Importing Slide-in Truck Camper from Europe

brennanvhoek

I have fallen in love with the idea of a small camper like the Northern Lite 6'10" or the Bigfoot 6'11". Unfortunately, these are no longer being made and have been very difficult to find used. I recently became aware of all of the great small slide-in (demountable) campers that are being made in Europe like the Tischer Trail. Has anyone had any luck importing something like this to the US?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If you can order it in 110 volt the rest shouldn't be too hard, people import campers and trailers from other countries all the time.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you can order it in 110 volt the rest shouldn't be too hard, people import campers and trailers from other countries all the time.
Trailers are imported under DOT and NHTSA regulations, campers can be imported and they are not subject to the same regulation, just regular import taxes.

sg1

Adventurer
The only electrical component you would have to exchange is the AC-DC Battery Charger with plug and the plug for the connector to the trailer plug. Propane would be a bit trickier. You would need a different regulator and you would have to check whether US 10 or 20 lbs tanks fit into the compartment.

::Squish::

Observer
If you are planning to take the camper into Canada I rhino they require the camper shows it passes their certification for safety.

And it's a good idea to have all the bits required of RVs stateside.
Like fire suppression, exit windows, propane connections, lighting.

It seems like it is the shipping that will price it out of reach.

RoadForce

Observer
The only electrical component you would have to exchange is the AC-DC Battery Charger with plug and the plug for the connector to the trailer plug. Propane would be a bit trickier. You would need a different regulator and you would have to check whether US 10 or 20 lbs tanks fit into the compartment.

What about the land power wiring (if it has it)? For the same power, 110V draws twice the Amperes as opposed to 230V.

sg1

Adventurer
That should be fine. The ac-dc charger will probably charge with 20 to 40 Amp max on the 12 v side. This is between 1.8 and 3.6 Amps on the 110 v side. Not really a challenge for any wiring.

sg1

Adventurer
That should be fine. The ac-dc charger will probably charge with 20 to 40 Amp max on the 12 v side. This is between 1.8 and 3.6 Amps on the 110 v side. Not really a challenge for any wiring.
If you put in an air con or electrical heating or cooking I would check whether the ac wiring is thick enough. You may also need an adapter for the ac outside plug or replace it. Same for interior ac plugs.

torgeirvikane

Did you have any success importing a truck camper from Europe? I would like to do the same, since there is a specific camper i would like to use in US. Does anyone know how much the shipping fee would be? And how much percentage I must pay in taxes?

Kofi Levermann

I am in Europe, if anyone has questions about Campers available here, just hit me.

I usually import vehicles and parts from Canada and USA to Europe, they ship for like 700-1400$. Camper should be cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles