In search of new adventure vehicle for family of 4 and a couple of pups.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thanks for the information. The 'G' codes I see on the tag are GU6, G1E, and G80. From my research I've got red paint, 3.42 gears, and the G80 mechanical locker. Am I right? The Chevy towing guide from 2016 shows that a Suburban with 3.42 gears and is 4x4 can tow 8000 pounds. However, it lists that vehicle with the 'Max Trailering Package' which I don't think I have. I have added trailer brake controller since there wasn't one. What am I missing?

Looks like a 2016 Suburban 4x4 with 3:42's is rated for 8,000 lbs.

But, don't forget to check your payload rating as well. Add up the weight of the people travelling, the cargo and add your tongue weight to that if towing.

Make sure you are under your payload.

phsycle

Adventurer
Did the Suburbans offer a factory trailer brake in 2016? My '09 didn't have one but I did have the tow package that included the coolers.

Looks like it did.
“There is also a Max Trailering package including a trailer brake controller, lower gearing in the rear axle and air leveling suspension for maximum trailer control.”

Looks like it did.
“There is also a Max Trailering package including a trailer brake controller, lower gearing in the rear axle and air leveling suspension for maximum trailer control.”

Yes, the 2015-2020 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon offered the Max Tow package, adding 3.42 gears, a G80, brake controller among other things. Unfortunately, this was not offered with the Z71 package at any time during the last generation, it was one or the other. Z71 trucks are technically only rated for about 6,000 pounds, but in actuality can probably tow the full 8,000 ish pounds (depending on config) because they have the 3.42 gears and the G80. Someone correct me if I’m mistaken.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yes, the 2015-2020 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon offered the Max Tow package, adding 3.42 gears, a G80, brake controller among other things. Unfortunately, this was not offered with the Z71 package at any time during the last generation, it was one or the other. Z71 trucks are technically only rated for about 6,000 pounds, but in actuality can probably tow the full 8,000 ish pounds (depending on config) because they have the 3.42 gears and the G80. Someone correct me if I’m mistaken.
Guessing the Z71 can tow less due to a softer / flexier suspension. Usually that is the case with off road oriented vehicles (Raptor / Power Wagon for example) or packages.

G80 is just the locking diff option. It would have no bearing on a tow or payload rating.

billiebob

this....

If you choose the Max Trailering package It also provides a built-in trailer brake controller on LT models.

but even without the max trailering option a 4500# trailer should not be a problem.

Last edited:

rcintx

Adventurer
this....

If you choose the Max Trailering package It also provides a built-in trailer brake controller on LT models.

but even without the max trailering option a 4500# trailer should not be a problem.

It did not have the factory brake controller but I have added an aftermarket one. I'm going to give it a whirl on a short trip and I will report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles