INEOS Grenadier

Highlander

The Good Shepherd
That same time period has seen Land Cruiser's gentrification; inflation-adjusted MSRP has increased by nearly 60 percent.
I don't want to change the course of the discussion, but I can't hold my self from asking this question
Has the LC become 60 percent better vehicle / rig than what it was say in 90s? as much as I like the LC I don't think the price increase was proportional to its design / quality/ capability.

T-Willy

I don't want to change the course of the discussion, but I can't hold my self from asking this question
Has the LC become 60 percent better vehicle / rig than what it was say in 90s? as much as I like the LC I don't think the price increase was proportional to its design / quality/ capability.
I think it's a relevant footnote to the Grenadier discussion; those comparisons inform consumer choices.

In my opinion the answer to your question is no. Land Cruiser 200s can be spec'd in other markets at an inflation-adjusted MSRP similar to that of the early 90s Land Cruisers, albeit with non-5.7L power trains that are still perfectly capable and reliable.

I would much rather have a non-luxury spec 200 with all of the mechanical reliability and none of the costly frills--a Land Cruiser SR5, if you will. I'm glad Grenadier has its sights set on filling that niche.

Recommended books for Overlanding

Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
by Ewan McGregor, Charley Boorman
From $16.69
Adventure Motorcycling Handbook: A Route & Planning Guide
by Chris Scott
From $17.49
Motorcycle Messengers: Tales from the Road by Writers who...
by Lois Pryce, Mark Richardson, Carla King, Sam Manic...
From $9.99

ChasingOurTrunks

Done deal .....

Great news, as far as I'm concerned. Without wading into the politics of Brexit and the implications on car building that might bring, the brass-tacks of this means that Ineos now owns a car plant rather than having to build one from scratch. That moves them MUCH closer to production than they were a month or two ago, and makes it a lot more likely that this will be a real vehicle we can buy next year/early 2022. Plus, there's something to be said about a workforce that is used to building Mercedes -- that's not exactly a bad thing in terms of quality. Granted, the car in question (Smart EQ Fourtwo) isn't exactly heralded as the pinnacle of motoring, but the critiques I've seen on the Fourtwo are mostly based on design, not quality control/production.

I know that, being the 'spiritual' successor of the Classic Defender, having it not built in Britain will be a mark against it for some folks, but I still see this as very good news.

T-Willy

Great news, as far as I'm concerned. Without wading into the politics of Brexit and the implications on car building that might bring, the brass-tacks of this means that Ineos now owns a car plant rather than having to build one from scratch. That moves them MUCH closer to production than they were a month or two ago, and makes it a lot more likely that this will be a real vehicle we can buy next year/early 2022. Plus, there's something to be said about a workforce that is used to building Mercedes -- that's not exactly a bad thing in terms of quality. Granted, the car in question (Smart EQ Fourtwo) isn't exactly heralded as the pinnacle of motoring, but the critiques I've seen on the Fourtwo are mostly based on design, not quality control/production.

I know that, being the 'spiritual' successor of the Classic Defender, having it not built in Britain will be a mark against it for some folks, but I still see this as very good news.
This move makes their launch date a lot more realistic; I'm starting to get excited. It's not that far away (as these things go). Among the various offerings to consider for a new remote touring rig, Grenadier checks the most boxes for me right now.

ChasingOurTrunks

Looks like interior is going to be revealed early in the new year. Some other neat developments/milestones talked about here too:

And this video is a bit of a look at the 4 main inspirations of the Grenadier. If they pull this off, the Gren is exactly what a lot of us want I think: