Indiana to Moab, first timer...

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Karma....... and all that

The girl....... It's all about doing the right thing...... ya never know....... No head lamps? ( If your issues with the shock had occured at night......) drinking too much? In the bush at night and walking around (no head lamp?) if your buddy had cracked his head up bad or broken a limb you would be in the deep suck, any one have good camo? You guy's were darn lucky, trucks with that high milage/and age, check everything!!!!!! (when was the last time you cleaned up the engine/compartment and tweaked/tapped underneath? No, I am not trying to be a smartass, I would just hate to see you young guy's get into a jam. hedge your bet.......:) mjmcdowell

skrillah

Adventurer
Day 6 4/17:

We woke up early the next morning. It was a frosty 28 degrees with a snow mix still coming down. It had snowed an inch or two the night before, mostly in the upper canyons.

920568_10102725052509789_1618425469_o_zps1877b57d.jpg

We began to break down camp and it became rather apparent that finishing the rest of the trail was unlikely. With Sean's busted head and rear suspension, and the underlying fact of it being rather cold, we weren't very motivated to continue on. We turned on the radio and they were reporting highs in the 40's with a 60% chance of rain, and freeze warnings for the evening with lows expected in the low 20's. We had enough food, and likely gas to continue on, but quite honestly, we just wanted to get out of there. So onwards we went...

Snapped a few photos...
MoabUtah534_zps24eb563f.jpg

MoabUtah522_zps6ba0915e.jpg

MoabUtah540_zps3fa8f06f.jpg

MoabUtah527_zpsd85e97e6.jpg

MoabUtah542_zpsc5d2d2a3.jpg

We had a met a ranger on the way out. He told us the switchbacks were wet and slippery and that he didn't recommend them. They were working on Potash but he said it was passable. We'd make the decision once we got there...

20 minutes later, we had arrived.
MoabUtah549_zps19b2e950.jpg

A Land Rover LR4 had just come down and said it was passable but to watch some sections. We were going up it, so more than likely we'd be fine. After some deliberation, we decided that given our groggy conditions Potash was the better choice. Not only that, we liked the idea of new scenery and exploration.

Onwards on Potash out of the Park.
MoabUtah553_zps2a55c584.jpg

MoabUtah569_zpsf4970ffb.jpg

MoabUtah565_zpsd59c6198.jpg

The first section of Potash was rough, lots of rock as we finally made it to the bottom and exited out into a wash region. A little rock rash here on Sean's '05 (ripped off his light hook up for his hitch) but all in all we made it with little incident.

MoabUtah561_zpsa8f72a63.jpg

Regrouping...
MoabUtah563_zps5b5ff653.jpg

We continued our way out. Beautiful scenery, even in crappy conditions.
MoabUtah574_zpsb4b508de.jpg

MoabUtah599_zpsa0061bfe.jpg

Cool, big teetering rock...
MoabUtah604_zps230f7218.jpg

MoabUtah582_zps48e7fcd7.jpg

Somewhere around here, Doug and Sean had rounded a bend and I came across a motorcycle rider who waived me over. I radioed the guys and told them I was stopping for a minute. The motorcycle guy began walking over explaining that he had lost his way and needed a map. Now, I'm from Indiana and even I knew where Potash led to and returned from, so I was baffled by this, but proceeded to tell him that he had about 5-6 miles until he hit the east side of the park. The guy continually approached the truck as we talked, and seemed very nervous and continually moving his hands in his pockets. Now perhaps I was just being dramatic, it was cold outside but something about him made me weary. As he got closer, I decided it was time to go. He wasn't in any real distress, and I gave him the info he needed, so I took off on him. As I was pulling away, he shouted..."What...!? I'm not going to shoot you or anything...!" Now, I'm no genius but saying something like that isn't going to make you any friends in the back country...

We continued onwards, and the sun began to break through a bit by this point.

MoabUtah602_zpse59ea83e.jpg

MoabUtah607_zps16af2b16.jpg

Kind of a cool work site, in the middle of no where...

MoabUtah609_zps5e972487.jpg

MoabUtah612_zps54d3a7a0.jpg

After a few more miles had passed, we hit the paved road. Aired up and enjoyed the last few miles to Moab.

MoabUtah635_zps0d7201fd.jpg

MoabUtah636_zps9f2b9de3.jpg

MoabUtah632_zpscadf580f.jpg

We hit Moab about 1 o'clock and were starving. Found a nice Italian eatery and chowed down. We started discussing our plans for the rest of the day. We all needed a nap, a rear shock and possibly a doctor to look at Sean's head. We didn't really want to do a hotel tonight but the cold weather was deal breaker on camping, and the weather for the rest of the week wasn't all that promising. In the end, after some deliberation, it was decided to go our separate ways (Sean back to CO, and us back to Indiana). While we had only been out there a few days, the weather had basically sucked the motivation out of us for this trip.

After some handshakes, and some quick last minute laughs about our previous few days, we all hit the highway. Doug and I went South to avoid the snow storms CO was getting (a named storm, Yogi) as Sean went North back to the Glenwood Springs area. Doug and I had expectations of camping on the way home but the weather never subsided. We hit Albuquerque, NM around 10 PM EST and decided on a hotel. It was 35 degrees. So much for warmer weather.

This ended up being one of two stops we'd make on the way home. Both were hotels. We'd get back to Indiana in time for a leisurely weekend.

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Sorry about the weather...Utah had spring in march...glad u got out to have a little fun though!

ywen

Explorer
Thanks for the report.. Yea shady about that dude.. One single road in the middlemof the desert and he claims to be lost!?

You guys should have drove south a bit more and hit up the needles area of canyonlands..

RangeBrover

Explorer
Great write up, really enjoyed the read. I'm all for good Karma but I would have left the guy on the bike in the dust, seems a little to odd.

skrillah

Adventurer
The weather was a bummer but we had a great time. It was definitely nice to get out and see this part of the country, and get some adventure adrenaline pumping. The coolest thing I'll take from this trip was the amazing silence that the canyons had. Aside from a little party noise from the neighboring campsite (and our own), you couldn't hear anything...no barking dogs, noisy streets, passing jets overhead, or even insects. It was completely silent, which is something I haven't ever experienced.

ReconZJ

Observer
I really enjoyed following along on your trip - very nice write-up!

...The coolest thing I'll take from this trip was the amazing silence that the canyons had. Aside from a little party noise from the neighboring campsite (and our own), you couldn't hear anything...no barking dogs, noisy streets, passing jets overhead, or even insects. It was completely silent, which is something I haven't ever experienced.

And this pretty well sums up my experiences with this area of Utah, along with the breathtaking views. I'll be heading there the first of June for an annual gathering of friends.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Nice story. Still building my truck up, but I'll be doing the same trip, IN to Moab, next summer (crosses fingers). I can see I'll need a better camera.

ywen

Explorer
Yeah man! My first experience of the desert was at Joshua tree np about a decade ago.. No wind, no animal... Felt like my ears rang the entire time..

I would recommend hitting up Death Valley.. When you stand in the valley at night, on a good night with no wind and no moon, it is simply sublime

skrillah

Adventurer
Someone asked on another thread about Sean, the dude with the busted head...

Turned out he should have had stitches, but by the time he got to the Dr the next day, it was too late. The Doc said it wasn't infected so aside from a bald spot, he's fine.I will mention, that's bald spot #2, he has kind of a history of falling down. Hence the first responder kit. Live and learn.

He might kill me for posting this but you can't deny the fact that he had a good time. :victory:

image_zps8936355b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles