Imperial Outdoors Xplore XR22

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

The old Obsessed2findARuggedHybid would jump all over IO for the condensation issues but JR is right things happen on new designs and simply cracking a window fixies the issue. That's an easy mod even for me.

Now the screws in cabinets is kind of lame especially for a company who got thier start finishing the interior of fish houses.

Raspy

What's up with ROA?

Imperial Outdoors Xplore X195 **temporarily unavailable**
ROA is holding off until Imperial fixes a few things on the X195 and Roamer1 trailers. Possibly the X145 too. There are four points of concern. 1. Better fridge venting. (easy with a fan). 2. Better inverter ventilation. (fan and controller to ventilate under the bed). 3. Strengthen the cabinetry. (just needs more screws in strategic locations in the kitchen cabinets and fridge alcove). 4. Condensation on the perimeter extrusions inside. (needs sticky-back tape applied to interior extrusions and owners need to be told to crack a window at night and open a couple of windows when cooking or showering. There buyers are lined up, but it's best to get these things handled, obviously, at the manufacturer level, before the sale and some people don't understand living in a small insulated box produces condensation. I don't know how Imperial overlooked these things, but they did.

For more info or to join in the conversation, come on over to Xplore Trailer Community on Facebook. A nice place to hang out with lots of information.

PeteEinMT

Observer
I’m not sure people are lined up to get these. Im not sure they have moved any in a year.

Raspy

I’m not sure people are lined up to get these. Im not sure they have moved any in a year.
Well, I'm not affiliated with ROA, but I know they had a lot of R1s on order when I got mine and each time I've been back there, there has been been a list of people waiting, more trailers on the lot and in the shop getting upgrades. ROA is the only dealer for Roamer1. Over on Xplore Trailer Community, people are occasionally showing off their new X195 or R1. I'm assuming Shaun over at Colorado RV is doing well too, but I'm not affiliated with them either. They have added a nice outdoor kitchen to the 195. In September, we were at the ROA Rally and there were about six of them there. Now, ROA is tapping the brakes to get issues fixed before the sale, instead of after. They certainly have been selling over the last year and the two or three times I've checked, there were people waiting. As mentioned, I'm not affiliated, but I like to keep my finger on the pulse, and share fixes and upgrades.

Any Xplore owners or potential owners should definitely follow Raspy's FB group as you are all lucky to have his knowledge and support. He is very honest about any issues and pros of these trailers.

I am surprised that IO and ROA did not communicate better about the condensation on the extrusions. I mean they have been tested to -40 below by IO and I believe a bit below zero at the Truma facility. Maybe they left out the human that has to breath inside the trailer in thier testing.

My guess is ROA is waiting on the composite walls more then anything else.

My biggest criticism with the xplore is they got out of hand with the mark ups to start with. Now they are coming down to a some what reasonable price. Plus there are only three choices in this space. IO, Pause and Kingdom.

Raspy

I have a lot of respect for Pause. They have the right intentions and the resources to back it up with a quality product. But I just can't get past the, sort of, rudimentary outcome of their endeavors, and the lingering legacy of the Indiana trailer history. The frames are a crude design, while strong. The tongues are very short and filled with stuff, the frame angle in front of the body is not conducive to maneuvering or avoiding contact with the rear of the truck and there is barely room to open the tailgate. The in-house articulating hitch is an ongoing design exercise that misses the point. The tires are small, they are using drum brakes, the wheels stick out from the sides of the body and make the trailer wide, but give no more interior room. Wide trailers are harder to get through narrow spots off-road. The simple frame design mandates that the wheels will stick out so far. The body panels are really tough, but they had to plaster a huge decal over the entire side to hide imperfections in the panels and that decal will get torn up by passing branches with no way to fix it, whereas fiberglass sides can be buffed out and painted if necessary. Mor-Ryde is scrambling to make suspension and hitches for them because they have a close relationship and because Pause insists on using American products. That's fine. But there is a lack of sophistication and beauty of design somehow that leaves me cold.

Imperial, on the other hand, has a different problem. The owner Isaac is in complete control and responsible for the entire design. He is good, but not perfect. He's human. He misses the details in his eagerness to be efficient. Those problems are now showing up with poorly designed cabinets that are more like IKEA furniture than robust off-road furniture. Inadequate inverter and fridge venting must be improved. The solar is good on the new line of trailers, X195 and Roamer1, but ridiculous on the earlier ones, the X22 and XR22. Now, there have been some initial rollout problems that are a very common general issue with all new products that get rushed into production with inadequate testing. This happens across the board with all new products that are developed under a deadline. Fortunately, the venting and the cabinet issues are simple to fix, but people spending this kind of money are not patient with this kind of problem. The trailers are a beautiful overall design with lines that please and tow extremely well. The storage boxes are thick aluminum, the tongue is long and narrow. The suspension is the best in the world. The frames are a sophisticated design built by a separate manufacturer that has worked with them for years and are well done. The tires are large and housed under the trailer, with steel fenders, and disk brakes. The perimeter extrusions are aluminum, whereas the Pause extrusions are plastic. This means strength and it means awnings can be bolted directly to the extrusions without a lot of special brackets. The battery bank is enormous, at 1,080 AH of Expion brand lithium, and has heat ducted to it. There is an emergency backup charging system that helps with self recovery if the batteries are shut down, the AC is quiet and runs on 12 volts, the solar is huge at 1,240 watts. There is no ridiculous black tank. And it has 60 gallons of fresh water. It has a parking brake. My job, with my Roamer1, is to dial it in and report on how to do that simply and efficiently. That is what I'm doing. I now have about 36 modifications I have done and I'm very happy with the results. Before I got the R1, I had an X22 for a couple of years and did 50 modifications on that one. It turned out to be an extremely comfortable and capable trailer that was almost completely off grid, including its AC system. My new R1 is getting better in a number of ways and is nearly done. More efficient, more durable, more user friendly, better energy management. I'm finding the weak points and dealing with them. Anyone interested in this should come over to Xplore Trailer Community on Facebook and join the conversation. It's a friendly and very useful site for anyone interested in Xplore trailers, with a lot of capable owners. We share info on repairs, upgrades, new models and camping trips. I'm happy to share my findings and up-grade strategies.

Over the years, I have had a pop-up camper on my truck, a 20 ft Thor toy hauler, an Oliver E2, a Black Series HQ19, an Xplore X22 and now a Roamer1. I live in northern Nevada and camp on BLM land almost exclusively, but I do cover a lot of miles both on and off highway. While traveling I stay at rest areas, truck stops, and National Forests, but absolutely avoid KOAs and don't need any hookups.

Last edited:

I have a lot of respect for Pause. They have the right intentions and the resources to back it up with a quality product. But I just can't get past the, sort of, rudimentary outcome of their endeavors, and the lingering legacy of the Indiana trailer history. The frames are a crude design, while strong. The tongues are very short and filled with stuff, the frame angle in front of the body is not conducive to maneuvering or avoiding contact with the rear of the truck and there is barely room to open the tailgate. The in-house articulating hitch is an ongoing design exercise that misses the point. The tires are small, they are using drum brakes, the wheels stick out from the sides of the body and make the trailer wide, but give no more interior room. Wide trailers are harder to get through narrow spots off-road. The simple frame design mandates that the wheels will stick out so far. The body panels are really tough, but they had to plaster a huge decal over the entire side to hide imperfections in the panels and that decal will get torn up by passing branches with no way to fix it, whereas fiberglass sides can be buffed out and painted if necessary. More-Ryde is scrambling to make suspension and hitches for them because they have a close relationship and because Pause insists on using American products. That's fine. But there is a lack of sophistication and beauty of design somehow that leaves me cold.

Imperial, on the other hand, has a different problem. The owner Isaac is in complete control and responsible for the entire design. He is good, but not perfect. He's human. He misses the details in his eagerness to be efficient. Those problems are now showing up with poorly designed cabinets that are more like IKEA furniture than robust off-road furniture. Inadequate inverter and fridge venting must be improved. The solar is good on the new line of trailers, but ridiculous on the earlier ones. Now, there have been some initial rollout problems that are a very common general issue with all new products that get rushed into production with inadequate testing. This happens across the board with all new products that are developed under a deadline. Fortunately, the venting and the cabinet issues are simple to fix, but people spending this kind of money are not patient with this kind of problem. The trailers are a beautifu overall design with lines that please and tow extremely well. The storage boxes are thick aluminum, the tongue is long and narrow. The suspension is the best in the world. The frame is a sophisticated design built by a separate manufacturer that has worked with them for years and are well done. The tires are large and housed under the traile, with steel fenders, and disk brakes. The perimeter extrusions are aluminum, whereas the Pause extrusions are plastic. This means strength and it mean awnings can be bolted directly to the extrusions without a lot of special brackets. The battrey bank is enormous and has heat ducted to it. There is an emergency backup charging system that helps with self recovery if the batteries are shut down, the Ac is quiet and runs on 12 volts, the solar is huge. There is no ridiculous black tank. And it has 60 gallons of fresh water. And it has a parking brake. My job, with my Roamer1, is to dial it in and report on how to do that simply and efficiently. That is what I'm doing. I now have about 36 modifications I have done and I'm very happy with the results. Before I got the R1, I had an X22 for a couple of years and did 50 modifications on that one. It turned out to be an extremely comfortable and capable trailer that was almost completely off grid, including its AC system. The new R1 is getting better in a number of ways and is nearly done. More efficient, more durable, more user friendly, better energy management. I'm finding the weak points and dealing with them. Anyone interested in this should come over to Xplore Trailer Community on Facebook and join the conversation. It's a friendly and very useful site for Xplore trailers with a lot of capable owners. I'm happy to share my findings and up-grade strategies.

Over the years, I have had a pop-up camper on my truck, a 20 ft Thor toy hauler, an Oliver E2, a Black Series HQ19, an Xplore X22 and now a Roamer1. I live in the Nevada desert and camp on BLM land almost exclusively, but I do cover a lot of miles both on and off highway. While traveling I stay at rest areas, truck stops, and National Forests, but absolutely avoid KOAs and don't need any hookups.

Nailed it!

Raspy

There is a post up on that FB page about how the cabinets are pulling away from the walls. There are photos of all the places you can sink additional screws to help out, but still don't carry anything "heavy" in them when traveling.
They are not coming off the walls, the bottoms are sagging down. Adding screws makes them much stronger than they were when built. It just makes sense that even when fixed, there should be some discretion on how much weight is carried in them. Especially off-road. 50 pounds of canned goods, for instance, would be better suited in the under seat cabinets.

jaywo

I have a lot of respect for Pause. They have the right intentions and the resources to back it up with a quality product. But I just can't get past the, sort of, rudimentary outcome of their endeavors, and the lingering legacy of the Indiana trailer history. The frames are a crude design, while strong. The tongues are very short and filled with stuff, the frame angle in front of the body is not conducive to maneuvering or avoiding contact with the rear of the truck and there is barely room to open the tailgate. The in-house articulating hitch is an ongoing design exercise that misses the point. The tires are small, they are using drum brakes, the wheels stick out from the sides of the body and make the trailer wide, but give no more interior room. Wide trailers are harder to get through narrow spots off-road. The simple frame design mandates that the wheels will stick out so far. The body panels are really tough, but they had to plaster a huge decal over the entire side to hide imperfections in the panels and that decal will get torn up by passing branches with no way to fix it, whereas fiberglass sides can be buffed out and painted if necessary. Mor-Ryde is scrambling to make suspension and hitches for them because they have a close relationship and because Pause insists on using American products. That's fine. But there is a lack of sophistication and beauty of design somehow that leaves me cold.

Imperial, on the other hand, has a different problem. The owner Isaac is in complete control and responsible for the entire design. He is good, but not perfect. He's human. He misses the details in his eagerness to be efficient. Those problems are now showing up with poorly designed cabinets that are more like IKEA furniture than robust off-road furniture. Inadequate inverter and fridge venting must be improved. The solar is good on the new line of trailers, X195 and Roamer1, but ridiculous on the earlier ones, the X22 and XR22. Now, there have been some initial rollout problems that are a very common general issue with all new products that get rushed into production with inadequate testing. This happens across the board with all new products that are developed under a deadline. Fortunately, the venting and the cabinet issues are simple to fix, but people spending this kind of money are not patient with this kind of problem. The trailers are a beautiful overall design with lines that please and tow extremely well. The storage boxes are thick aluminum, the tongue is long and narrow. The suspension is the best in the world. The frames are a sophisticated design built by a separate manufacturer that has worked with them for years and are well done. The tires are large and housed under the trailer, with steel fenders, and disk brakes. The perimeter extrusions are aluminum, whereas the Pause extrusions are plastic. This means strength and it means awnings can be bolted directly to the extrusions without a lot of special brackets. The battery bank is enormous, at 1,080 AH of Expion brand lithium, and has heat ducted to it. There is an emergency backup charging system that helps with self recovery if the batteries are shut down, the AC is quiet and runs on 12 volts, the solar is huge at 1,240 watts. There is no ridiculous black tank. And it has 60 gallons of fresh water. It has a parking brake. My job, with my Roamer1, is to dial it in and report on how to do that simply and efficiently. That is what I'm doing. I now have about 36 modifications I have done and I'm very happy with the results. Before I got the R1, I had an X22 for a couple of years and did 50 modifications on that one. It turned out to be an extremely comfortable and capable trailer that was almost completely off grid, including its AC system. My new R1 is getting better in a number of ways and is nearly done. More efficient, more durable, more user friendly, better energy management. I'm finding the weak points and dealing with them. Anyone interested in this should come over to Xplore Trailer Community on Facebook and join the conversation. It's a friendly and very useful site for anyone interested in Xplore trailers, with a lot of capable owners. We share info on repairs, upgrades, new models and camping trips. I'm happy to share my findings and up-grade strategies.

Over the years, I have had a pop-up camper on my truck, a 20 ft Thor toy hauler, an Oliver E2, a Black Series HQ19, an Xplore X22 and now a Roamer1. I live in northern Nevada and camp on BLM land almost exclusively, but I do cover a lot of miles both on and off highway. While traveling I stay at rest areas, truck stops, and National Forests, but absolutely avoid KOAs and don't need any hookups.

You seem very knowledgeable. What about Kimberley Kruiser, Bruder EXP and Kingdom? What’s the best between all of those and the Pause 16.4 and X145?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94