INEOS Grenadier

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Why go with BMW? why not Ford? As far as I know BMW engines are great, but not mechanically simple. Though it might be the most charismatic engines as well.
If simplicity is the virtue would it not be better to go with more simpler engines? Ford, MAN and Volvo being one of them... or even Toyota (aka good old American engines :D)

Maybe BMW is offering INESO something different and "simplified" than we were told?

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
Because they are using Steyr to design the mechanics. They would only look for German drivetrains.

soflorovers

Because they are using Steyr to design the mechanics. They would only look for German drivetrains.
They also have experience with the BMW B58 engine because they're currently stuffing it into the Toyota Supra. Additionally, there's the fact that the BMW B58 is globally used (USA, EU, LatAM, etc...), so it would make sense for them to use a powertrain that is globally certified rather than some oddball choice.

roving1

This was a cool nugget from Wikipedia I thought.

"The B58 also features an engine-mounted heat encapsulation system to reduce engine wear and emissions during start-up.[13]

As a part of BMW's new modular engine family, the crankcase is a completely new design identical to the B57 diesel version,[14] engineered as both a gasoline and diesel engine in one common part. The closed deck crankcase is equipped with a completely new structure which can be identified by a complex array of ribs on the exhaust and intake side and an additional reinforcement frame on the oil pump side."

gungriffin

As crazy as it sounds, these single twin scroll turbo BMW engines are reasonably reliable. The N54 was the first main stream turbo charging venture and had some issues, but the N55 and B58 have proven to be fairly good. BMW sucks at building reliable V8 engines and in car electronics. It is good at building an inline 6 engine though. The use of the B58 should be really good for international emissions requirements which is probably helping Ineos with homoligation to country requirements. The video below shows some really trick parts of the B58. Oh and the tuning community for the B58 is amazing. So if you want to add 200 HP to the engine, you will be able to do that from day 1. This will help it appeal to more buyers even if tuning isn't appealing to everyone.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
That Andrew guys is the biggest dork. Even if He may be right ever word that comes out of his nerdy mouth makes me want to hit him. 5A6366B9-7074-4D31-8D61-B75E6B5D41E5.jpeg

Last edited:

Corgi_express

I mean, he’s wrong too - but also a nerd. Everything he says is biased by high school drama because he’s being a crybaby about how Land Rover stopped inviting him to events after he trashed them unfairly. The only people who take anything he says about LR seriously are ones who, just like him, already have their own biases.

JeepColorado

I mean, he’s wrong too - but also a nerd. Everything he says is biased by high school drama because he’s being a crybaby about how Land Rover stopped inviting him to events after he trashed them unfairly. The only people who take anything he says about LR seriously are ones who, just like him, already have their own biases.

I still didn't see you refute a single thing he said with logic or facts; just more name calling. It's clear that LR did nothing special with this car. It's an extension of the Discovery, a fine car, but nothing special and certainly not anything like what could have been with the Ineos- which given the buzz on the forums- it's reasonable to say, is seen as something special.

Red90

Adventurer

Why is being a nerd bad? Do you have a long history of being a bully?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles