Importing Car Parts into USA from Canada

Ty_Deschaine

Hey guys,

I have a lead on an axle, transmission, and transfer case for my E350 4x4 conversion but the kicker is they are in Canada. Has anyone here purchased parts in Canada and brought them back to the US? Im assuming they conform to USA DOT standards, but how do you prove this if asked?

Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tyler

45Kevin

Adventurer
I live in Canada and have bought many parts from the US and sold parts to guys in the US.
There is absolutely no problem getting them across the border.
Coincidentally, I am driving down to Sweet Grass MT tomorrow to pick up a bunch of parts.

The biggest hassle with parts like axles, trannys and TCs is shipping.
I have hand delivered several big, heavy parts like that on various trips to CA, UT etc. because shipping is the killer.

If the seller is willing to put the parts on pallets and you are prepared to pay big to ship the stuff, just go for it.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
I don't have any expertise in this but I doubt it's an issue at all. Think of it like aftermarket parts. The only thing the US cares about is if the partsa are DOT approved.

You cannot bring an entire vehicle into the US that isn't vetted by US regulations, but parts are a different matter.

Ty_Deschaine

That was the answer I was looking for. I live close to the border and plan to drive over and pick them up. Just didn't want to hand over a bunch of cash only to get told at the border I can't bring them in. Thanks for info!

Jsweezy

Explorer
This is funny, I was going to buy an axle from a yard in BC and tbe guy said he couldnt sell to the US... Maybe he just didnt want to deal with me.

Lucky j

Explorer
This is funny, I was going to buy an axle from a yard in BC and tbe guy said he couldnt sell to the US... Maybe he just didnt want to deal with me.

Not with you, but with the paper works. A private sale is fairly easy. A company, different story.

Last edited:

another_mike

Adventurer
I don't have any expertise in this but I doubt it's an issue at all. Think of it like aftermarket parts. The only thing the US cares about is if the partsa are DOT approved.

You cannot bring an entire vehicle into the US that isn't vetted by US regulations, but parts are a different matter.

Ive bought many parts for vehicles from other countries.. China, Taiwan, Japan, Canada, England.. Hell, I even bought my KTM muffler from a guy in Slovenia and while the factory muffler has an incorporated catalytic converter, the aftermarket one I bought didnt... being "DOT approved" isnt an issue

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Ive bought many parts for vehicles from other countries.. China, Taiwan, Japan, Canada, England.. Hell, I even bought my KTM muffler from a guy in Slovenia and while the factory muffler has an incorporated catalytic converter, the aftermarket one I bought didnt... being "DOT approved" isnt an issue

Well, yes, DOT-approved only applies if you live in states like California who look for reasons to pull people over to issue tickets, or if your state is hell-bent on inspections.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
That was the answer I was looking for. I live close to the border and plan to drive over and pick them up. Just didn't want to hand over a bunch of cash only to get told at the border I can't bring them in. Thanks for info!

It's no different than buying a TV. So long as the product you are bringing aross the border isn't illegal or transport-restricted (food, for example) in the US you won't have any issue bringing it in.

If they give you any grief for the purchase tell them you only paid a few hundred dollars for salvage parts.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
DOT is the replacement name for ICC. Interstate Commerce Commission. Both are the same thing. They are there for regulation of commercial transport across state lines. IF you are not commercial, it doesn't matter. There regulations are good guidelines and other areas adopt DOT guidelines. But salvage yard used axles for personal use are so far away from anything that has to do with DOT that you are comparing apples with sledgehammers.

Take high pressure gas cylinders (welding or SCUBA tanks). They have a DOT number on them, they get hydro tested every 5 years. If you own one without ever getting it filled for 10 or 20 years there is nothing wrong with that. Until you have a business fill it. At that point it goes from a personal use to commercial use. The truck transporting the cylinder has to comply with DOT regulations and it need to be current. They can drop off a cylinder at your place that has one month until the hydro expires and all is good, until it comes time to transport again. You can transport it without issue (unless you are commercial). There is nothing to stop an individual from taking a piece of tubing, capping the end shut and pressurizing it. But there is if you transport that same thing commercially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior