INEOS Grenadier

paachi

Loving the interior. Well thought through I feel and it looks like each sections plates are removable to allow for debugging/ switching out if required.

Although it also looks like BMW had their way with Ineos pushing the iDrive and auto shifter knob

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Although it also looks like BMW had their way with Ineos pushing the iDrive and auto shifter knob
emoji1787.png

Not a bad thing actually since using their drivetrain, meaning replication of parts.
I too am very impressed with the interior, extremely well done!! Still optimistic we get them Stateside…

naks

Other than the seats and the interior packaging, that interior is vomit-inducing.

I'd probably kill myself just at the sight of that steering wheel.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm not convinced on the dashboard either - but that's because I think I'm used to much older dashboards with fewer things. It just seemed busy, and over detailed.

The Daihatsu has a pull knob for the headlights, another one for the blower fan, and one for the windscreen wipers. Oh, and a choke. Hazards are a little pull knob on the steering column, heating is controlled by 3 levers on the heater core (hot/cold. fresh or recirculated, cook your feet or melt the windscreen). Even my 80 only has 3 levers for the heating, and only a few buttons for other functions.

They certainly took inspiration from the 70 series Land Cruiser dashboard with the exposed screw heads, but I'm not sure they've pulled it off like Toyota did.... but that might be because the Toyota dash was designed in the 1980s, whilst this has been "designed" in the 2010s/2020 to look like something that was designed in the 1980s.

utherjorge

Observer
Other than the seats and the interior packaging, that interior is vomit-inducing.

What a collection of silly comments. The interior packaging is the entire point of the rig

I think the idea behind the steering wheel is pretty cool, but I like leather goods. What, pray tell, would cause you to "vomit"?

utherjorge

Observer
Yeah, I'm not convinced on the dashboard either - but that's because I think I'm used to much older dashboards with fewer things. It just seemed busy, and over detailed.

The Daihatsu has a pull knob for the headlights, another one for the blower fan, and one for the windscreen wipers. Oh, and a choke. Hazards are a little pull knob on the steering column, heating is controlled by 3 levers on the heater core (hot/cold. fresh or recirculated, cook your feet or melt the windscreen). Even my 80 only has 3 levers for the heating, and only a few buttons for other functions.

They certainly took inspiration from the 70 series Land Cruiser dashboard with the exposed screw heads, but I'm not sure they've pulled it off like Toyota did.... but that might be because the Toyota dash was designed in the 1980s, whilst this has been "designed" in the 2010s/2020 to look like something that was designed in the 1980s.
I scrapped a Daihatsu Rocky a couple of years ago, and the interior was...meh, but Scats are like those old LJ Suzuki's right?

I like this interior and the points behind it, and since there "had" to be some fancy shizz in there, like heated seats and what not, there "had" to be more. Is it too much? I dunno. My wife's Acadia's center stack is an abortion. Seriously, the worst design I've ever seen. So, my GX and Amigo a so much less cluttered. I think the "clutter" that exists here matches purpose.

My biggest concern here is the BMW materials. I know that Land Rover stuff is a nightmare, but I don't know enough about BMW stuff to know that it is a good thing or not. I guess it's time to start researching.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
I scrapped a Daihatsu Rocky a couple of years ago, and the interior was...meh, but Scats are like those old LJ Suzuki's right?

I like this interior and the points behind it, and since there "had" to be some fancy shizz in there, like heated seats and what not, there "had" to be more. Is it too much? I dunno. My wife's Acadia's center stack is an abortion. Seriously, the worst design I've ever seen. So, my GX and Amigo a so much less cluttered. I think the "clutter" that exists here matches purpose.

My biggest concern here is the BMW materials. I know that Land Rover stuff is a nightmare, but I don't know enough about BMW stuff to know that it is a good thing or not. I guess it's time to start researching.

Yep, the Daihatsu is like the LJ Suzuki, so very metallic, very little plastic. Depends on which "Rocky" you had - there was the tough as old boots Rocky that was square, and had a 2.8 diesel or about a 2.0 petrol in it, or there was the USA market Rocky that was called a Feroza or Sportrak in the rest of the world, and was much lighter duty. The square Rocky is still a popular ute around here, much the same as the Scat as they're both quite light and small.

I agree on the heated seats - I miss them from when I had Volvo wagons in the UK - but I think we've lost the simplicity of some of the early integrated controls from the steering wheel, and some of the other elements in the dash ergonomics.

utherjorge

Observer
Yep, the Daihatsu is like the LJ Suzuki, so very metallic, very little plastic. Depends on which "Rocky" you had - there was the tough as old boots Rocky that was square, and had a 2.8 diesel or about a 2.0 petrol in it, or there was the USA market Rocky that was called a Feroza or Sportrak in the rest of the world, and was much lighter duty. The square Rocky is still a popular ute around here, much the same as the Scat as they're both quite light and small.

I agree on the heated seats - I miss them from when I had Volvo wagons in the UK - but I think we've lost the simplicity of some of the early integrated controls from the steering wheel, and some of the other elements in the dash ergonomics.
Mine was the Feroza elsewhere. I had gotten pretty good at knowing what parts would work for me, and from where I could get them. I had a full collection of stuff...and then I blew the head gasket, got it repaired at a decent amount of money...and got 200 miles out of it before it blew again, this time with a cracked head AND block. If you search the USA, just about any Feroza/US Rocky needs engine work, and a used block with no guarantee costs 5k American, shipped from Japan. So, sadly, off it went.

If I can get my Amigo dialed in (almost there!) I would look for an old Scat or LJ for playtime. The wife would likely kill me.

I almost refuse to buy new because things are overcomplicated. My plan is to make my GX (you all call it a Prado 120, I believe) my forever vehicle. I have been paying attention to the Ineos, though. If they roll out a short wheelbase one here in the US, it will be hard for me to say no.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor

Well, certainly helped make the LR3 one of if not the most reliable LR to date?!

utherjorge

Observer
Well, certainly helped make the LR3 one of if not the most reliable LR to date?!

From what I have been reading this week, around and about, the BMW items in the LR3 are something problematic; the BMW stuff off the shelf is one of its few weaknesses, or no?

Carson G

LR3 has Ford switches and tech on the inside with Denso for engine management. The early L322’s had all the BMW switchgear and electronics and they’re the most unreliable LR ever built.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Agree on the early L322’s- had one of the two G4 RR’s and it was a bit sad. However, compared to the early D-90’s, it was a dream! They all (Defenders) eventually got sorted…
The LR3 works because the overall design and implementation as well as QC were well integrated- the whole, not just the sum of it’s parts. I hated Canbus initially, like when the radio and phone wouldn’t link. But long term, it proved a huge improvement electrically.
Regardless, has not much to do with the Grenadier which is a whole new, fresh paper design! Also, it appears they have the right design parameters for the ‘real user’ client versus poseur status. For example, The interior makes much sense grouping like systems instead of searching high and low for whatever switch.
I’ve been driving and wheeling LR products since ‘93, with the occasional Jeep and G wagon added in at times, and am very hopeful we get these vehicles! I for one would love to condense my array of vehicles down to just one…

Riptide

Explorer
I think the interior is absolutely awesome. The individual switch plates shows a complete understanding of the target audience. Easy to change, easy to maintain, and great incentive for 3rd parties to make drop-in components. I have absolutely despised the work it takes to rip out a console or dash just to add something new. True, there is a nod to the modern, and we all have different thresholds for that. I personally don't like that my audio, nav, and HVAC is all controlled by one un-upgradable/unchangeable module in my 200 LC. It's too many eggs in one basket, it is really more of a show of technological know-how than adding anything of real use.

Honestly, there hasn't been really much of anything that I don't like about the Grenadier. I can only assume that they are selecting and vetting the drivetrain with as much rigor as the rest of the vehicle. They really have placed function at the top of the list, as far as I can tell. My only real questions are price, and dealer support in the US.

Anxious to get a drive in one!!

T-Willy

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Luckily that won't stain and is easily hosed out.

I too like the interior. As with the rest of the truck, it adheres to straightforwardness and utility but without sacrificing comfort. Refreshing.

Edit: And I really appreciate that they've opted for reliance on phones and tablets, whose technology will continue to evolve quickly, rather than a built in system whose function and aesthetic will become antiquated in time. It's a nod to longevity and avoiding needless complexity and malfunction down the road.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke