Importing 25+ year old Unimog expedition truck/camper

danields61

Anybody had any experience with importing this from Australia ?
Any company you can advice to do this ?

Thx,

Daniel

MogsAndDogs

I haven’t done it but would recommend talking to George Bull at Unimog center.com. Or, Scott at Expedition Imports. Both very knowledgeable.

Just so you know, you will not be able to register it in California.

Joe917

Explorer
Why from Australia? It will be left hand drive and more expensive to ship than from Europe.

Reactions: plh

I believe that if it’s actually already an RV (permanent bed, cookstove, sink etc) one can register it in California. And if one converts it to whatever constitutes on RV in California after bringing it to the USA, I believe it becomes registerable in California. Not 100% sure about the latter; but when CA did the DPF mandate for >~14000 lb GVW, I researched it and found they specifically excepted RVs. The reasons aren’t hard to figure out.

California Code of Regulations, Title 13, Division 3, Chapter 1, Article 4.5, section 2025(c)(10) and (12)

Section 2025(c) are the list of “EXEMPTIONS” to the regulation and lines (10) and (12) read as follows:

(10) Motor homes for non-commercial Private use;
(12) ” Trucks with a GVWR of 19,500 lbs or less with a pick-up bed used exclusively for personal, non-commercial, or non-governmental use; and”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior