Importing Vehicles.

ucs308

Observer
Nubie question. Where do I start researching the rules and regulations of importing a diesel vehicle from Europe and titling and insuring it in the USA ( I live in California). I am not trying to avoid taxes, but am looking to buy and build a camper and be able to insure and title it for travel around N.America. I have heard there is a 25 year rule, but what if the vehicle is only 5 years old? What is the reason for the 5 year rule.

dlh62c

Explorer
You'll need to import the vehicle though a broker. They know all the steps and rules to make it happen.

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The 25 year rule is for safety and emissions. Very few European trucks have completed the tests required for approval in the USA.

I would recommend working with someone who knows the rules for California - Someone like Scott at Expedition-Imports in the SF bay area as he brings in various European military and fire vehicles on a regular basis and has a exporting warehouse in Belgium to facilitate shipments.

www.expedition-imports.com

I am not associated with Scott in any way other than having been a long time customer.

haven

Expedition Leader
A company like Expedition Imports can also advise about the chances that California Air Resources Board rules will permit you to license an older diesel vehicle in the state. The 25 year rule is federal, and California has stricter standards for imports.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I imported a 1990 Mercedes 917 last year. I did a full write up on my website if you want to take a gander. I found the whole process extremely easy. I paid a broker to do all my paperwork ($400) and scheduled the export from Germany through the seller. I exported, shipped, and imported my firetruck for about $5,000. Im about to import another truck too. PM if you have any questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz