Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

TGK

As noted earlier, the lift bed on the XplorerXR22 toy hauler is 48" wide. On the non toy hauler X22, I asked the about actual width of the X22 "RV Queen" bed. I got a response from Imperial Outdoor that it was 54" x 75", which is actually the size of a "full bed" in the residential/hospitality market. One of their dealers told me it was a Queen width (60"?) only shorter. At this point, I'm hoping for confirmation.

maineboarder87@gmail.com I have one of the XR22, one of the first versions off the lot, had it since Nov and been out with it 6 times. I am happy to answer any questions about it. I have also viewed the Opus15 and Black Series. I was originally going to get an Opus 15 and then I switched to the XR22. There were several issues with the Opus15 that I didn't care for even though I love their Tent Campers. The XR22 is well built the insulation on it is quite amazing, I barely use any propane and the heat fan turns on just for a short time in cold temperatures. Overall the toy hauler version of this is quite spacious and while I have not done enough off road with it, it travels well and the clearance is nice. Looking to run it through more paces this summer. These guys have a good video on what it can do - .

As far as the bed I would say that is the one drawback in this entire thing. The couch below is suppose to be a bed to act like a bunk, but it doesn't work like that yet. I have been working with the dealer and Imperial to get this fixed as this was promised to me when I bought it. I have it rigged for now for a quick fix. The upper bunk that lowers is smaller, my wife and I can fit on it but we are not very large people and it is best made for one person. The tent on top can also sleep someone, but not in the winter unless you really like the cold..I slept in it down to 30 degrees. I also believe they need a little larger battery set with it as the fridge is quite a energy hog, but is amazing how large it is. The toilet which was mentioned needing power above is run off a battery that doesn't need much. There is no black tank it is a dry flush toilet system that works quite well and keeps you from having to worry about finding a dump station. The bags are expensive but I have been happy with that selection. Why the trailer is heavy compared to other overloading trailers our family was looking for something that allowed us to get far off road but still had some luxury my wife and daughter insisted on a shower and bathroom in the trailer (this accomplished that). I have seen picture of the new version, I do think the bed will be larger but still won't be a full Queen based on the specs of the existing trailer. There will be a trade off of flexility in the space as right now almost everything folds away leaving a complete open compartment to move around or store stuff in. I do believe making the upper bunk a little larger and fixing the lower bunk would make everything feel much better for me. Hope that helps...happy to answer anything.

TGK

Thanks for the feedback. Your first hand experience with the sleeping options confirm my concerns. Regarding the battery and the large refrigerator draw, how much solar capacity do you have on the roof? I was wondering about having sufficient power for a larger all electric rig. It's great if your in the SW, the high desert of the Great Basin or out in the open. However, if boon docking and nestled in the trees up in the Cascades or some other forested environment, where getting good solar exposure can be an issue, I much prefer propane refrigeration. I've had years of experience with it and it works, whether the sun shines or not.

Thanks for the feedback. Your first hand experience with the sleeping options confirm my concerns. Regarding the battery and the large refrigerator draw, how much solar capacity do you have on the roof? I was wondering about having sufficient power for a larger all electric rig. It's great if your in the SW, the high desert of the Great Basin or out in the open. However, if boon docking and nestled in the trees up in the Cascades or some other forested environment, where getting good solar exposure can be an issue, I much prefer propane refrigeration. I've had years of experience with it and it works, whether the sun shines or not.
The version I have is 200Watts GO Solar Panels, standard battery is two Optima Bluetop D27M. I had a short with my refrigerator originally which was taking more draw than expected. That has been fixed and I have only been 3 days off grid with it so far and tested it for 5 days in my backyard. Need to do more experiments to find out truly how long I can go as this was all winter desert camping (sun setting at 5:30) will be moving to the forests now that is getting warmer. I do think the fridge is solid and not sure how much less a propane fridge would draw you would have to do the comparison. I will be planning if I need to do any upgrades to my batteries or bring along another portal solar panel with me. Looks like the non toy hauler version might have a different battery setup.

SuperSolarDude

The version I have is 200Watts GO Solar Panels, standard battery is two Optima Bluetop D27M. I had a short with my refrigerator originally which was taking more draw than expected. That has been fixed and I have only been 3 days off grid with it so far and tested it for 5 days in my backyard. Need to do more experiments to find out truly how long I can go as this was all winter desert camping (sun setting at 5:30) will be moving to the forests now that is getting warmer. I do think the fridge is solid and not sure how much less a propane fridge would draw you would have to do the comparison. I will be planning if I need to do any upgrades to my batteries or bring along another portal solar panel with me. Looks like the non toy hauler version might have a different battery setup.
I too have been looking at the new model vs the toy hauler. Its between this and a BS HQ19. The new model moves all the electrical inside under the bed. They now use 2 100ah lithium batteries! Major upgrade from the 2 Optima setup. Best I can tell though they still use the same solar panels which while they work, I'd like to see some more efficient 150 or 200 watt panels. For the price point of the trailer, I feel they could upgrade the panels.

dasadab

I am very interested to hear what you decide. I have also been considering the HQ19. Although I think it is probably too much trailer for my 2019 F150, 3.5.

I too have been looking at the new model vs the toy hauler. Its between this and a BS HQ19. The new model moves all the electrical inside under the bed. They now use 2 100ah lithium batteries! Major upgrade from the 2 Optima setup. Best I can tell though they still use the same solar panels which while they work, I'd like to see some more efficient 150 or 200 watt panels. For the price point of the trailer, I feel they could upgrade the panels.

Yes it looks like the batteries were moved inside from the pictures. Not sure if they still have any on the outside as the compartment is still on the outside as well. So the battery upgrade is definitely a plus. Not sure what the new panels are. The place I bought mine from have seen the new model but I have not talked to them yet nor do they have any yet. I looked at the BS HQ17 and 19 and Opus 15. The HQ17 and 19 were a lot heavier than the Imperial and the 19 was quite long. The heaviness of the BS was a factor as I didn't want to pull the 19 with the truck setup I had. The Opus 15 was very small and the bunk beds in there were almost not usable and the table and couch was uncomfortable and worthless, also the stairs to get in the thing folds underneath the trailer and I feel like a rock would rip it right off. The black tank in the Opus 15 also seemed awfully small. We use the tent on the Imperial to sleep and for extra space to hang out and with and with the Toy Hauler there is lots of space inside the Imperial which is great in the winter when the sun goes down. The suspension system on the Black Series and Opus are very different than the Imperial, they use independent suspension systems, the Imperial uses a system with an an automated lift kit, underneath everything is covered and plated and has 20' clearance. In theory it is smoother on the highway and very stable, can't compare directly to the BS as I have not towed it. Everything so far on the Imperial has been of high quality and all made in US, I know there have been some complaints on the BS stuff from some of the message boards. Overall, Imperial is a new product and I was willing to take a chance with it, will be many more trips for myself and others before it can be fully vetted out. I do know the Dealer I bought from has sold all of their models I bought the first one and I believe they sold 3 or 4 more.

Folgore

Thanks @SuperSolarDude! I'm 6'2" as well. Though snug-ish I don't feel like my head was hitting the fan area at all, and I had my shoes on at the time. Honestly think the bath area in whole is remarkably large considering its a 22 foot V-nose.

SuperSolarDude

Thanks @SuperSolarDude! I'm 6'2" as well. Though snug-ish I don't feel like my head was hitting the fan area at all, and I had my shoes on at the time. Honestly think the bath area in whole is remarkably large considering its a 22 foot V-nose.
Interesting. I was going off of photos and videos. One was 6' with shoes and was like a half inch from it. I figured me without shoes would hit it. I'm hoping to get eyes on one this coming year. I'm working in FL for a while so no dealers around here.

TGK

Just a heads up for anyone interested, Big Country RV in Redmond and Bend, Oregon has 3 of the XR22 Toyhaulers in stock per their website today. I'm am not affiliated in any way with them. I did stop in at the Redmond location to see one first hand on the way back home to Portland 2 weeks ago. The are listed for sale from $63.9 to $65.9 depending on options. The sales guy who showed me one of the units was not high pressure and helpful. As I've indicated earlier in this thread, an interesting concept with many positive qualities, only a bit heavier than I prefer and the sleeping arrangement lacking.

Grassland

I'd like to see the non toy hauler version when it's made.
Too much for my truck and too large but otherwise an interesting concept and good R value which helps both hot and cold weather.
Plus it looks cool, and isn't that the most important part?

Reactions: TGK

Twisted Noodle

My wife and I just got turned onto this. The way it's insulated is what attracted us. Everything is build above the frame. It IS really expensive, but it seems like you're getting more quality for your buck. The housing market is crazy right now. The wife and I have been talking about selling everything and living permanently in one of these. But... we live in Buffalo, NY, and might not see -40 degrees, but -10 is common in January. I don't care to have a toy hauler this short, per se but I really dig being able to drop the gate and have a back porch!

Last edited:

Waygoner

Observer
Just a heads up for anyone interested, Big Country RV in Redmond and Bend, Oregon has 3 of the XR22 Toyhaulers in stock per their website today. I'm am not affiliated in any way with them. I did stop in at the Redmond location to see one first hand on the way back home to Portland 2 weeks ago. The are listed for sale from $63.9 to $65.9 depending on options. The sales guy who showed me one of the units was not high pressure and helpful. As I've indicated earlier in this thread, an interesting concept with many positive qualities, only a bit heavier than I prefer and the sleeping arrangement lacking.

These are also available in South Fork, Colorado at Colorado Rv Center - https://www.coloradorvcenter.com/

SuperSolarDude

maineboarder87@gmail.com I have one of the XR22, one of the first versions off the lot, had it since Nov and been out with it 6 times. I am happy to answer any questions about it. I have also viewed the Opus15 and Black Series. I was originally going to get an Opus 15 and then I switched to the XR22. There were several issues with the Opus15 that I didn't care for even though I love their Tent Campers. The XR22 is well built the insulation on it is quite amazing, I barely use any propane and the heat fan turns on just for a short time in cold temperatures. Overall the toy hauler version of this is quite spacious and while I have not done enough off road with it, it travels well and the clearance is nice. Looking to run it through more paces this summer. These guys have a good video on what it can do - .

As far as the bed I would say that is the one drawback in this entire thing. The couch below is suppose to be a bed to act like a bunk, but it doesn't work like that yet. I have been working with the dealer and Imperial to get this fixed as this was promised to me when I bought it. I have it rigged for now for a quick fix. The upper bunk that lowers is smaller, my wife and I can fit on it but we are not very large people and it is best made for one person. The tent on top can also sleep someone, but not in the winter unless you really like the cold..I slept in it down to 30 degrees. I also believe they need a little larger battery set with it as the fridge is quite a energy hog, but is amazing how large it is. The toilet which was mentioned needing power above is run off a battery that doesn't need much. There is no black tank it is a dry flush toilet system that works quite well and keeps you from having to worry about finding a dump station. The bags are expensive but I have been happy with that selection. Why the trailer is heavy compared to other overloading trailers our family was looking for something that allowed us to get far off road but still had some luxury my wife and daughter insisted on a shower and bathroom in the trailer (this accomplished that). I have seen picture of the new version, I do think the bed will be larger but still won't be a full Queen based on the specs of the existing trailer. There will be a trade off of flexility in the space as right now almost everything folds away leaving a complete open compartment to move around or store stuff in. I do believe making the upper bunk a little larger and fixing the lower bunk would make everything feel much better for me. Hope that helps...happy to answer anything.
As an owner, I'm hoping you can answer a few questions if you don't mind. I don't have anywhere close to see these in person, so I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before I go see one in person.

1: From video/photos, it looks like there are some stabilizing jacks underneath. Can you confirm if there are and if so, how do they work?

2: Can you tell where the hydraulic pump and air compressor are mounted?

3: With the two included batteries, which I would swap out anyway, what would you rate the fridge consumption? Would two batteries with no solar input carry the fridge alone for a weekend?

4: As far as the toilet, do you think one liner would last one person at least a week under "normal" usage?

5: Can the solar controller be accessed to swap it out for a different model?

6: Any idea on the propane usage for the tankless water heater?

I appreciate any and all questions you may be able to answer. I'm super interested in one and trying to find out as much as I can before making the trek to see one in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke