Indoor dutch oven on a tripod

R4D4R

Anyone rig up a handle for an indoor dutch oven to hang from a tripod?
I have a standard Lodge 10" DO that doenst have a wire handle, just the side handles. Ive used it on the campfire in the past, but may not be able to this time around. We are beach camping and wont have a fire ring or any other good place to set it. Was thinking of getting a tripod and hanging it, but not sure if I hang it with a home made handle will be wobbly. Dont want it dumping all over the place.
Suggestions?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
While I have suspended Dutch ovens on tripods, they are tippy.

Probably better to get one of those cheap folding cooking grates and put a sheet metal pan on on it to hold the coals. That is what we always do, although DO cooking is becoming infrequent as more and more fire bans impact our camping.

Also, a fire pan like a metal oil drain pan or livestock watering pan with a grill grate over the top works nicely. I think I use a hog pan and a Smokey Joe grate right now.

R4D4R

I normally bring a round grill grate on our trips, but we will be directly on the beach and without anything to set the grate on. Thats why im looking for options.

TwinStick

Explorer
We have one of those big 36" folding cooking grates. We love it for exactly that reason. Cooking over open fire when no fire ring w/grill is available. Another way I use it is to get 2 of those big disposable foil type oven pans, fill it up with charcoal & light it & put grill grate over it. Nothing touches the ground. Easy to dispose of after it is thoroughly out & cold to the touch.

Something else I picked up & love, is The All American Grill, from the Made in America Store. You can use anything on it. Frying pan, DO without hanger, I can also use the 12" DO with legs & handle. Very versatile. Expensive but it's something that will outlast you with minimal care.

Last edited:

Steve_P

No way I would use a tripod indoors. Depending on what burner you're using a flat bottom DO will just sit on the burner grate. If using a legged DO you might need to remove the grate and set the DO on the stove top to get it level. For small single burners you may want to use a folding trivit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz