendry and they are made somewhere in Asia,
A lot of Dometic products are Made in China yet they are the oldest Portable / RV Fridge Company in the World and they make fridges for about 85% of the Fridges for other Companies,

From this list it is clear to see that this American Made Hype is unfounded and based on how things use to be in the 1950's/60's, Clearly China's skills when it comes to production are as good if not better than those of the countries who use to make them, We are talking proven Top of the Line items here, And Yes China does make a lot of cheap junk that does not last but there again so does America, Does anyone remember the Ford Explorer Vs Firestone epic that took so many American Lives ??? So please don't tell me American made is best because the families of Explorer Owners would disagree about that.

If Warn is making Winches in China then it is a matter of Geography Not Quality.

Last edited:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
It's about time some of you folk in the USA opened up your eyes and minds to what is made where.

Warn have been involved with Chinese manufacturing for years. The reason I avoid Warn winches isn't the Chinese connection; they make good winches. No I avoid Warn because it's a poor design. They break, regularly. Simple fact

The King One TDS is probably the best value for money winch in the 4x4 market. It's made in China, sold under Lord knows how many names across the world and is rated highly across the world. Designed by a a Chinese woman, in China, built in China. Does the job.

Most dampers are Chinese built

I would argue with 67CJ5 on his statement about large commercial winches though - the best are actually built in Taiwan

Fact, gentlemen, the USA makes some good stuff but other countries around the world make stuff that's better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior