Importing a trailer into the U.S.

slvyj

Observer
Two points to make here.

1) Canadian vehicle standards are identical to US standards and the VIN label the manufacture makes can state that the vehicle meets the standards for both countries.

2) Don’t get confused between Federal and State requirements. Many people have registered vehicles with their State that do not meet Federal standards, but that does not make them legal. It still leaves the owner open to liability, and it still leaves the owner open to having their coverage cancelled. Bringing anything into the US is regulated by the Federal government and it’s not over as far as they are concerned just because you managed to register the vehicle.

I will have to dig it up, but I found something saying if approved for use in Canada, its go to go for import into the States.

slvyj

Observer
This is what I've found so far but it doesn't answer the question, what you needs to be done to the trailer to make it U.S. legal.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/415/kw/Import Camping trailer

CBP is following the rules set by NHTSA.
https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Digging deep into NHTSA, I find they are interested for trailers in the following items:
Rear Impact Guards For Trailers
Lamps, reflective devices and associated equipment
Brake hoses

The explanation for Rear Impact Guards is very technical and beyond my knowledge.

I have reached out to a Registered Importer to get an idea of the cost and what is involved in converting a trailer.

Yes, if I buy a trailer in Europe, I will register with the U.S. military but for a trailer, its required to meet European regs, which are even more strict then the U.S.. I talked with a Dutch importer of Conqueror trailers. He said they get the trailers from South Africa as U.S. spec, the first thing they do is convert to European spec. They are not allowed to sell them unless it meets European specs. And yes, I am talking with them about how easy if would be to convert back, but Conqueror is not my first choice.

What you are reading about trailers is probably about commercial cargo trailers.

TUV is stricter than U.S. standards but some states take the U.S. standards even further. I worked in Germany with Automotive Engineers and one of the guys was selling an older sports cars. He had to bring the car up to factory specs which TUV requires before selling. Mentioned to me he had to replace front springs because they had sagged and the ride height was not factory spec.

john61ct

Adventurer
Powered vehicles vs consumer trailers, chalk and cheese.

DOT and EPA have complex import requirements for the former, states won't register without passing their inspection.

Camper trailers are hardly regulated at all in many states, hundreds thousands of home-mades are registered and insured every year.

Yes full collision / comprehensive "agreed value" insurance will take some legwork to find a willing agent to go to bat, he'll need to send in photos, supporting docs wrt the tougher EU safety standards will help.

But just getting legal to use in the US, basic liability coverage, piece of cake NP.

Romer

Adventurer
Some of the South African dealers sell their rigs already in the US. Take Conquest. having bought an Australian camper and brought it in (Company had an Import license) I would check to see if the company you want has an Import license. If they do it's easy. They build a US Spec and prepare it like they would ship it to the US with a US title etc. If they don't have an import license, validate they can build a US spec and have someone back home check with the county where you would register it.

One day you will want to sell it and if its a nice trailer, it would be easier to have it titled as sold by the manufacturer.

With my Australian Camper, I picked it up and took it to the county in Colorado with the paperwork. They did a VIN check and registered it like I bought it here charging me taxes like I bought it here. It did go through customs when it got to Long Beach California, that is were the Import license made it easy to get through. If you are deciding between several companies and one has an Import Lic, then that could be a deciding factor

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
I actually have a lot of experience with this.

It's not hard but it is time consuming and tedious.

Skyfree's list is pretty much what you need as a private party bringing it in unless you are friends with a NHTSA licenced manufacturer or can pay one to bring it in on their paperwork.

slvyj

Observer
Thanks for all the reply's , .I need to find someone with an import lic, or break down when I ship it and reassemble as a homebuilt. Either way is not going to be easy.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
Thanks for all the reply's , .I need to find someone with an import lic, or break down when I ship it and reassemble as a homebuilt. Either way is not going to be easy.

A lot of DMV offices will not accept a trailer that they can tell has been mass produced as a "homebuilt" unit

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Um, no skin in this game, but. If you are an American serviceman, why can't you have it built to U.S. standards, get it registered and licensed in your home state, use it in Europe just like you can an American vehicle or motorcycle, then "reimport" it back to the states when you come home?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94