Importing Nissan Patrols

CHeath

I was wondering if any company is importing Nissan Patrols to the US, legally of course. I ran across the site Land Cruisers Direct for Toyota Land Cruisers.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
None that I know of. The Patrol following in the states isn't as strong as Rovers or land cruisers.
I'm sure it can be done. The key thing is age. Over 25 years old and it is no big deal. Newer than then that is the problem.
Now the issue of finding a 25 year old off-road vehicle from another country that is still in good enough shape to be worthy of importing.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Volcan4x4 has done older ones.

I have brought in two myself.
.Following-enthusiast for the Patrol in the USA consists of maybe 1,000 people. Hardly any market for it. I pursued this importation venture as far back as 2004. I have owned dozens of these trucks and restored a handful as well. Bought my first one in 1992.

I am in Latin America right now and have started a Land Cruiser importation business but if you want a Patrol I could certainly find you a great one in LHD. I have a vast knowledge in these trucks.

Cheers

Hawairish

Observer
RMP&O, can you give us a general idea of what the process entails, from the buyer's perspective? Beyond purchase and shipping costs, what other costs (financial or time) exist? I last read up on this sort of stuff well over a decade ago when thoughts of a Skyline crossed my mind, but sounded like the costs to make it adhere to EPA/DOT regulations far exceeded the cost of the vehicle. Does that still hold true? Thanks in advance.

haven

Expedition Leader
AustoUsa web site has examples of the full price of shipping and importing. For example, for an $8000 vehicle, the full delivery cost was almost $15K:
Secure Handover:U$216
Transport to terminal:U$624
Preparation/Quarantine:U$176
Packing/Customs/Shipping:U$2,680
Unpacking:U$752
Broker:U$430
Duty/Government Fees:U$427
Charlotte, North Carolina Fees: U$822
Marine Insurance:U$294

Hawairish

Observer
Thanks Haven, hadn't checked out that link yet.

So, that reads like the costs to get it stateside. Once here, what sort of other roadblocks occur? Surely it varies state by state, and fortunately AZ seems pretty relaxed on registration and titling of all things here (sandrails and quads can even be made street legal), but what about meeting other, perhaps federal, standards?

Hawairish

Observer
And to be more specific, I'm more curious about vehicles <25 years old, maybe late 90's...what're the other constraints, or is it simply not possible/practical?

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Less than 25 years old. Getting them here is still about the same. The feds get involved. That is where you are not going to get to drive it.

More then 25 years old the feds no longer care and it is a state then with getting it registered. Several years back there were a lot of Penzgauers being imported into AZ and they went through pretty easy. It took the right person at the MVD that knew how to deal with this stuff. It isn't a daily thing for most of the MVD workers. All they know is title transfers and some out of state transfers (which still confuse them most of the time). I once walked in with an MSO and they were arguing with each other on if I need an inspection or not. Don't expect any consistency in the AZ MVD offices. A co-worker once got yelled at by a manager telling him "I don't care what the rules are, we are doing it my way!" Hint, don't use the Casa Grande office. In Wikenberg there was someone getting a military Hummer registered, I didn't hang around long enough to see how that ended but it sounded like things were going good as I left.

Hawairish

Observer
Hahaha, funny you mention that...I was just at the MVD (City of Surprise) for the first time in years to get my old Frontier titled and registered and the old lady at the counter flat out said she didn't know what she was doing (she at some point also called her some a retard for being afraid of bugs...classy). Gotta love our Service Arizona site, though.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
FYI when I had a Patrol shipped from Australia to Long Beach and then trucked up to Eastern Idaho in 2012 it cost around $5k all up. Inland shipping on both sides of the pond as well.

In 2002 when I imported a Patrol from New Zealnd it was about $2-2.5k all up but obviously things had changed a lot in ten years. Almost all due to Homeland Security controlling the ports now.

Cheers

Patrollife

Explorer
I'll be attempting this in a few years. Any issues with modified Patrols? Engine is all original but obviously I have a bunch of goodies on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
No issues, you will be good to go.

Cheers

I'll be attempting this in a few years. Any issues with modified Patrols? Engine is all original but obviously I have a bunch of goodies on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles