Increasing Tacoma's GVWR

phsycle

Adventurer
Low range for sure....but based on my calcs, Sienna has lower numerical gearing in "high", particularly when you account for smaller tires and its effective gearing.

I was browsing the Sienna lift company’s site. They also built an AWD(now 4WD) Astro with lo range!! Conversion seems very reasonable. Wow, that would be an awesome van!

4WD talk at around 11 minute mark.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
We’ve got one. Pure road trip machine. Trans is better than the Taco. If I ever take it over from the wife, I’m getting this and some 31’s. GC is decent at 6.7” from the factory but it’d open up a lot of places with nearly 10” of clearance.

My gen 1 Sequoia was near identical to the Sienna in interior size only it had 10inches ground clearance, 4x4 and the baby V8. Pretty much what you described wanting to do to the Sienna

phsycle

Adventurer
My gen 1 Sequoia was near identical to the Sienna in interior size only it had 10inches ground clearance, 4x4 and the baby V8. Pretty much what you described wanting to do to the Sienna

Yeah, I had a friend with one and a neighbor as well. The van just feels so much bigger inside and smaller outside. Very kid friendly (power sliding doors), gets better mpg but ofcourse not as robust.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I had a friend with one and a neighbor as well. The van just feels so much bigger inside and smaller outside. Very kid friendly (power sliding doors), gets better mpg but ofcourse not as robust.
Lol
Thats why I replaced the Sequoia with a 2019 Expedition lol. Its basically a insanely huge sport wagon with a transfer case, locking diff and 18-23mpg averages. Lol

shade

Ha, I always forget that most people drive automatics. I'm still in the mindset that exceeding the capability leads to slipping and ultimately burning up your clutch. I think the 1st-low gearing (40:1 crawl ratio) on my Tacoma is too high...
One of the reasons I sold my MT Subaru was that I was beating it to death on stuff that a Tacoma can take in stride due to lower gearing and a hardier suspension - or at least the possibility for a hardier suspension. I doubt the OEM shocks from Toyota were any more durable than those from Subaru.

nickw

Adventurer
Manual Tcase too dont they? Super cool rigs......another buddy has one and great.

N

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Manual Tcase too dont they? Super cool rigs......another buddy has one and great.

N
Mine was a late 06 basically 07 5 spd AT and juiced HP rating from Factory (premium fuel outside of low stress in town use) and push button 4x4. Still in the family my dad needed a new ride. He loves it. The power bump thing was odd Toyota upped the power but later they rolled it back probably because of the premium fuel need and yes the 4.7 would rattle and ping on Regular. Two neighbors had the same 07 power bump version and got the same rattle and ping on regular blend gas. But with the power bump and 5spd it was an angry soccer moms wet dream at green light tire burn offs lol

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Whats going on with the rear doors? They look like they're on beefy arms and sticking straight out
Probably some massaging of the body to clear the wide track and fender flares. Or could be to stand up the assault team tactical exits you'd drill your family to do.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I think the tracks for the slider were removed as part of the frame grafting. So they have those big sliding arms to allow the doors to "open". It could also be there was no way to make the sliding mechanism clear the wheels/flares.

billiebob

I personally do not by into the idea that the Tacoma, or any large-production model, has any off-road use considered in payload ratings or design.
Yes they do..... They add up 2 adults, 2 kids, some gym, swim and hockey gear and then engineer the payload to haul it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Whats going on with the rear doors? They look like they're on beefy arms and sticking straight out
Probably some massaging of the body to clear the wide track and fender flares. Or could be to stand up the assault team tactical exits you'd drill your family to do.
They did it so the kids could ride on the 'slider-seat'© as you drove along with the doors open. It's like a fun roller coaster ride for the trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online