ImNoSaint's Tahoe Build

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Part Two: Sleep Platform 2.0 and Onboard Air System

First, some set design considerations had to be respected, essentially the height of the Dometic insert. We’d need at least thirty inches of clearance from the platform to the ceiling of the WRōV for comfort and utility, so the platform had to come in under twelve inches. And then the storage capability of the old insert; the three-tiered pantry seemed indispensable, along with the mess kit drawer.

img_6946.jpg

Losing this cargo space created some challenges and the ICECO JP40 fridge had to go, making room for a smaller capacity drawer fridge. I started dismantling the previous insert, and laid out the footprint fo the new one.

img_6951.jpg

In taking apart the old insert I came across a couple of other issues I’d have to resolve. The cast aluminum junctions didn’t hold up under the strain of a flexing body-on-frame.

img_6947.jpg

That means doubling hardware at the most stressed joints and re-evaluating how the insert will attach to the chassis. As of this writing, I’ve yet to figure out that second part.

I ordered and received the drawer fridge, confirming all its dimensions as listed on the Amazon product page and realized that to keep the height down I’d have to make the fridge a stressed member of the frame, not hard to do with 90 degree angles and the mounting points on the fridge itself.

img_7021.jpg

The second positions of the mounting points on the fridge allowed me to lower it between the T-channel, preserving the low profile.

img_6953.jpg

With this design issue solved, I moved ahead, installing the ninety-degree corners to reinforce each junction, cutting the uprights to height and installing them, installing the drawer slides for the stove/sink combo and then the drawer itself. I then mounted the cargo drawer that will open into the LH side passenger door, as well as the paneling now that I had a frame to measure to. The panels were installed with silicone to keep them from rattling in place. The space behind the cargo drawer was fit with a frame that would hold the two ARB compressors, and the same was done with the space behind the stove/sink drawer for the water pump.

69024753386__a1a1a4f9-f3c1-40ae-b3a3-eb74e60d8ee5.jpg

The placement of the appliances created a narrow space at the center of the insert where I hope to stow a collapsable table, easily retrievable to set up for more counter space.

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Part Three: Sleep Platform 2.0 and Onboard Air System

Next was the wiring. The WRōV has a secondary house battery used for lights, comms and cameras back in its PPV days, which I now have dedicated to power the insert. Twelve volt power is distributed through a Blue Sea blade fuse panel direct to switched items like the fridge and work lights in the tailgate, and to the switch panel for power to the compressors and the water pump. This is located on the left side of the insert.

The ARB compressors come with their wiring looms ready to install, from switches to relays, to fused circuits, and connectors on the compressor side of things to make a relatively easy install. First I made the electrical service panel, cutting out spaces for the switch panel, fuse box and house air. I then wired the switch side of the loom through the electrical panel to the Blue Sea fuse box and wired it for house power as well. I then inserted the panel on the LH frame and laid out the looms out for a test fit and routing of the relays, fuses and connectors to the compressors for power and for the high pressure cut-off. I connected the water pump to its switch as well.

img_6969.jpg

img_6970.jpg

img_6971.jpg

img_6972.jpg
img_6973.jpg
img_6974.jpg
img_6975.jpg
69024685328__619d7d09-9943-407d-8ed0-7cd47695fcb1.jpg

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Part Four: Sleep Platform 2.0 and Onboard Air System

I then plumbed the air hoses, one compressor per axle that would quick-connect through the right side panel through the body work to the chassis beneath, then out to front and rear air NPT air fittings. I added a fifth fitting for house air to inflate our Exped Synmat sleeping pads on the same panel as the switchgear and fuse box.

img_6988.jpg
img_6989.jpg
69024709444__7fd916d8-6f04-4386-a0b2-0dcb60d1871c-1.jpg

I made four air hose extensions that connect to each fitting with quick-connect chucks that clip on to the valve stems. While the position of the rear fitting might make one wince, it was the only semi-protected place it could go.

I completed the frame with the top rails added and reinforced and then went through each junction with LOCTITE. The bed of the WRŌV has an inch difference in depth in certain areas, so I also created adjustable feet for the frame that will fit in and take the weight of the platform and sleepers and hopefully distribute it evenly across the bed.

img_6995.jpg
img_7005.jpg
img_6993.jpg
img_7020.jpg

The next step was to install the stanchions that support the loft so I could get dimensions for the cut of the plywood I’m using for the deck. I measured and cut four sections of half-inch birch plywood, four feet wide, two pieces at 22″, one at 24″ and one at seven inches. I notched out the 24″ piece to fit within the stanchions, and sanded all down all the pieces, rounding corners and edges and creating a trough for the piano hinge between the front platform and the piece used for the access door. I then test fit all the pieces.

img_6990.jpg
img_6991-1.jpg
img_6992.jpg

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Part Five: Sleep Platform 2.0 and Onboard Air System

The stationary platform pieces would be fit with M5 black allen screws countersunk to t-nuts in the track of the extruded aluminum. Each nut was fit into the tracks with a dab of silicon to retain them in place, and then their position was marked on the outside edge of the channel so I wouldn’t have to hunt each one down. I drilled the pilot holes and then the counter-sink bowls. With the surfaces prepped and drilled, I rolled them with three coats of Raptor bedliner, wishing I had gone with a smooth nap instead of the textured one in the kit. The result is far from what I wanted, but I’ll be living with it for now.

img_7009.jpg
img_7013.jpg
img_7018.jpg
img_7173.jpg

The access panel uses a piano hinge and a compression latch for operation. While the header piece of the platform to the panel was designed to be offset from its t-channel cross member, the panel itself needed more support besides the latch, so I fashioned three support out of half-inch thick, three-inch round dense plastic discs, cut in half and mounted on the underside of the header panel. I added drawer pull handles to the sides of the access panel to assist in opening and closing.

img_7012.jpg
img_7175.jpg
img_7177.jpg
img_7176.jpg

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Part Six: Sleep Platform 2.0 and Onboard Air System

The last two items to be completed were the loft and the access panel gear storage system. The loft was built to size specifications of the CrashPad storage cubes used to stow mess and cooking, coffee prep and pantry items. During a run to the San Rafael Swell with my daughter and her partner, I saw how these cubes worked out well for their overlanding needs in their first-gen Tacoma build, so I ordered four for this build. CrashPad is in Australia, known for their products in the Land of Overlanding. Shipping for my order took less than a week. Can’t wait to use them.

img_7162.jpg
69196094820__ecd73d4d-9d0e-4fb7-8011-010bd02e0250.jpg

The loft itself will be mounted after the platform is installed. The storage panel access door on the previous insert was used to stow gear I secure on the WRōV. This worked well to keep things accessible but out of sight.

img_2004.jpg

I created something similar on version 2.0 using the panel real estate to create the same stealth and accessibility, but this required a bit more engineering to both assist in the panel’s access and its rigidity. I rolled the dice with 30lb struts, which are a bit much for the weight of the panel and its gear (I've since replaced them with 20lb struts which work much better). And the access panel wouldn’t open to a full ninety-degrees, critical for its position inside the WRōV.

img_7165.jpg

I ended up reinforcing the panel with t-channel which made for the desired open angle of the door and adjustable mount points for the struts.

img_7184-1.jpg

This completed the build of the platform. Next, the WRōV was prepped for the installation. I removed, cleaned and re-plumbed the nine gallon water tank. The 12V main was fitted with a quick connect wire harness plug, and I finished the pigtail lead for the rear work lights. The last task was to install the brass NPT fitting pass-throughs in the floor of the WRŌV for the air lines to access the chassis.

img_7003.jpg
img_7007.jpg
img_7005.jpg
img_7004.jpg

Ready for install. Fingers crossed.

Questions? Happy to answer.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So sorry to hear about your pups. We lost our 16 year old Shiba Inu last Easter Sunday. Had him since he was a puppy.
It's so hard having to say goodbye. It looks as though she really enjoyed her time here having adventures with you. You gave her a good life.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
So sorry to hear about your pups. We lost our 16 year old Shiba Inu last Easter Sunday. Had him since he was a puppy.
It's so hard having to say goodbye. It looks as though she really enjoyed her time here having adventures with you. You gave her a good life.
Sorry to hear about your Shiba Inu. Ginger and Maryann have always been with us on our adventures. This will be an adjustment. Thanks for touching base.

moderndaynorseman

Sorry to hear about your pups, I'm still not over losing my childhood dog and it's been almost 10 years since he passed so I understand how hard that is.

Side question: can you share some details on the shotgun mount? (unless they're mentioned earlier in the thread and I just missed it) I'm rethinking the interior storage in my rig and a secure, lockable mount would be very nice to have.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about your pups, I'm still not over losing my childhood dog and it's been almost 10 years since he passed so I understand how hard that is.

Side question: can you share some details on the shotgun mount? (unless they're mentioned earlier in the thread and I just missed it) I'm rethinking the interior storage in my rig and a secure, lockable mount would be very nice to have.

Thanks. The shotgun mount is a combination of a QuickFist universal gun mount and a Hold Up Displays locking pistol rack handgun hanger for the trigger guard.

zgfiredude

So sorry to hear about the pups.....it's SO hard to deal with. We just had to put down one of ours a couple of months ago, and I still talk to her daily.

Your corner gusset "feet" are brilliant! Is that a nutsert I see in there? Good to hear from you as literally just a couple of days ago it occurred to me that it had been some time and I wondered how you were doing.

Imnosaint

Adventurer
So sorry to hear about the pups.....it's SO hard to deal with. We just had to put down one of ours a couple of months ago, and I still talk to her daily.

Your corner gusset "feet" are brilliant! Is that a nutsert I see in there? Good to hear from you as literally just a couple of days ago it occurred to me that it had been some time and I wondered how you were doing.
Great to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your loss as well. It's a dog-people thing, and I've had to put other dogs down before, but the attachment on these two...

Good eye on the Nutsert. I was concerned they wouldn't take the weight, and despite our best efforts when we installed the platform my helpers slid it into the bed instead of lifting, so each "foot" torqued out of alignment. I've spent part of the day today realigning and extending them to the floor of the WRŌV where I think they'll work out as dreamed. Looking forward to getting some winter camping in.

Best wishes to you and your tribe for the holidays and beyond. All doing well, I hope.

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Adventurer
Part Seven: Sleep Platform 2.0 and Onboard Air System

The installation went well. A few tweeks and lowering the loft stanchions, but overall, I’m very happy with it.

img_7215.jpg

img_7217.jpg

Too cold to plumb and run water just yet.

img_7219.jpg

The CrashPads fit well and hold their place. I'm really liking how these will make stowing and retrieval easier.

img_7220.jpg

I eliminated the center cubby door after I snapped it in half when I closed the rear hatch, not realizing it had fallen open. The cubby is home to an REI table that I can deploy when I'm cooking.

img_7229.jpg

I've used elastic cargo netting on the loft to keep stuff from flying forward during sudden stops. They're also a good place to stow light items like these Klymit pillows.

img_7221.jpg

RH side service panel with water feed for the tankless water heater, an RV water inlet to fill the tank, and the dedicated NPT quick release are chucks that go down through the floor to the chassis to distribute out to the corners of the WRōV to air up tires.

img_7223.jpg

Survival gear storage and service access to the compressors and water pump. I replaced the 30lb struts with 20lb versions and reinforced the door with T-channel.

img_7225.jpg

LH side service panel with switchplate for H2O pump and ARB compressors. Working out ground issues on the ARB switches. Then there's the house air bib, and the Blue Sea blade fuse panel.

img_7226.jpg

The repositioned sleep gear drawer with compression latch.

img_7227.jpg

A MOLLE panel on each seat back provide additional storage for the trauma kit, air hoses, winch remote, and survival gear.

img_7231.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles