Improving factory seats

twodollars

So this is the second used but newer truck ive had. First was a 2008 ram I bought at 30k miles. Current is a 2015 f250 I got at also about 30k miles. The driver seat in both was disappointing in both. Now I'm a bigger guy, about 280lb. But I could tell the passenger seat in both trucks was much more comfortable. On both trucks I replaced the driver seat cushion, and what a huge difference. Bought factory parts, nothing fancy, but the difference was huge. Something to think about when your shopping for $1000 aftermarket seats, or your rear just hurts after a few hours of seat time.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have also replaced my driver side seat cushion with a a new one. It was enough of a difference I had to lower my seat height.
I think it was from the seat guys or something like that.

Gnarwhal

So this is the second used but newer truck ive had. First was a 2008 ram I bought at 30k miles. Current is a 2015 f250 I got at also about 30k miles. The driver seat in both was disappointing in both. Now I'm a bigger guy, about 280lb. But I could tell the passenger seat in both trucks was much more comfortable. On both trucks I replaced the driver seat cushion, and what a huge difference. Bought factory parts, nothing fancy, but the difference was huge. Something to think about when your shopping for $1000 aftermarket seats, or your rear just hurts after a few hours of seat time.

How was it getting the old out and the new in? How much did the new cushions set you back?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
They’re expensive $200 or more I think.
It wasn’t too hard of a job. Took an hour or maybe more.

twodollars

Each of my trucks were less than a hundred each. Nothing too hard, just took my time so I didn't break anything. Maybe a hour each tops.

Steve_382

I am wondering if anyone has installed Scheel Man seats in a vehicle with electric adjustable base seats, especially in a E-350/250/150 van. I talked to SM USA and they weren't able to help me unless I wanted to remove the electric base and install a manual base. Really want to keep the electric base. Thanks for any suggestions.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
IF you are CHEAP go to your local Pull A Part and git the PASSENGER SIDE seat bottom from a Dodge of the same vintage as your truck and seat material color. 4 ten mm bolts to remove. Direct bolt in to the driver's side. Yes the side material may be a little different on one side however you will probably pay $20.00 or LESS so who cares!

Since you got rid of the Dodge I would suspect you might find the same passenger seat swap will work with your 2015 Ford truck. It's worth a try!

Typically the passenger side seat cover and more importantly the seat foam will be perfect especially on the left side which is the worn out side on the driver's seat.

If you really want real seat comfort order a new seat foam from The Seat Shop. Their foam products are far superior to factory foam and they make great seat covers for trucks.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
I am wondering if anyone has installed Scheel Man seats in a vehicle with electric adjustable base seats, especially in a E-350/250/150 van. I talked to SM USA and they weren't able to help me unless I wanted to remove the electric base and install a manual base. Really want to keep the electric base. Thanks for any suggestions.
Have you talked to Planted Technology? Maybe they know.

Zuber

When my 2001 Dodge seat started to sag, I put a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet scrap between the seat cushion and the supporting wires underneath. The wires were thin and had sunk into the foam. The made the seat like new again. Nothing to disassemble, just slid the carpet in.

CKent323

After shopping around and sitting in many aftermarket seats (Recaro, Sparco, Corbeau, and others) I selected Scheel-Mann Vario seats to replace the worn out OEM Captain's seats in our 1993 Dodge W250 Extended cab.

After our Alaska trip this summer during which we took the ferry from Bellingham, WA to Ketchikan then Juneau then Whittier followed by driving to McCarthy and Valdez and Anchorage before driving home through Canada to Jasper, Banff and down into Montana and over to Iowa, I have to say we are quite pleased with the seats. We have traveled close to 4,000 miles since August 2.

The Scheel-Mann Vario seats are firm but comfortable on and off highway. They supported us comfortably and securely on the 120 mile round trip, potholed, McCarthy road. However, like the Recaro they are expensive. My seat is an Vario R XXL with right arm rest and Wendie's seat is a Vario F with left arm rest. Both seats have heaters.

I bought adapter brackets from Wedge Brackets in Utah which allowed the seats to bolt right in with no modifications (except to connect the seat heaters to the truck electrical system).

Toby the US distributor located in Portland, OR was a pleasure to deal with.

CKent323

We are still on the road and departing Iowa for home tomorrow so I don't have the exact details with me but I recall roughly $4600 for both seats with armrests, heaters, taxes and shipping. I think the adapter brackets were $100 each.

CKent323

Durwin, Give Toby Pond at Scheel-Mann a call and talk to him about the seats. He may be able to arrange for you, as he did for me, a place where you can sit in one of the seats before purchase. That sealed the deal for us over the Recaro seats.

Please tell him I said hello and that we are still on the road after 76 days. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles