Importing an LMTV into Canada

DarkBladeRunner

Many of our customers went the LMTV route. All in the USA. One thing I always hear is the amount of money it takes to make them reliable and truely enjoyable. I'm afraid but CAD10.000 wont get you far. Most people need about 40-50.000 till they are ready to mount a camperbody. In other words, buying one from Acela that's sorted and has warranty is a VERY good deal.

But as you are in Canada, why don't you source a used 15 year old Mercedes Truck from Germany. Most of them are WAY nicer to drive than the LMTV's. Parts are easy to get at any Mercedes dealership. Just a thought.
Victorian, that's a great idea. I'm at a loss as to where to find them though. I'm just using Kijiji and my somewhat decent google-**** at the moment. I've found a few unimogs that are somewhat decently priced and in fair condition but none of them have a wheelbase long enough for a big enough camper. Autotrader.ca seems to only have sprinters.

Do you recommend search tools or sites to visit to find those kinds of trucks in Canada? Or... did you mean import it from Germany?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Yep, Import directly from Germany.
Reason I like getting them from there:
1. very strict safety inspections every year on these trucks (meaning nothing majorly wrong with them if they just passed)
2. it's illigal in Germany for "backyard" mechanics to work on those. (meaning a proper mechanic did the servicing on those)
3. they are cheap! Good trucks can be bought for around CAD 20.000 Shipping and importing is another CAD10.000

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...=TO75&usage=USED&wheelFormula=WHEEL_DRIVE_4x4

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
. Most people need about 40-50.000 till they are ready to mount a camperbody. In other words, buying one from Acela that's sorted and has warranty is a VERY good deal.

I think the ACELAs start at around $140k. The $40k he spoke about was a straight FMTV that has just been gone through by FMTVtrucks. ACELA trucks are stripped to the ground and completely rebuilt including sandblasting and painting the cab, all new interior, new (comfortable) steering wheels, new seats, etc. They are truly like getting a new vehicle.

DarkBladeRunner

Thanks for all of the information guys! I've given up on the LMTV.

Still considering a mercedes, an m939a2 and a Leyland DAF T244 (actually my cheapest option, looks like I can buy one and import it for approx 20 000$ CAD).

Doing lots of research and having serious conversations with the wife about must-haves and would-likes.

Deshet

Adventurer
I have an LMTV that is titled as a 1986. This may make it easier to move into Canada.
It is actually a 1996 M-1078 with 94 original miles. I bought it from the government as a 1986, I did not do anything on my end to change the year. I would make you a great deal on the LMTV. I have 2 and only have a need for 1.

I have a 1992 Honda Acty Attack in Brandon Manitoba that I am trying to get to Virginia. If anyone knows how to do this or wants to help me out please let me know. I have some decent shipping quotes but it most be crated. I am looking for someone to crate it.

Thanks

DarkBladeRunner

Many of our customers went the LMTV route. All in the USA. One thing I always hear is the amount of money it takes to make them reliable and truely enjoyable. I'm afraid but CAD10.000 wont get you far. Most people need about 40-50.000 till they are ready to mount a camperbody. In other words, buying one from Acela that's sorted and has warranty is a VERY good deal.

But as you are in Canada, why don't you source a used 15 year old Mercedes Truck from Germany. Most of them are WAY nicer to drive than the LMTV's. Parts are easy to get at any Mercedes dealership. Just a thought.
I'm investigating that option right now, as well as the DAF t244.

It seems that there is no truly easy option in North America but it would seem that importing a European Vehicle would be a bit easier and less costly than importing an american vehicle. The good news is that the wife has bumped the budget up to 60-75k if the vehicle is right... so... there's that. Bad news its that I think it's going to be the bare minimum!

I am looking at suchen.mobile.de as well as marktplaats.nl

Anyone have any other european sites to recommend?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I am looking at suchen.mobile.de as well as marktplaats.nl
Anyone have any other european sites to recommend?

Allrad-LKW-Gemeinschaft
Foro Overland
Autoline (a "US" site, but it lists trucks in Europe)
Expedition Truck Broker (a "US" site, but it lists trucks in Europe)
eBay DE
Germany Gov. Auction
Das Offroad Forum
Mascus
Truck1
Brindlee Mountain (a "US" site, but it lists trucks in Europe)
TrucksNL
Machinio
Feuerwehrfahrzeuge Lohr (dealer my truck came from)

Now if you want to go super heavy iron, how about a 6x6 Mercedes 2635, with an OM442A V8 Twin Turbo Diesel Engine (354 Horsepower), 16 speed, triple lockers, 500 gallons fuel, 4 spares, etc. Two cabins, one for camping, one for Rally Support. A very nice seller. Their direct email is ' uwfloreo(AT)gmail.com ' (Flo Gonzalez), Spain, Website

Last edited:

2002Hummer

One other thing you should take into consideration. In Ontario and maybe other provinces as well Since the LMTV has air brakes you will need an air Brake Endorsement on your drivers license. Also depending on the max GVWR you may also need your Class D drivers license.

DarkBladeRunner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94