INEOS Grenadier

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
He is making a good point why the BMW engine makes sense. It is a proven I-6. Has been around for a decade.

paachi

Given the reputation of the Canning Stock Route, and what it did to the fleet of G-Wagen's, it'll be interesting how it pans out for Ineos:

Nice find and IMHO a very good test for Ineos to put the Grenadier through. I applaud them (and Mercedes) to do this publicly. It’s a brutal route and probably a the best real world Overland test for the vehicle. I do hope they share the outcomes both bouquets and brickbats on what worked and what failed.

On the G Wagens the main thing that failed was the shocks and only in the 463s. Understandable since they were running on 20s if my memory serves me right. The military spec 461 was running on 16s. I am betting the Grenadier should traverse it fine given it’s 17” wheels and softer suspension. It will definitely put the electronics to test with all the desert dust

Cayenne-958-TDI

Just listened to this video,
we too were impressed with the Grenadier and Ineos approach & honesty when we got to see it in the PNW last week.
INEOS GRENADIER I We Drive "init" — Jan 23, 2022 by africa overland
Simon, Mike & Tim are invited to come take a look at the INEOS GRENADIER Prototype and are taken for a ride along. Come enjoy a fun crazy day with the three of us as we ask a bunch of questions you might just want the answers to .... and make a host of assumptions about the final product. Hats off to the INEOS marketing team for a great day out and excellent catering. Thanks also to Tim Abbott for answering our questions and to Ricky our awesome driver and host.

ABBB

Is there any indication/sense from those who have seen or been following the Grenadier’s development how much tire will fit under the fenders and what type of lift might suit the vehicle best in light of its suspension? Looks like it comes with a 265/70 which is about 31”. Wondering whether/how it could get into 33” or 35” shoes.

paachi

33” will fit easy with no mods (heard and saw this during the factory prototype tour in SF). There is a prototype running 35s in SA which is shown in some videos. I think 35” can be done with a modest lift. What I didn’t like about the 35”s in the prototype was the amount the stuck out of the wheel wells. Kinda spoiled the proportions for me. IMHO 33” look really at home on this rig

Also while I think they may clear, the 35” spare might be real close for the smaller cargo door to clear while opening. 33s no problems to carry as a spare

ABBB

33” will fit easy with no mods (heard and saw this during the factory prototype tour in SF). There is a prototype running 35s in SA which is shown in some videos. I think 35” can be done with a modest lift. What I didn’t like about the 35”s in the prototype was the amount the stuck out of the wheel wells. Kinda spoiled the proportions for me. IMHO 33” look really at home on this rig

Also while I think they may clear, the 35” spare might be real close for the smaller cargo door to clear while opening. 33s no problems to carry as a spare

Thanks for reply. I wonder what the specs on the 35s were and whether they were mounted on stock wheels? Suppose they could have changed something up to make additional width as compensation for more height? Would like to know what kind of 35s, you recall which video you saw them in?

ABBB

I think this is the video. The wheels don’t look stock. I could be wrong though.

That is certainly a beefier setup! Some more poke with the wheels but that’s a strong, wide stance that looks much better equipped for backcountry navigation. I’d have more confidence in that particular vehicle for my purposes than the stock one I see skitting around vineyards earlier in the video. I’m sure both are capable, just meant for different tasks.

I put a query in to Ineos to find out more about modifications necessary to accommodate 35s and beadlocks, if this will be a factory option, and whether warranty would be affected if not. I will post a follow-up if/when I hear back from them.

paachi

About 24 gallons or 90 liters. My understanding is that it’s the same size as the diesel version. Wish they had put a larger one to utilize the space left open by adblue tanks.

I took some (pretty average quality) videos of the underbody when I saw it in SF. You can see the fuel tank and the open space where the adblue tanks would be.

Grenadier walk around 5 - Underbody aft of the rear axle

Grenadier walk around 4 - Underbody passenger side

Last edited:

ABBB

About 24 gallons or 90 liters. My undeniable that it’s the same size as the diesel version. Wish they had put a larger one to utilize the space left open by adblue tanks.

I took some (pretty average quality) videos of the underbody when I saw it in SF. You can see the fuel tank and the open space where the adblue tanks would be.

Grenadier walk around 5 - Underbody aft of the rear axle

Grenadier walk around 4 - Underbody passenger side

Thanks for re-posting. SF as in San Francisco? Curious how it was you got access to look over the vehicle. Any idea if there’ll be more walkaround events? I’m in southern Oregon, would love to lay eyes on one whether I pre-order or not. Torn between this and a new Bronco. My fingers are crossed they offer the same five year unlimited mileage warranty in the US that they’re offering on launch for the Aussies, that would be a big sway in favor of purchasing an Ineos over a Ford.

paachi

Sorry yeah..SF is San Francisco. They just did a tour of the vehicle in late Jan here and on 7th Feb in Portland. They are doing a tour on Feb 15 and 22nd at Denver and Chicago respectively. Maybe you can take a trip and go see it there.

Check out this thread: https://www.theineosforum.com/post/chicago-denver-2b-prototype-walkthrough-12264885?pid=1331824584

Also there was a lot of insights we collated after the Portland, LA and SF tours in this thread. Might be a good read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke