INEOS Grenadier

Grassland

I'm getting really tired of living in an anomalous zone.
Such a bizarre province, that does everything different than the rest of North America.

ABBB

I'm getting really tired of living in an anomalous zone.
Such a bizarre province, that does everything different than the rest of North America.

Trade that house for a mobile home under 7000# and you can tow to less bizarre surrounds!

Grassland

Seriously, I've read your posts, consider moving if you are not happy where you are. Canada is a big country with a lot to offer. Come on out to BC. You can find almost any kind of community here and the AC guys have been going flat out since last year's heat dome.

On the Grenadier, I sure hope they're selling 'cause they took my deposit. Don't know what our country allocation is, if there is one. Might be only 50 for first year.

I haven't looked at service but I'm in the city so not too worried. Besides, for us if we proceed this would be more of a collector type car - the HJ60 I should have bought, the D90 my wife always wanted. I expect they'll sell enough similar novelty to get started. After that who knows, esp it being a new product with an ICE.
We have 12.5 more years of ICE sales, so if u get a new one next year, and the vehicle is commercial grade and meant to last 20+ years you could drive it well until they stop selling fuel for non commercial use. (Which I assume government would do first, as industry and farming probably won't be able to switch to electric as easily as consumers)
The idea of a commercial grade vehicle meant to last decades is the biggest appeal to me for this vehicle, but if it's orphaned by supply chain/support because Canada is too small a market, it doesn't matter.

I've been unable to convince my wife to move, and since she is the bread winner, she's in charge.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
So Ineos won't be selling to the fleets over here; 2 outcomes from that: 1) No volume sales 2) Strong(er) residuals

Why won't they be selling to fleets? They won't be getting a 5* ANCAP crash rating due to not including a range of driver aids.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
So Ineos won't be selling to the fleets over here; 2 outcomes from that: 1) No volume sales 2) Strong(er) residuals

Why won't they be selling to fleets? They won't be getting a 5* ANCAP crash rating due to not including a range of driver aids.

It sounds like they don’t really want to sell to fleets. I know it’s a totally different market down there, in the states fleet sales would be non existent anyways.

You make it sound as though that bc Ineos isn’t offering options of upsizing tires that doing so is somehow an exercise only in vanity. There are countless trails 20 minutes from my front door that 10” of ground clearance and 31” tires simply won’t cut it. You’ll end up high centered, with damaged parts, or having your buddy winch you every 10 minutes.

You can hate on “overlanders” all you want, but lots of people interested in the IG are out and about bc of their love of the activity of exploring and/or making their vehicles more capable and not for a sense of identity, not that there’s anything wrong with anyone doing what brings them happiness or they believe is necessary in their personal process of self-discovery. If big tires do it for you, you should get yourself some big tires.

Further, you conveniently left out one significant factor in the development of the IG, and that’s economics. You, and we, have no idea why they made the decisions they did. It’s a complex mix of application and utility across infinite use cases. I don’t disagree that a vehicle is often designed to operate with the equipment that comes on it from the manufacturer, but not ever vehicle is designed in that manner and I think many people expect the IG to be a platform for personalization that other vehicles are not.

Also, if 35s weren’t useful then IG wouldn’t have put them on for testing in Sweden and South Africa, two places which they publicized this kind of use. Who knows how many other locations they tested this in and whether they tested it as a potential offering or anticipating that people would make this very mod. Perhaps even Sir Jim himself.

I'm a little late to this party, but I couldn't agree more ABBB. I no longer have my JKU on 35s, and there are now a bunch of trails that are off-limits given my current rig (a 2017 Tacoma, 1.5 inch lift, 32-inch tires). I made the change for reasons that make sense for me - but I miss the access the JKU & 35s provided.

I also agree with another point you made: the decision by Ineos to sell the Grenadier on 265/70/R17 (31.5 inch tires) will have been influenced by many factors - it would be wrong to assume that the decision was driven by a determination that the 31.5 inch tire is the only tire-size anyone will ever need. Here is a Grenadier on 35s being tested in Iceland:

Grenadier_18_35s_Iceland.jpg

SkiWill

I suspect that a significant factor with deciding on 31.5" tires stock is fuel economy requirements and safety standards. This is a vehicle that is ~5,700 lbs with the aerodynamics of a refrigerator and a 90l or 23.8 gallon fuel tank. Range is important, and if they threw 35s on it from the factory, I bet it would struggle to do more than 330 miles on a tank of gasoline. It may well struggle to achieve 330 miles of range with 31.5" tires particularly in a Wyoming headwind.

Regardless, it's nice to know it's been tested for 35s if that's what you need. I probably don't and am more interested in range. Also, with safety considerations such as rollover risk, pedestrian safety, bumper height etc. of the EU, North America, and Australia all having to be met simultaneously, it shouldn't be a surprise that smaller tires are going on the first deliveries.

I'm really hoping they come my way to Utah with their 2B prototype USA tour so I can see one in person. Right now they are only booking for the overloading meccas of Tampa and Miami.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke