Importing an Australian made off-road trailer

onthemove

Hi all
We are thinking about shipping our Track Trailer Tvan to the USA or Canada and travelling around in it. Then possibly selling it before continuing on to other adventures. Does anybody have any experience with importing foreign trailers? Would it even be saleable ie would it be able to be registered in the US or Canada if someone purchased it? Quite surprised no one is importing Australian made trailers except for Patriot. Particularly second hand ones as our brands like Track Trailer and Ultimate are pretty unique and well proven. Maybe importing is just not possible or worth the trouble and cost?

Attachments

• EAF3154A-27F9-4D56-B3FA-6C167F0C1661.png
    EAF3154A-27F9-4D56-B3FA-6C167F0C1661.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
  • 0C69BA14-44EB-4FA2-9842-5727C9B935EC.jpeg
    0C69BA14-44EB-4FA2-9842-5727C9B935EC.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 88

luthj

Engineer In Residence
If you are temporarily importing the trailer, under the Temporary Import Permit (TIP), it will be attached to your Visa/passport, and valid for one year in the USA. Canada is similar I believe. You cannot sell the vehicle, and you must export or destroy before the TIP expires.

To sell the vehicle you need to perform a permanent import. Which would require you to certify compliance with DOT standards applicable to the trailer, assuming you want it road legal. Though some states don't even require titles or registration for light trailers (such as Oklahoma). I have not reviewed the DOT standards, but you would likely need to demonstrate the tires, (brakes if required) and lighting meet the minimum requirements.

Some reading for the USA on permanent imports here.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/415/~/permanently-importing-a-trailer-into-the-u.s.

Essentially only registered importers (RI) or those working with them can file for import IF the trailer is lacking a USA safety cert sticker. Not sure what it takes to get one. If you do have the sticker, or can get one from the MFG, you can import yourself, and pay duty.

brp

Observer
Good info. I do wonder what safety standards they are referring to? In MN, for example, you can register a homemade trailer, that undergoes no testing.

onthemove

Thanks for the reply and info luthj. Our ADR’s are strict in Australia probably even more so than USA DOT. I would think our trailers would pass but will have to do more research. It would also depend whether there are buyers in the USA or Canada for that sort of product. Unfortunately they are crazy (overpriced) expensive here in Oz to begin with so won’t be a cheap exercise
J

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Ship over as parts, assemble and register as home made in a lenient state.
It's probably doable actually. You would need to find an importer who would mark the shipment as loose parts. Or you would need to remove the axle or other parts to make it so.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Although its been at least 2-years since I e-mailed Track about importing one of their TVAN trailers (one of my favorite trailers...) I was told they had no plans to import to the USA. Too bad, as it seems like a very well thought out and mfg'd trailer!

onthemove

Although its been at least 2-years since I e-mailed Track about importing one of their TVAN trailers (one of my favorite trailers...) I was told they had no plans to import to the USA. Too bad, as it seems like a very well thought out and mfg'd trailer!
Not sure why they have never shipped to the USA. They are bulletproof and really well built. Best suspension on the market. I’m sure the rest of the world would love them too!

onthemove

Just buy a patriot camper. They have distribution in Oklahoma.
Overrated IMO. Nicely built but a totally different beast. I don’t like any camper that has canvas flapping around your head when you’re trying to sleep. Plus the floor needs to be off the ground. We often setup on uneven ground

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles