INEOS Grenadier

utherjorge

Observer
I get a good laugh out of answers like this.

Three years, 100 million dollars and a hundred engineers, who've apparently all agreed on meaningless solid axles, and simple farkle to trick wannabe Defender owners, and then built 200 pre-production models, not to test, but to continue the ruse.

So, what is the "Ruse," to you? And where did I miss that they aren't testing them? Or were you commenting on someone else suggesting that? Genuinely confused.

utherjorge

Observer
This is why I'm so interested in this truck. The Ram TRX uses a version of the ZF 8, so who'll be the first to swap in a hellcat motor and blow up the diffs. Gear driven T-case too. It has great potential, I just want to see it actually show up.

No offense to the purists in this thread, but this grenadier screams 37x12.50r18s with a bit more stututu under the hood. Perfect for America.

I wonder how much other "stuff" will bolt on? As in..."we built this blank canvas for you, go crazy?"

nickw

Adventurer
I get a good laugh out of answers like this.

Three years, 100 million dollars and a hundred engineers, who've apparently all agreed on meaningless solid axles, and simple farkle to trick wannabe Defender owners, and then built 200 pre-production models, not to test, but to continue the ruse.

OK.
I am not saying it's not well designed (for what it is)...but as you can see from this thread, there is absolutely a demographic that thinks they need SA's....why not tap into that? This is a business venture first and foremost, if they think they can sell them, more power to them.....but I am solidly (or independently) in the camp of this is simply a retro-throwback for the sake of retro-throwback vs true functional engineering....nothing wrong with that at all, I think it's cool but just trying to cut through the BS and be intellectually honest regarding it's purpose.

Toyota has thousands of engineers and they landed on IFS for the majority of their rigs - the SA's shouldn't impress overlanders....this is coming from a guy with a new full size dodge w/SA's....it's meaningless and frankly doesn't offer much benefit.

No diesel for NA, and 2023 before it hits our shores. I would assume we might be able to see some press vehicles this time next year, but haven't heard yet.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The reason they are putting a gas engine in the Grenadier is actually the US market (and a few posh people in London).
Other markets such as Afrika, the Serfdom of Europe and the Lost Soviet Colony of Australia will get a diesel.

There were some good points made here, I hope they will address them and the final version would be more refined one.
They say they have tested it for1 million km, which is 620K miles. If this is actually true it is not bad at all.

nickw

Adventurer
They say they have tested it for1 million km, which is 620K miles. If this is actually true it is not bad at all.
What does that mean? (6) rigs 100k each? One rig 620k? How many repairs were required, what sort of conditions? I'm guessing most manuf test for millions of miles on any new vehicle but doesn't directly = reliability or longevity, it really depends on what their design parameters are along with their MTBF expectations.

In the case of Ineos - they are using off the shelf products that have design life engineered into them, the engine and trans out of the BMW had longevity test done prior to them getting their hands on them, regardless of what Ineos tested too. Same for axles and any other sourced part since (as far as I know) none of the parts were specifically designed for them and probably fall well within the std. expectations of most modern rigs.

Toyota for instance built LC 70 series using their own Toyota axles, engine, trans, etc....they had full control over design life expectancy / MTBF (or MTBO in the case of the 70) of those items.

What does that mean? (6) rigs 100k each? One rig 620k? How many repairs were required, what sort of conditions? I'm guessing most manuf test for millions of miles on any new vehicle but doesn't directly = reliability or longevity, it really depends on what their design parameters are along with their MTBF expectations.

In the case of Ineos - they are using off the shelf products that have design life engineered into them, the engine and trans out of the BMW had longevity test done prior to them getting their hands on them, regardless of what Ineos tested too. Same for axles and any other sourced part since (as far as I know) none of the parts were specifically designed for them and probably fall well within the std. expectations of most modern rigs.

Toyota for instance built LC 70 series using their own Toyota axles, engine, trans, etc....they had full control over design life expectancy / MTBF (or MTBO in the case of the 70) of those items.

Multiple vehicles for 1 million km. I don't think anyone could expect a brand new vehicle to survive that long. They're testing in numerous different environments. This can all be found on the Grenadier website which, IMO, is relatively up front and open about their testing procedures. They don't seem to be making much of a point about longevity testing, but more about reliability/functionality in adverse conditions. Which makes sense if they are actually targeting commercial fleets.

nickw

Adventurer
Multiple vehicles for 1 million km. I don't think anyone could expect a brand new vehicle to survive that long. They're testing in numerous different environments. This can all be found on the Grenadier website which, IMO, is relatively up front and open about their testing procedures. They don't seem to be making much of a point about longevity testing, but more about reliability/functionality in adverse conditions. Which makes sense if they are actually targeting commercial fleets.

Do you have a link to the million mile testing?

nickw

Adventurer
I found this one, and there are a bunch of others that echo the same thing, which has the feel of a press release at that time:

Thanks - hard to discern what "130 vehicles for 1.8m K" actually means....thats an average of what, 13k per rig?

utherjorge

Observer
Thanks - hard to discern what "130 vehicles for 1.8m K" actually means....thats an average of what, 13k per rig?
I believe your math is correct...unless they did some things like jumped a couple, and then took them apart to see what broke. I have to assume that a couple hit the highway and just drooooooooove, whereas the rest did...stuff?

I definitely want to see more, and I think within 5 years I'll be in a position to get something as a "forever" vehicle. My GX is that now, but in 5 years it will be near 300k miles, so options are always good.

nickw

Adventurer
I believe your math is correct...unless they did some things like jumped a couple, and then took them apart to see what broke. I have to assume that a couple hit the highway and just drooooooooove, whereas the rest did...stuff?

I definitely want to see more, and I think within 5 years I'll be in a position to get something as a "forever" vehicle. My GX is that now, but in 5 years it will be near 300k miles, so options are always good.
I (personally) think your GX is about as good as it gets for domestic expedition work....we almost bought one back in 08ish.

Grassland

I'm a bit confused, but coming from pickup trucks, where you can get a volume trim 4 seater with power windows and locks and a solid rear axle and locker, outside of Covid pricing for 40k CAD, how an 80k SUV offers something commercially unless it's twice as reliable.

It looks good and having switches and dials instead of touch screens and similar is something I like. Being made specifically to be durable and long lasting is also nice. That price tag doesn't seem at all competitive to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles