Indecisive New Member

ale

Hey Everyone!

I am a long timer lurker and wanted to introduce myself to hopefully avail myself of the communities wisdom. This forum has been an awesome resource and the amount of people dedicated to sharing their experiences overlanding is really incredible and appreciated!

I'm currently living in the east coast and will be moving to Colorado at some point over the summer to go to school full time in Denver. My part time job over the past few years has been as a rock climbing instructor and I'm looking forward to this move for many reasons, including access to the mountains! However, I need (and partially want) a new vehicle and am taking this opportunity to upgrade from my 2007 jeep liberty. The problem is I cant make up my mind on what to get. My desires are thus:

1) Space - for sleeping, carrying all my gear, and a partner or two.
2) Fuel economy - because this will be my only car and a daily driver and ill be on a budget
3) Security - i don't want my expensive camping/climbing gear smash and grabbed.
4) 4x4 - since I'll be in the mountains during the winter and want to escape paved roads. Though I don't off road really.

So far, it looks like my best bet is a Toyota Tacoma 2d extended cab 4x4 with a shell over the bed. I do have reservations with this set up because I am not keen on sacrificing walk through capability by having separate cargo and cab compartments, I am 6'2 and barely fit in most truck beds when laying down, don't want to freeze if I spend nights in the truck bed during ski/alpine/ice season, and the lack of security of most camping shells with their windows also gives me pause since I'll probably be leaving my car unattended at minimum a full day in remote locations.

I know that no vehicle is perfect, but just wanted to ask others their opinion on this matter and see if anyone could provide me advice before I bite the bullet! Am getting my jeep cleaned up as we speak in order to prep for my move!

Thanks for any and all help!

-Ale

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
This question will inevitably get asked so why not in the first reply... What kind of budget are you looking at? I'm really not asking for a price range as to help you find a specific vehicle, but rather so that we could make better suggestions.

To answer your question assuming you can buy pretty much whatever..

Have you thought about a Tacoma double cab with the long bed? It would solve your sleeping in the bed issues (as far as your height is concerned) and is still a capable vehicle and you'd be suprised at the MPG the 4.0 can produce.
dec2011.jpg

Another suggestion would be the 100-series Land Cruiser. While it won't get as good of gas mileage, it isn't as bad as the earlier Cruisers and it solves your issue of not wanting separate compartments. It's plenty capable and very reliable.
uzj100_moab1.jpg

A few more suggestions:
-4th gen 4runner (pretty much same as the Tacoma but enclosed)
-5th gen 4runner (same as above though they seem slightly roomier)
-1st gen Tundra (definitely consider this, they are great trucks)
-3rd gen 4runner (stone cold reliable, but might be too small)

You could save your money and buy a 1st gen pickup (79-83) and be the coolest guy in Colorado. Pop a RTT on the back and enjoy! :) I'm kidding, but I'll throw this in here for fun and because it's a cool picture:
jump2.jpg

Hope I helped.

juicebox

Adventurer
If you really don't go offroad much you could just get an Outback or something.
MYOBL.jpg

This Toyota pickup has a 4cyl in it, they get pretty good gas mileage.
2-8-11%20014.JPG

My sister has a setup like this, but her truck is a base 4cyl tacoma. She somehow would take her 2 dogs, big downhill bike, XC bike, tons of camping and climbing equipment and a friend or two just about everywhere. She went to Alaska fairly recently.

IMGP1437.jpg

Then, this is my old truck, it worked great. At one time, I was considering building a platform with drawers that lock, but I rarely put stuff back there that was valuable or that I thought would get stolen.
IMG_6369_zpsd24caf5d.jpg

Last edited:

ale

Dwill,

Thanks for your reply!

In terms of budget, I am hoping to save as much $ as possible by buying used. That being said, I have some money saved up and am going to be using that + the funds from the sale of my current car to purchase a vehicle. I could potentially afford a newer model at max 20k, but that would prob limit any additions or mechanical work I need done.

I initially really wanted a cheap-o dirtbag van, but decided against it because it would be too impractical as a daily driver (especially if I were to get a 4wd conversion). The 4runner is another rig I considered briefly, but I discounted it cause I only had experience with the tiny interior of the 3rd gen. I guess I will have to check out a newer model! I still think a truck is the best (most realistic) option for me (despite my reservations), and will have to check out the 4 door long cause I didn't realize they could come with a 6 ft bed! Any idea how they handle? It looks like a boat! I'm checking for prices on those models as we speak.

Again, thanks for your advice! I do dig that last pic...

Ale

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Welcome to CO!

What kind of off-pavement driving do you have planned? For many of the forest-service roads, it helps to have a 2-speed transfer case but then again, I'm always amazed how well the AWD Subarus do on many of the backroads.

If you can live without 4-LO, going with AWD opens up options with quite a bit better fuel economy, and many crossovers are very well-suited to traversing the state. The Subarus are certainly versatile. I like the previous-generation RAV4 because they had a center differential lock button, enabling the traction of 4-high and the fuel economy and surefootedness of AWD.

If you do feel like you'd prefer a two-speed transfer case, a 3rd or 4th-generation 4runner may be a good match. They're lighter platforms than the Land Cruiser wagons, so they're more fuel efficient, but they still have plenty of space and capability. The 3rd-gen can be had with the 16v 2.7L for extra fuel economy, although most of them have the torquey 3.4.

There are lots of good possibilities. Try to better nail down exactly how it will be used and what your specific priorities are. Then do a bunch of test driving and see what grabs you.

Ah, your post went through before mine. So the 3rd-gen 4runner's too small? The 1st-generation Tundra is a nice product. They can be had with the 3.4L, but the Lexus-derived 4.7 delivers some mighty smooth power and fuel economy is not much different from the V6 Tacomas. I like the 1st-gen double-cab Tundras--lots of cab space, 6-foot bed and a roll-down back window.

2004-toyota-tundra-double-cab-photo-3626-s-429x262.jpg

Last edited:

ale

tanglefoot,

thanks for the tip on the Tundra - it seems like another contender up there with the tacoma. Maybe my perspective is skewed but the 3rd gen 4runner does seem tiny if two people are living out of it. I'm thinking I'll manage with the two compartments of a truck since I won't be doing much (if any) stealth camping aside from naps at rest stops. I would get an outback except for the fact that I will have to fit all my stuff in it to include bouldering pads/rope/trad gear etc :S

Also, thanks for the warm welcome to CO!

-Ale

p nut

butter
The only issue with the Tacoma (and Tundra) are the resale value on trucks are so much higher than the SUV counterparts. Especially for the Tacoma. Here is my take:

If you don't need a truck bed, an SUV will suit you better. The ride will be better (coil springs vs. leaf), more secure cargo area, shorter wheelbase, and cheaper acquisition cost. I would reconsider the 4Runner. Either the 3rd or 4th Gen will do nicely. Your only issue is the rear sleeping area. It can easily be set up for a person of your height. Plus you can set up drawers underneath for even more storage. Plenty of info on this, but here are a couple links:

http://www.scottiac.com/4runner/sleepdeck.htm

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/121668-toyota-4runner-good-sleep.html

You could also just get a tent to make it simple.

I wouldn't get a LC or Sequoia. They are gas hogs (I have a 100). A person on a student budget, the 4Runner would be much better at ~20MPG (vs 11-16MPG on the LC). You can be set up with a 3rd Gen for around $10k for one with 100-150k miles + baseline.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
The 1st gen Tundra DC that Tanglefoot pictured would be a great platform and it can be had within your budget with a little to spare for some tires, etc.

AKmoney

Observer
Although I'm very happy with my 4th gen 4Runner, I have a hard time recommending one to someone who wants to drive it daily and is interested in prioritizing fuel economy. I recently returned from a ~2,000 mile trip to Moab and back and I averaged about 17mpg. Around town it's more like 13-14mpg. A tough pill to swallow when gas is $4.30/gallon (here in SoCal, anyway). The 4.7 V8 is smooth, refined and reliable, but economical it is not. I don't think any vehicle you can find this engine in, whether it be a 1st-gen Tundra, a 100-series Land Cruiser or a 4th-gen 4Runner is going to win any awards from the Sierra Club.

My understanding is a 4th gen 4Runner with the 4.0 V6 is maybe 1, 1.5mpg better on average than the 4.7.

midwayliberator

My buddy did not like the size of my o6 tacoma short bed, so he just bought a o3 4 door long bed nissan frontier. It is fairly nice rig with a topper though it is not a toyota.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
If you like an SUV over a truck, and the 4 Runner is too small, consider its big brother, the 1st generation Sequoia. I have an '05 DC Tundra, and if I had more kids I would move into a Sequoia without any hesitation. I have considered it a lot because it is narrower and shorter than my Tundra thus better off-road but still offering great passenger comfort. When talking fuel economy, the 4.7 and the 4.0 are rated almost identically city and hwy. The long bed DC Tacoma and 1st gen DC Tundra are almost the same size. The 1st gen Tundras bed is listed as 6.5 ft., but it really isn't. All this said, I love my Truck. I have had it in some really tough places the last few months, and besides being just a little wide at times it has been amazing. I really enjoy it on the hwy as well.

Here are a couple videos of it off-road. Nothing really impressive, but gives you an idea of its possibilities.

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Attachments

• tundra rims 004.jpg
    tundra rims 004.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 34

p nut

butter
...My understanding is a 4th gen 4Runner with the 4.0 V6 is maybe 1, 1.5mpg better on average than the 4.7.

When talking fuel economy, the 4.7 and the 4.0 are rated almost identically city and hwy...

Not sure where you guys are getting this info from, but from my experience:

(All 100% stock)
4.7L: 11-17MPG
4.0L: 14-21MPG

On 100% highway trips, I was seeing 22MPG in the 4.0L (same with 3.4L found in 3rd Gen 4Runners). To me the difference of 4MPG (or 24%) is pretty significant. Especially for this guy on a student budget. I wouldn't recommend any V8'ed Toyota trucks.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
From everyone I know with a 1st gen Tundra, they all got around 16-19 mpg. I got 16.9 on average with 3.4L Tacoma granted I stayed in 4x4 all the time, but when I didn't and really watched how I drove my best was 19mpg. Why not buy the V8? I know he is slightly concerned with gas mileage, but lets be honest here.. He's looking for a good sized 4x4 SUV or truck, there is no such thing as great gas mileage. Heck I drive a single-cab short bed Toyota pickup with a fresh 22r and only get like 20. Don't have too high of expectations with gas mileage in a 4x4 truck. I think he meant that he can't afford to get 10mpg in an 80-series. Almost all the rigs mentioned will get 15-20 depending on driving style and conditions. He also sounds like it will be somewhat stock besides the extra load of some climbing/camping gear so take away huge tries and hundreds of extra pounds of armor and winches. There are sacrifices to every rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles