Imported Defender question

TexasD-90

Adventurer
I am looking at buying a 1986 Defender RHD diesel. It was imported 3 years ago and currently has an Oregon title. Will I be able to get it titled and registered in Colorado since it now has an Oregon title? Do I need all the import paperwork? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I bought my 1973 Pinzgauer from Washington and had no issue registering it in CO. It was an x-military vehicle registered as a SUV.
Since your LR is already registered in US it might have no issues but I would bring all the paperwork that you have just in case, but I would not volunteer any import information unless specifically asked. Just show the OR title and tell them that you want to now register in CO. Smile and be polite to the people behind the counter, it goes a long way.
It is a Land Rover after all and there are lots of them.

Correus

Adventurer
Not sure if you MUST have the importation paperwork or not, but considering issues with other imported ones I'd definitely have it ready. Each State's DMV requirements are different in general so it wouldn't hurt to call your local DMV and ask about that as well as other requirements. My Rover is a SIIa, so I didn't have to worry about import, yet I did ship it in from out of State. Before I could get it registered and tagged her I had to make sure I could get insurance for it as well as make sure the brake lights, turn signals and headlights worked. Even though it was a clean title, the title that was issued from the State it came from transposed the last two numbers. The DMV caught it and it had to be cleared up before it could get tagged. So it wouldn't hurt to check to make sure everything on the title is correct, including the spelling of the names, places and such are correct.

Correus

Adventurer
I bought my 1973 Pinzgauer from Washington and had no issue registering it in CO. It was an x-military vehicle registered as a SUV.
Since your LR is already registered in US it might have no issues but I would bring all the paperwork that you have just in case, but I would not volunteer any import information unless specifically asked. Just show the OR title and tell them that you want to now register in CO. Smile and be polite to the people behind the counter, it goes a long way.
It is a Land Rover after all and there are lots of them.

Good point, don't offer the import info unless they ask.

TexasD-90

Adventurer
Thanks! I’ll check with my insurance company for sure. As you guys said, I didn’t really want to call the DMV to ask. Thought I might be poking the bear.

Correus

Adventurer
Thanks! I’ll check with my insurance company for sure. As you guys said, I didn’t really want to call the DMV to ask. Thought I might be poking the bear.

Well...it's their job to provide you with answers. Check your State's DMV website for registering vehicles bought out of State. They probably have something considering the abundance of online auto auctions such as eBay and Bringatrailer.

TexasD-90

Adventurer
Well...it's their job to provide you with answers. Check your State's DMV website for registering vehicles bought out of State. They probably have something considering the abundance of online auto auctions such as eBay and Bringatrailer.

I have registered several vehicles from out of state, just didn’t know if it would be different since it’s an import.

WHB

The only problem you might run into is the CO DMV computer or personnel recognizing your non-US VIN as the wrong year. My 1986 was titled as a 1981 in CT and NC because there was an “A” in the VIN which, for a US car, would have corresponded to “1.” This was despite the fact that UK VINs did not follow this convention.

We were able to clear it up with the original import paperwork and a “heritage certificate” from the folks at link below.

krick3tt

Adventurer
When it was time to register my Pinzgauer the vin did not correspond to vins in the US, I just added '0' to all the missing spaces.

4xdog

Explorer
We have a thread going on here someplace about Colorado changing their regulations to no longer allow road-registration of ex-military vehicles (I think). If your Defender is ex-MoD, that thread's probably worth checking out.

Correus

Adventurer
When it was time to register my Pinzgauer the vin did not correspond to vins in the US, I just added '0' to all the missing spaces.

Intresting.... on the old Series Rovers the 'VIN' number is the chassis number. It doesn't correspond with the format of the modern vin system here in KS. The Sheriff's officer in of inspecting out-of-State vehicles didn't give a rat's butt about it. All he did was make sure the "VIN" number on the bulkhead data plate matched the numbers stamped on all three locations of the chassis. I did call ahead and let him know it was a '63 Land Rover and that the actual numbers were stamped on the chassis, which required getting on the ground. I was rather surprised when I showed up. I had brought the information with me showing where all three were located; turns out he took the time to look it up himself.

Bajab

I am looking at buying a 1986 Defender RHD diesel. It was imported 3 years ago and currently has an Oregon title. Will I be able to get it titled and registered in Colorado since it now has an Oregon title? Do I need all the import paperwork? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
You may have already gotten the vehicle registered but if you have not just make sure you have two VIN numbers in the engine compartment that are easy to read and the current registration form what ever state you got it from that should get it. At least that is how I did it California.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles