In need of a tow hitch? READ THIS!

scrubber3

Not really here
About a year ago I was at a local farm store and found a tractor tow hitch that looked like it would fit the Montero (gen 2). I got the bolt pattern off of it and compared it to the bolt pattern on the Monty and it looked like it would fit. I bought it and bolted it right in!! I've pulled numerous times with it and it works great. It's great and has a pintle hook that clamps down on it to hold a tow strap if needed. It's perfect for off road use and for towing! I had no idea who made it and knew the farm store was a locally owned hole in the wall so I've never posted it on here before.

Well two days ago I was at the TRACTOR SUPPLY and found it for 99 dollars! Its a Reese farm and ranch 8-ton ball and pintle hook. (google it if needed) These hook right up to Gen 2 Monteros and work great!! Hope this helps anyone in need of one.

Attachments

• monty hitch.jpg
    monty hitch.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 26

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup.. They work well and similar pintle hitches that work are available from a variety of sources. In my case I wanted a low profile 2" receiver hitch that I could keep on while wheeling. I had 4crawler.com make one for me. Cost was very reasonable at ~$75.00 and it fit even tighter than the pintle hitch (is smaller overall).

scrubber3

Not really here
I actually got mine for around 70 dollars. Paid no shipping and the clamp that comes down on the ball works great for keeping snatch straps hooked on it. I take mine off road all the time and have never had a problem with the hitch getting in the way. It stays really close in and out of the way for me. So for the 99 dollars others could pay with no shipping and have that day, Id say its a great buy. I am sure that the custom hitch your guy makes is great to for what you do though. :coffeedrink:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I actually got mine for around 70 dollars. Paid no shipping and the clamp that comes down on the ball works great for keeping snatch straps hooked on it. I take mine off road all the time and have never had a problem with the hitch getting in the way. It stays really close in and out of the way for me. So for the 99 dollars others could pay with no shipping and have that day, Id say its a great buy. I am sure that the custom hitch your guy makes is great to for what you do though. :coffeedrink:
Yeah, an old friend had one like yours and for some of the rock crawling trails we do either design would get hung up all the time so it would simply be removed for those runs.

skinzluch

Adventurer
I have one of these on my Monty. I found it on Northern Tool's site. The departure angle is much better than for the Valley hitch I had. Plus it was nice to be able to use those four bolt holes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior