in need of a new camp axe or hatchet

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Do yourself a favor, get an old axe head on ebay for 20 buck and go to the hardware store and get a handle with wedges and make it a DIY project.
Under 40 bucks and you will learn something.
Watch Wranglerstar vids on youtube
Thanks for the advice, I chose a vintage Collins true tempered head and a Home Depot hickory handle. Some serious elbow grease and it looks great! I wanted to keep some of the patina of the axe so it will retain some of its history.

verdesardog

Explorer
doesn't look like you kept any of the patina on the head....it's all shiny. And why didn't you cut the protruding part of the handle off, how could you get the wedge properly seated with that much wood above the head?

QuadsBC

Adventurer
It's not that shiny in person, still plenty of pits, Knicks and rust along the edge. I have to finish sharpening. The handle is just resting in the axe head. I still need to trim it, add the clear and set the wedge. Probably another 2 afternoons of work. Thanks for ****ting on my first project.

scbrooks87

Observer
Just thinking here, but I didn't get the impression he was trying to ******** on your project. The part about it being shiny sounded like an observation based on how the pics look vs what your post said was your intent. The other part about seating it on the handle and trimming the top, to me at least, sounded like someone who doesn't want to see another forum member in a possibly dangerous situation. An improperly seated head at full swing could seriously hurt someone. Doesn't sound like that'll be the case for your project though!

Anyway, just my thought there, but try not to let stuff online get to ya. I always try to assume the best of other posters, only because text is hard to relay vocal inflections which would completely change the way the comments sounded. Anyway, I cant wait to see how the axe comes out, it's looking pretty cool!

QuadsBC

Adventurer
If that is the case, I appologize. After sanding rust scale for 7 hours to find the true quality of the steel then reading that I took some offence.
Once I set the wedge I intend to have 1/8" of wood protruding above the head. I don't have any small metal wedges so there isn't a point in setting the wooden wedge. My friend suggested I use boiled linseed oil on the handle so I'll give that a try.

Azazruk

That is cool and what a great time time pick for this project as winter sets in, I imagine we will not see you posting for a few days once it is all done as i think we would all be like little kids with a new toy chopping at anything that don't look right. Have fun and please post a pic of the finished product once you can coach your breath from swinging it around

Lucky j

Explorer
Nice job! Look sharp and it is not a joke!

I tought you wanted a hatchet. That looks a little bigger and since it is bigger, for camp usualy means that you need two hand to really make good use of it.

About the extra wood at the head, one dangerous issue for the handle is if only the head get inside the piece you are trying to split and the extra long piece it the wood. Something could breake.

Even if it is too late, perso, I would not spend to much on a hatchet. Just enough. I found a Fiskar hatchet on a trail that probably fell from a snowmobile in winter. It could have been a very expensive model.

So with this event, I got to try a fiskar and was able to compare it to the Garant (canadien made) that I pirchased couple of month before.

Both have good construction, but the handle of the garant *** a hook that prevent the grip from splipping even with wet gloves of a tired hand. The fiskar as one two, but not a positive.
Also, the Fiskar is a little lighter than the garant. Since you almost swing those with only one hand, the extra weight of the garant generate a better punch when you it the log you want to split. Also, the edge of the garant make it a better spliter than the fiskar but still not to bad of a cutter to chop wood.

Steel goes to the tip of the hook and rubber plastic handle is form around it. So it is not going anywhere.

They have the same lenght. But none of them are very old.

But when traveling on an adventure, I also carry a real axe the is an incredible wood chopping tool. And sometime faster than a chain saw on threes up to eight in, cause if you include to time to prep the chain saw out of the truck, out of the casse or bag, start up and throw back in the truck after it cool down.

The axe is quick out and quick in and much smaller and lighter than a chain saw. And even with a chain saw, you still need an axe.

l_22220644.jpg

FISKARS_122440_Splitting_Axe_X11_Pack-canvas-640.jpg

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'd like to note I do own a fiskars splitting axe. Thing came sharp as hell and actually did a decent amount of damage by making a razor thin cut through my fingernail one day when new.

I cant get over the hollow handle. I feel like the thing would shatter if hit wrong, and I dont like to bring the big splitting axe out for field work on camping or wheeling trips, etc. I'd prefer something solid forged or wood rather than the hollow composite.

FYI,

they will and do shatter in the cold.

Below certain temps, it doesnt seem to matter how its used. Handles dont like it.

verdesardog

Explorer
It's not that shiny in person, still plenty of pits, Knicks and rust along the edge. I have to finish sharpening. The handle is just resting in the axe head. I still need to trim it, add the clear and set the wedge. Probably another 2 afternoons of work. Thanks for ****ting on my first project.

Yeah I meant no offense but it sounded like your project was completed when in actuality it was still in progress.....chill out man!

Hnoroian

Observer
Estwing or fiskars, I've used and abused both and hold up well. My first preference for vehicle is estwing but backpacking fiskars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles