Imported Japanese vans, RVs, trucks

• Thread starter Deleted member 225824
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 225824

Any thoughts on these vehicles? Hiace, townace, etc. They're Toyotas or Mitsubishi's for the most part.
They're super fun to drive, right sided manuals, come in 4x4 diesel a lot if the time.
Thinking about it being my starter but was looking for some educated peoples opinion
Thanks
Not a bot :)

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hey there “Not a Bot”:

Think about what state you will be registered in if you are looking at diesel import trucks. Cali is restricting lots of medium duty diesels from (2007?) And earlier. Just had to scrap a few trucks at work that wouldn’t be worth the $20+k for engine or exhaust upgrades.

other than that, sometimes grey market trucks are hard to get parts for. I don’t know about those specifically, but proceed with caution.

Hallmark_Ute

We have a JDM Isuzu 4x4. We love it. It’s very practical and fuel efficient. However it does take more time and effort registering them depending on the state you love in. We live in Washington state and the process took about a week. Also finding parts can be difficult/ time consuming and if you don’t want to wrench on it yourself shop bills can add up quick depending on the condition of the rig you get.

rruff

Explorer
Thinking about it being my starter but was looking for some educated peoples opinion

If you are looking for the highest reliability and serviceability, I'd pass.

I'm reasonably handy at fixing things and like the simplicity of older vehicles. I looked into older imports and even military trucks and concluded that I'd rather have something that just runs or can be serviced anywhere if there is a problem. Remember that you are going to be living in it, and getting stuck and waiting for parts when it breaks down is no fun.

D

Deleted member 225824

If you are looking for the highest reliability and serviceability, I'd pass.

I'm reasonably handy at fixing things and like the simplicity of older vehicles. I looked into older imports and even military trucks and concluded that I'd rather have something that just runs or can be serviced anywhere if there is a problem. Remember that you are going to be living in it, and getting stuck and waiting for parts when it breaks down is no fun.
Thank you for your advice :)

D

Deleted member 225824

Hey there “Not a Bot”:

Think about what state you will be registered in if you are looking at diesel import trucks. Cali is restricting lots of medium duty diesels from (2007?) And earlier. Just had to scrap a few trucks at work that wouldn’t be worth the $20+k for engine or exhaust upgrades.

other than that, sometimes grey market trucks are hard to get parts for. I don’t know about those specifically, but proceed with caution.
Thanks! Supposedly from the sellers, they register them out of California. I wont be living here anyway. Montana, South Dakota, I think Vermont... never lived "nowhere " having no permanent address. And yeah, the AC systems ona lot of the import seem down, $%#, they are like 25yr+, but depending on the type, finding the fluid (cant remember the name) is super hard. And I'm guessing expensive.

D

Deleted member 225824

We have a JDM Isuzu 4x4. We love it. It’s very practical and fuel efficient. However it does take more time and effort registering them depending on the state you love in. We live in Washington state and the process took about a week. Also finding parts can be difficult/ time consuming and if you don’t want to wrench on it yourself shop bills can add up quick depending on the condition of the rig you get.
Yeah, there's 2 routes. One is more money and too long a wait for now, the other are kinda like I'm not sure about their condition. They're cheap and having expectations is unrealistic most likely despite assurances.
Too bad, they're super fun, light and 4x4 diesel which I like. If I had some backup, it might be worth the risk.

D

Deleted member 225824

Yeah, there's 2 routes. One is more money and too long a wait for now, the other are kinda like I'm not sure about their condition. They're cheap and having expectations is unrealistic most likely despite assurances.
Too bad, they're super fun, light and 4x4 diesel which I like. If I had some backup, it might be worth the risk.
By the way really like the isuzu rodeo, good find :)

mobydick 11

As a past owner . They are fun and you get a lot of waves and attention . Most of these vehicles were never designed for north American high speed roads .They really struggle keeping up ,add some wind and a hill and you are screwed . Parts can take weeks to get if available, and cost much more then an American brand .Plan on changing out most if not all systems in it . in Japan for instance they do not use the same voltage or plug ends as us . . I was told when I bought mine the best comparison in driving experience is that of a old V W air cooled van ,and this is true . So yes they are fun as long as you are not in a hurry ,plan your route on 50 MPH roads and you will have lots of fun . O and check with your insurance broker as some companies will not insure them .And make sure whoever you purchase it from supplies you with the safety check/vehicle inspection certificate!!

C p weinberger

I’m assuming you mean a 25 yr plus importable JDM..
In general Japanese vans are Indeed not fast.. with that said I owed a 2wd 1998 Toyota hiace with the KZ 3.0 turbo diesel with 5 speed manual. I would drive that baby in the hills of Northern Tanzania with 7 passengers and luggage and rarely drop a gear. If it was available here I would buy it in a heart beat except..
1. Cab over makes you arrive first to all front end collisions..
2. Diesel cabovers vibrate annoying at idle in traffic, if you are used to petrol engines you will find it very noticeable and not really fixable. Manuals suck in east coast traffic.
3. Friend owned the AWD version and was very happy with it.
Good luck

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
What bunch of malarkey. Buy one. Have a blast and then sell it for more than you bought it. You can buy almost any part on the Earth on eBay and ship internationally. I'll remind you that a similar era domestic has sourcing issues too. RHD is great fun.

D

Deleted member 225824

Thanks! Funny no matter what direction I go, and there are more sensible ones for sure. The townace was so fun and perfect size.. still have 1k on it. But if hes listed it it's gone. They're so in demand. I figured drive it for a while, then sell it. I just dont see them losing value cause they're limited.

WarRig

Hey, I also have had a JDM Isuzu for about a year now and I’ve had a really hard time finding parts. Unfortunately my clutch is on its way out now. Any help if you have a lead of supply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

taylor3633

Observer
I had a JDM HZJ73 Land Crusier and loved a few things about it but really disliked the RHD, the 24v system, and the (relative) challenge of finding parts. In particular, I would not consider buying another RHD vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior