Importing an LMTV into Canada

DarkBladeRunner

Hi Guys,

I am beginning to get a headache trying to wrap my mind around what needs to be done to import an LMTV (M1078 or M1083) into Canada.

I'm not set on an LMTV from the US so if I find one already here or find another truck I can fit 4 people into the cabin that is 4x4, I'd take one of those instead.

For the time being I'd like to know if anyone here has gone through the import process for an LMTV, if you used a broker, associated brokerage costs and required vehicle modifications once here. It seems for now as though it's possible to import a 15+ year old LMTV, but getting the export permit requires a company, and therefore, it seems, a broker is needed but all the local ones have never imported a military truck (and I don't know if it needs to be a US broker).

Let me know!

Ive sent a message off to a buddy of mine in Toronto to see if he can help, he imports cars almost weekly, and im sure he's done a military truck or two, he recently did a car that was seized in the US as illegal and he was able to get it into canada and plated.

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
You can probably do it but LMTVs are an EUC controlled item. Meaning that anyone purchasing them as surplus through GovPlanet or back with it was GovLiquidation had to submit an EUC application that said they were a US citizen and that the item was not purchased for export. If you deal with an Export Broker they may have information about legally getting around that, for example Eastern Surplus buys trucks and exports them, but the average Joe that just owns one probably can't help you out.

DarkBladeRunner

Only if you can do the makeover yourself, for less. Have you looked at Canadian surplus trucks?
I've been trying but unable to find canadian surplus trucks that I will be able to fit 4 seats in the cab (lmtv is interesting because I can fit two f150 jump seats between the driver and passenger seats). Government of Canada surplus site seems devoid of them right now.

DarkBladeRunner

Quick update: It looks like it'll be easier to puchase from a dealer or from govplanet than from a private party as they facilitate the import process and getting the export permit. The hard part seems to be getting the export permit whereas the canadian customs is a breeze. Found a broker who imported an LMTV into BC yesterday actually and they only charge about 130$can to handle all of the paperwork.

FMTVtrucks has some nice refurbished ones which you can have high speed gears put in for about 40k but with the exchange rate to canadian that's starting to be too much for my wife to handle for just the truck.

So that leaves govplanet as an option for easy import.

I have a local heavy truck mechanic shop that charges 105$ an hour who are willing to fabricate the subframe and do some work on the truck for me at what seems like a pretty good hourly rate. And I'm more than willing to put 10k into the truck if it means new high speed gears and a mechanical overhaul (I guess I'd order the overhaul/rebuild kit from one of the lmtv resellers).

The question is, is purchasing a surplus truck from govplanet and budgeting 10k in work realistic/a good idea?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
... and budgeting 10k in work realistic/a good idea?

I fear that you will end up spending many times more than that. Simply in the nature of these beasts. (See threads on this site.) Great deal if you can do it yourself in your drive, bad deal if you are paying full freight for labor.

But this is just an opinion, YMMV.

N.B. Shoot me a line when you start looking at integrating 24v starter batteries with a camper bank and 12v appliances. I have scars and from those scars, some useful ideas. :)

DarkBladeRunner

I fear that you will end up spending many times more than that. Simply in the nature of these beasts. (See threads on this site.) Great deal if you can do it yourself in your drive, bad deal if you are paying full freight for labor.

But this is just an opinion, YMMV.

N.B. Shoot me a line when you start looking at integrating 24v starter batteries with a camper bank and 12v appliances. I have scars and from those scars, some useful ideas. :)

I'm starting to think I might be better off just buying an already converted/partially converted truck. I'm quite comfortable doing many things but not as fast/good as a pro but would rather avoid dealing with too many mechanical items. The camper issues I don't mind as much.

BTW 10k + truck was only to get the truck "good enough". not including the camper or subframe. I'd rather get out there and travel and have to fix/upgrade as I need to rather than spend years waiting for that next little item/part I need before I can finally leave.

And uh... these things have 24v starter batteries? Could be useful if I choose to set up a 24v dc system to run the AC with...

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
And I'm more than willing to put 10k into the truck if it means new high speed gears and a mechanical overhaul (I guess I'd order the overhaul/rebuild kit from one of the lmtv resellers).

The question is, is purchasing a surplus truck from govplanet and budgeting 10k in work realistic/a good idea?

Not sure where you can get the gears from. Everyone that I've heard about will only do them in their trucks (ACELA, FMTVtrucks, etc)

And while I have a vested interest in people buying from private owners as my truck is for sale, buying from GovPlanet is a major crapshoot. Their "Ironclad Guarantee" is worth about as much as the cost of free advice. You can spend $10k plus on a truck from them that hasn't been driven in 5 years and hope everything is ok or buy from a private seller that has actually been driving their vehicle. Case in point is a fellow over on Steel Soldiers that just bought one and got less than 100 miles out the gate and started spewing diesel all over everything. Now how much is a tow going to run you?

Also I'd think importing something that already has a title would be easier than something with a SF97 which is all you'll get from GP.

The nice thing about LMTVs is they have a 12/24v setup. Two batteries to run the 24v side and 2 to run the 12v side. It's very easy to simply tap into the 12v to run anything you need and still get charged off the dual voltage alternator.

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Many of our customers went the LMTV route. All in the USA. One thing I always hear is the amount of money it takes to make them reliable and truely enjoyable. I'm afraid but CAD10.000 wont get you far. Most people need about 40-50.000 till they are ready to mount a camperbody. In other words, buying one from Acela that's sorted and has warranty is a VERY good deal.

But as you are in Canada, why don't you source a used 15 year old Mercedes Truck from Germany. Most of them are WAY nicer to drive than the LMTV's. Parts are easy to get at any Mercedes dealership. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles