Importing iOverlander GPX to Gaia

SnoRnR

Has anyone managed to import iOverlander GPX data into Gaia maps?

I am looking to import the data for Canada but the file has over 2000 points on it which are more than 1000 Gaia Limit.

1Louder

Explorer

I am looking to import the data for Canada but the file has over 2000 points on it which are more than 1000 Gaia Limit.

If you own a mac there is an app called Adze. You could load the track in that app and either split it into smaller sections or reduce the number of points in the track. GPS Visualizer also has an advanced setting to reduce the number of points.

SnoRnR

If you own a mac there is an app called Adze. You could load the track in that app and either split it into smaller sections or reduce the number of points in the track. GPS Visualizer also has an advanced setting to reduce the number of points.

That’s awesome thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WanderingBison

I have reached out to the Gaia and iOverlander team to ask them to facilitate the creation of a layer in Gaia with the iOverlander data.

Gaia hasn’t moved, likely because their isn’t enough interest and iOverlander we’re going to discuss it internally.

Maybe if others express interest in this we would see some movement.

Reach out to both and let them know you’re interested in an iOverlander layer in Gaia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

roving1

I would imagine it's a lost cause and Garmin probably has exclusive rights for that for some period of time with the Overlander.

WanderingBison

I would imagine it's a lost cause and Garmin probably has exclusive rights for that for some period of time with the Overlander.

That was not raised when I chatted with iOverlander - the challenge seemed more of a maintenue issue.

The Garmin deal does provide some revenue and I’d imagine if there was enough interest, licensing the data to Gaia could also be a revenue source - but that depends on Gaia seeing value in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Why not using both Apps?

The iOverlander Dataset isnt the only useful Database for Overlanding...

On my a bit outdatet list (2020) of best Overlanding and travelling Apps I dont just have 2-3 Apps for waypoint handling.

At least as long as they dont use live Layering the data would have been outdated quicky, so an export import is useless in my eyes.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor

I work with gpx files quite a bit when making maps in my GIS software. But I use them a bit different than probably most here, so I'll ask a question to your question:

Is this 1000 point limit just for "points" or for track files as well? The reason I ask is that I am able to convert points to tracks within GIS and then export as such. It generally works, although sometimes it does not. It seems to be dependent on how the gpx data has been collected.

Anyway, if you want, email me at info@axlesandantennas and I'll give your data a go and see if I can help you out, no charge.

* GIS = Geographic Information System/Software

1Louder

Explorer
I see this thread has been revived. I am not super well versed in iOverlander but I always thought the app only showed waypoints and not tracks. Where do you get tracks?

Thanks just trying to help. As Axles said if you can share a GPX track maybe some of us can take a look and provide better assistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles