In the market for a full size diesel truck

scrubber3

Not really here
I may be in the market for a full size diesel pick-up very soon. I really like the Duramax/ allison combination, but I know that dodge offers a power wagon that had a solid front axle that can be had with front and rear lockers. Cummings engines are great as well. Just not sure about their transmissions since I have seen the problems they have had with them. I don't really think a Ford will be able to accommodate my needs so I more than likely will not be considering one unless I can get an amazing deal.

If you guys could get any diesel pick-up you wanted what would it be and why?

Thanks

Spencinator

Adventurer
All of them have their issues but theres a reason Cummins has been around for almost 100 years. Right now I have a 98.5 24v Auto. Ill be swapping in a manual next year. You can build the automatic but I like manuals and having the choice of what gear I want. Biggest issues with the Dodges are everything that Dodge put on the truck. Interiors fall apart, dashs crack, and so on. As for as the drivetrain, stock autos are weak and the lift pump in the fuel system fails. Ive had issues with my truck but thats because the PO didnt keep up on it. I still love it and wouldnt have any other make. I like the 24v so I would go for a ext. cab long bed 24v manual with a aftermarket lift pump. Also Ive never seen duramax or a powerstroke swapped into a Dodge.

jaygoss

As far as the Power Wagons go, they aren't available with a diesel; only gas version. If they would offer a Power Wagon with the Cummins in it they'd have quite a truck there.

morrisster

Adventurer
I have a 04 silverado D/A. done well for the first 150k, we'll see how it goes. It was a compromise as I felt that a heavy duty truck should have a solid axle and the chevy/gmc platform doesn't. Everything else about how this truck performs has been wonderful though. I also realized that I don't 'wheel' a full size truck and for what I do the chevy platform is completely adequate

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you guys could get any diesel pick-up you wanted what would it be and why?

Thanks

2011 Ford Superduty. My favorite trucks are the 2005-7 regular cab XL Ford Superduties with gas engines.
Since you're after a diesel, the next closest things are the 2011's and the older 7.3L Fords. I don't trust the post 7.3 Ford diesels, but thier latest engine looks very good so far. I like lighter, smaller gas trucks for off road use. Weight is weight, no way around it.

The Superduties seem to be really available used in good condition and priced well. Not uncommon to see 7.3's in excellent shape for under $13,000. 2005-2007 gassers for $15k.

The newest Dodges are really starting to catch up. I love the slick new bodies. They're really doing thier homework on the new HD models. I also like the really old 12v Dodges. Hopefully Dodge will be able to fix thier "Range Rover reliability" reputation in my area. (Ironicly RR is owned by Ford, I think, LOL) Even though the new engines aren't B's any more, they're still darn good and easy to work on. Just intalled a Preturbo EGT sensor on one. Piece of cake. I'd avoid the Powerwagon. Too fancy for me. I'd rather build a base model with exactly the partts I want and Ebay the old(new) parts.

I haven't liked Chevy since they switched to IFS. Our 2010 HD at work is really nice, but it has no flex in the front, none. Some 4wheelers don't need flex though, depends on how/where you drive I guess. It's interior is really flimsy and cheap. If the seat foam gets wet it dissolves into nothing, especially if you're sitting on it when it's wet. We've had warranty problems with the transmissions as well.

You did say any?For $45,000 I could restore any old 1970-1986 solid axle Chevy, Dodge or Ford. Put in Custom axles and the diesel powertrain of my choice. So bottom line......if I had the cash for a new truck, I'd buy an ancient one and build something really exotic.

Last edited:

Repo503

Adventurer
Land Rover is no longer owned by Ford, Land Rover and Jaguar were sold sold to Tata in 2008.

I actually like the IFS in the silverado HDs. The ride quality is noticeably better than the Ford or Dodge (sorry, Ram)

Interior quality isnt as good as the other two, but I much prefer its exterior styling to the Fords braces face or the overtly butch Ram.

I bought 2 2011 2500 duramax trucks earlier this year and they have been trouble tree so far, and on bigger jobs my crews practically live out of them.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I really like the "Raptor"-like look the new Chevy HD's have. Wide with flared looking fenders. The 2011 GMC2500's have a much worse ride than the live axle trucks. I think they went after quicker handleing, the Chevys really feel lighter and turn better than the others by far. But the one I drove was much more stiff over train tracks.

Can't argue against the 6.0, 6.2 LSX engines being some of the best gas engines ever either.

The new Fords are a bit ugly. When did they start that? 2008?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I bought a 2011 Duramax/Allison, it has been great. That being said I have owned 4 dodge diesels--model years 1995,1999,2007,2008. They werent bad, but definitely overated. Everyone brags about the cummins, but the truck will fall apart, the autos suck, heck even the newer manuals suck. The dual mass flywheel is a joke. I just feel the D/A is a much more refined package.

scrubber3

Not really here
Yeah, I will probably go with a GMC or Chevy diesel. Since a power wagon doesn't come with a diesel, I won't be getting one of those for sure. Really don't know about getting a ford. When I was a tech, ford kept me in business.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Ford's new motor hasn't been out long enough for me to say I would want one of those and it is the only one I would consider from them. I liked my LB7/5 speed Ally until it started eating injectors like candy, if it hadn't done that I would still have it (injectors = $$$). I currently like my 07 cummins, lots of power,easier to work on, I like driving a manual and to me it feels like a truck when driving(solid front axle).

Doing all my own work on the vehicle I would go with the 5.9 Dodge cummins manual. Less moving parts, almost no emissions (only cat and high pressure common rail in the final years), the front of the motor doesn't need removed to change the water pump, cab doesn't need removed to work on the top end (Ford actually brags that the 11's aren't that way, why was it ever?), injectors are easier to get to (Ford and LB7 for sure), cp3 is easier to get to, fuel filter is easier to change, 05 and on 5.9 now has EFI live, most of the known bugs are fixable (killer dowel pin, lift pumps...) the major one not is the poor blocks in the eary 00's, but they are avoidable.

Not doing all my own work I would be in a LMM/Allison. Last motor before all this urea injection, gobs of power, 6 speed Ally. This one mostly for the Ally.

As for the 11's on, the Dodge 6.7 seems to have less emission problems now than with the early blue tec motors. Still not running urea, but once they start it is right under the cab outside the frame rail behind the front tire. Not a good spot for off the beaten path and with a system that will limp the truck when ran empty. Last of the diesels to come with a manual, but the new HO will only have an automatic.

Chevy/Gmc same thing with their urea tank just on the oppisite side. Only automatic as well.

Ford is the only one whose urea tank is tucked up under the vehicle no more susceptible than the fuel tank. Also only comes in automatic.

All the newer automatics seem to be built well from stock if you don't start adding power.

If you start pumping up the power and have a need for speed I believe the Dodge 48re is getting very bullet proof. It has even found its way behind the duramax at the drag strip, but they have been being built for years replacing everything that breaks a piece at a time with a stronger better billet piece.

Last edited:

lstzephyr

wanderer
In my opinion the best new diesel truck isn't available in the USA. All of the urea injection, auto only, computer controlled, massive power, wannabe medium duty truck stuff defeats the entire reason I want a diesel truck.

In modern-ish trucks the duramax gmc drives much more like a normal vehicle than any dodge or ford I have been in. The dodge and ford trucks feel like a truck with rough ride and steering whereas the GMC/Chevy's always felt easier to drive and more friendly for the street.

Why do you want a diesel? Reliability, mileage, power or something else? That to me is the biggest question as your wants/needs and preferences will point towards the best choice. Personally I would pick my current dodge(no surprise, since I did pick it) or if someone set it on fire I would do a motor swap in something older like a single cab short bed truck with a steel dash and toss in a 4 cylinder Isuzu. That is because my desire was to have the best reliability and longevity I could come up. I didn't care about ride, handling, speed, power, or anything else nearly as much.

I get the feeling the OP would be happier with a Duramax Gmc, 3rd gen cummins, or 7.3 powerstroke ford but that is simply a guess with my limited information on what you desire.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Not really here
I have a very reliable off-road vehicle that I use for camping, fishing, trails, etc. I need a nice diesel powered full size truck with plenty of power to spare due to the fact that it will be used to tow, haul, pull, and basically do a whole heap of very heavy work. While doing this, I may actually use it to drive the family around during the spring whilst we gather various vegetation to plant in our garden. If all goes well and I appropriate the proper funds, I will buy something new and deck it out with all the bells and whistles.

BillTex

Adventurer
Our 2010 HD at work is really nice, ... We've had warranty problems with the transmissions as well.

An Allison tranny? Curious...as I have not heard of an Alli w/issue yet...

My .02; the only diesel I would stay away from is the infamous Fyrd 6.0...my Buddy is livin' that dream...(nightmare?)
Agree Duramax Alli is most refined, but Cummins is great also...and the most efficient (if that's a concern) with the Duramax a close second for efficiency.
The new Ford? Looks good...let's see what time tells...the rest of the truck is real nice...

Bill

bftank

Explorer
first - it's cummins not cummings. sorry that just drives me batty

second - i would stick with what i am hoping mine to be in a few years. obs ford crewcab 12valve p-pump cummins, eaton fuller fso6406a 6 speed, twin stick np205, dana 80 rear with disc brakes and arb, shackle reversal upfront, 3.54 gears, king pin dana 60 front with an arb.

but i like to tinker, and the newer truck with their accompanying payments don't appeal to me.

edited the grammar correction for grammar correction purposes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online