Increasing Tacoma Payload Capacity?

I am strongly considering a Gen2 Tacoma as my next build platform. I like the size, power, and possibility of finding one with a lot less miles on it than my current T100. The problem is that I anticipate 2000 lbs + of payload and the Tacoma is rated at 1400 lbs

I know these trucks are very popular overland platforms and I've seen quite a few with slide in campers, so what (if anything) are you doing to increase the payload capacity of your gen2 tacoma?

Rear Axle swap or truss? Additional support for frame? Suspension?

JLee

Adventurer
I would buy a truck appropriately sized for the intended load.

If you're ever in a fatal accident and the investigation determines you were deliberately operating over the vehicle's GVWR, you may be in a world of trouble.

Adventurous

Explorer
Probably not the best idea to overload a Tacoma that much. Can it handle it? Sure. Will it do it well? Probably not. Even the Tundra isn't rated for 2000+ lbs of payload. While you may be able to get away with it, you'd be better off with a larger truck. You'll likely get better braking, handling, and efficiency out of the larger platform with that kind of load anyway.

BUT, assuming you are determined to go this route, I'd say you should consider a new rear axle [especially if it's the 8" carrier (Currie offers bolt in 9" and D60 rear ends for the Tacoma)], differential gear change, suspension all around with a custom leaf pack and more than likely air bags, a big brake kit, and some frame reinforcement at a minimum.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
The whole platform (frame, suspension, axles, overall chassis) is not designed for the payload you're aiming for. Some things, like the suspension, can be adjusted appropriately for heavier payloads. Other things, frame and axle ratings especially, are not worth fiddling with.

If you want a 2k lbs payload, with some leeway, get a high-payload F-150 or a 3/4 ton and call it a day. A Tundra could work if you adjust your payload slightly.

Last edited:
I kinda assumed this is the answer I would be getting, but I know they have become popular platforms for slide-in-campers as "overlanding" has grown in popularity in the USA so I thought maybe there was known issues that could be addressed to make the adjustment.

I've considered other vehicles(and am still open to other options) but I don't want/need a larger truck. I just need the larger payload.

I've considered the Dodge 2500 for example, but I don't want something that would be considered a "heavy Vehicle" and potentially cause me problems in accessing national parks in Africa or extra expenses on toll roads or ferries. I also don't like that it is 4.5" wider and has a turnings circle 4 feet larger than the tacoma.

rruff

Explorer
I kinda assumed this is the answer I would be getting, but I know they have become popular platforms for slide-in-campers as "overlanding" has grown in popularity in the USA so I thought maybe there was known issues that could be addressed to make the adjustment.

In other countries all the little trucks have 2000+lb payload. Would be nice to know exactly what the weak link is. Probably the soft rear springs and street tires. And I bet the Tacoma you want will have considerably less than 1400lb payload; that's what my Tundra is. If you upgrade the suspension and tires you'll be able to haul weight as well as all those other people with an overloaded Tacoma. You'll have an incentive to not bring so much stuff as well.

tacollie

Glamper
Upgrade the suspension, tires, and maybe box the rear section of the frame. You could upgraded to 4Runner brakes if you want stronger brakes. Drive like your vehicle is heavy because it is. Less speed means less impact which means less abuse.

Herkjerk

So I recently considered this as well. I have a pretty heavy tacoma and weighed mine out at 6,640 lbs when fully loaded. When empty in its standard daily config it's at 5690. Guess my truck is grossly over weighted. I see other people's trucks that seem way more loaded than mine but I find not a lot of people actually weigh there's.

Sent with tin cans and paper footballs!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Wow, a Tacoma weighing 5,690 lbs in a daily configuration and 6,640 lbs fully kitted? I'm someone who wishes the Taco had higher GVWR but I still haven't actually eclipsed my 5,350 yet even with an ARB bullbar, winch, sliders, Pelfrey front skid, dual batteries, high top fiberglass topper, fridge. I'll likely end up a little over when I'm done but nothing like that.

My biggest issue at the moment is the framework I'm tinkering with to get a WilderNest mounted cleanly and what I feel is safely to the odd shaped and plastic inner bed. I know the right thing to do is a tray but money doesn't exactly grow on trees, so it's 50 or whatever pounds of flat steel, thankyouverymuchtoyota.

I can't imagine carrying 2,200 lbs of payload in a compact or midsize truck, even in the mighty Hilux. In a Toyota that to me means a 70 series. The most stripped down, highest capacity Hilux tops at 3,000 kg GVWR, which is 6,613 lbs. And that is with a payload of 1,225 kg (2,700 lbs) based on a verb weight of 1,775 kg in a regular cab Workmate with a tray back. That seems sketchy and a more in theory situation.

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer

I've considered other vehicles(and am still open to other options) but I don't want/need a larger truck. I just need the larger payload.

I've considered the Dodge 2500 for example, but I don't want something that would be considered a "heavy Vehicle" and potentially cause me problems in accessing national parks in Africa or extra expenses on toll roads or ferries. I also don't like that it is 4.5" wider and has a turnings circle 4 feet larger than the tacoma.

Unfortunately, that comes with a larger truck.

Have you considered an off-road trailer?

I have a pretty heavy tacoma and weighed mine out at 6,640 lbs when fully loaded
WOW! That is heavy, but its not far off from where I expect to end up and mine will be a permanent configuration so it will always be weighed down too. What have you done to the truck to acomidate the extra weight?

Have you considered an off-road trailer?
I'm not a fan of towing. I've done trips with guys that had a built jeep and a built FJ cruiser that should have been much more capable than me in my stock T100, but they were towing "off-road" trailers and I was doing just as well if not better through a variety of conditions. Most notably the long grated dirt roads and rough highways in Mexico. At speed(45mph), with pot hole or bump in the road those trailers were skipping and tracking all over the place.

dman93

Adventurer
This will be subjective, not data-based, but I switched from a 4wd T100 to a 3rd gen Tacoma TRD OffRoad. After 2 years and 45K miles I love it ... but it does feel much lighter duty in every way than the T100. I put many miles on the T100 with a FlipPac and really never noticed it was there. Hauled 3/4 ton gravel and was well off the rear bump stops. The Tacoma suspension notices if I have passengers and a few bikes in the bed. Sure, you can go to stiffer springs, better bump stops etc but I think if you will always be hauling a camper stick with the T or get a domestic or a 1st gen Tundra. Regardless of rating, there’s more margin. By the way, before selling the T100 had replaced most front end parts and new shocks all around, and it felt like new and not that much rougher riding or worse handling than the Taco. Honestly, if I had invested in new seats, perhaps Tundra front brakes, and a good detailing, the T100 could still be serving me happily. And it had a much roomier cab for people (though less comfortable) or gear, even XtraCab T100 vs Double Cab Tacoma. I do LOVE having back doors to access the rear of the Taco cab.

Herkjerk

Wow, a Tacoma weighing 5,690 lbs in a daily configuration and 6,640 lbs fully kitted? I'm someone who wishes the Taco had higher GVWR but I still haven't actually eclipsed my 5,350 yet even with an ARB bullbar, winch, sliders, Pelfrey front skid, dual batteries, high top fiberglass topper, fridge. I'll likely end up a little over when I'm done but nothing like that.

My biggest issue at the moment is the framework I'm tinkering with to get a WilderNest mounted cleanly and what I feel is safely to the odd shaped and plastic inner bed. I know the right thing to do is a tray but money doesn't exactly grow on trees, so it's 50 or whatever pounds of flat steel, thankyouverymuchtoyota.

I can't imagine carrying 2,200 lbs of payload in a compact or midsize truck, even in the mighty Hilux. In a Toyota that to me means a 70 series. The most stripped down, highest capacity Hilux tops at 3,000 kg GVWR, which is 6,613 lbs. And that is with a payload of 1,225 kg (2,700 lbs) based on a verb weight of 1,775 kg in a regular cab Workmate with a tray back. That seems sketchy and a more in theory situation.
So my truck has an arb bull bar, winch with synthetic line, full pelfrey skids, rear swing out bumper with Jerry can holder, bed rack, rocker guards, steel wheels, 33' tires with a full size spare, rubber bed mat, and tools.
There's really not much room to save weight if you legitimately armor your truck. All that easily adds up to the payload capacity.

Sent with tin cans and paper footballs!

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm not a fan of towing. I've done trips with guys that had a built jeep and a built FJ cruiser that should have been much more capable than me in my stock T100, but they were towing "off-road" trailers and I was doing just as well if not better through a variety of conditions. Most notably the long grated dirt roads and rough highways in Mexico. At speed(45mph), with pot hole or bump in the road those trailers were skipping and tracking all over the place.

Were they leaf sprung or trailing arm?

Leafed trailers will skip all over the road trailing arm won't.

Not the best video...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior