I'm tired of crappy Sun Showers....any good ones out there?

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Disclaimer: this is a petty, First World gripe but I'm looking for feedback regardless.

Took my kiddos camping last week for three days to do some fishing and generalized goofing-off.

I typically use a solar shower as a all-around campsite water source for rinsing dishes, washing hands and knocking the chunks off the dirty kids.

I've seriously been through 4-5 of the typical plastic, 5 gallon, sun-showers you buy at the sporting goods store. They puncture too easily....spring leaks from anywhere/everywhere or have a valve that starts leaking and is not repairable. Last weeks trip was no exception....the sun shower started leaking from the valve on Day #2....argh.

Does anyone know of a more rugged version of this piece of equipment? Something that can stand-up to more than a couple trips....

I welcome your feedback,

Nate

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep.

Stainless 3-5 gallon chemical pump sprayer, with a counter-top sink spray nozzle.

Pretty much built to last a life-time.

Just have to boil a pot of water or use a solar water bag to fill it/heat it up.

rotti

Adventurer
Bug/weed sprayer?
This thing has been used hundreds of times and is indestructible.
Con...bulky.

TYDXjqB.jpg

Just bought a Nemo collapsable sprayer. Works great and packs very small.
Con...we'll see how long it lasts.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Yep.

Stainless 3-5 gallon chemical pump sprayer, with a counter-top sink spray nozzle.

Pretty much built to last a life-time.

Just have to boil a pot of water or use a solar water bag to fill it/heat it up.

How did you fit the faucet to the sprayer? Sounds interesting.....

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I was gonna say a blacked out bug sprayer works best, but someone beat me to it.

If you want more liquid, switch to a blacked our 5 gal bucket with a vented lid. (ie. a lid that has holes for a hand pump) Take a chem sprayer hand pump and add that to the bucket, along with your choice of hand nozzle.

Let me ask you this. How much are you willing to spend? You can build your own from most hardware store components so the price is the only real limit. Back when I worked for TSC, I would build stuff like this for customers all the time. All they did was pay for the parts and assemble it themselves.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I was gonna say a blacked out bug sprayer works best, but someone beat me to it.

If you want more liquid, switch to a blacked our 5 gal bucket with a vented lid. (ie. a lid that has holes for a hand pump) Take a chem sprayer hand pump and add that to the bucket, along with your choice of hand nozzle.

Let me ask you this. How much are you willing to spend? You can build your own from most hardware store components so the price is the only real limit. Back when I worked for TSC, I would build stuff like this for customers all the time. All they did was pay for the parts and assemble it themselves.

I don't need huge volume so might opt against the 5 gallon model. Would lean towards a more rugged metal sprayer since my primary complaint is the plastic "sun showers" are prone to leaks/punctures.

Where do I source the spray handle?

Thanks,

Nate

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Any place that sells bug sprayers should also sell replacement parts, such as the pump and spray handles. If you're looking for something along the lines of a sink sprayer, then look in the sink aisle at your local hardware store. Actually, go to your preferred hardware store and tell them what you're trying to build. Most will already know what parts you'll need to make it work.

Metal sprayers aren't as robust as you think. I've seen 20 year old abused plastic tanks that never leak and 2 year old metal tanks that tear, chip and break easily. Its all in how you use/abuse them. Also, keep in mind, the plastic for your sun showers was made to be semi-disposable while the chemical sprayer tanks tend to be a bit more robust.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nemo Helio shower kit. Pricy but we love it. Probably the best camp gear item I added to our kit. Packs up in a cereal bowl sized zipper pouch. We use it to do dishes, and I use it to douse the camp fire also. Oh and its a great shower set up too.

Last edited:

blackwood

Adventurer
Just bought a Nemo collapsable sprayer. Works great and packs very small.
Con...we'll see how long it lasts.

Been using my Nemo unit for about 10 months now. I have a least 100 days of use with it in all types of terrain so far during that time. For extra protection, use something to line the foot pump so it doesn't puncture on rocks or cactus thorns. Something like a floor mat or cut a small section of plywood.

I would either go with the Nemo or Big Kahuna. The Bk units are powered by an electric pump.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Helio+Pressure+Shower+(Grey)
http://bigkahunashowers.com/shop/

If you need a warm shower, better look into different devices. I'm able to shower with ice cold creek water.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Any place that sells bug sprayers should also sell replacement parts, such as the pump and spray handles. If you're looking for something along the lines of a sink sprayer, then look in the sink aisle at your local hardware store. Actually, go to your preferred hardware store and tell them what you're trying to build. Most will already know what parts you'll need to make it work.

Metal sprayers aren't as robust as you think. I've seen 20 year old abused plastic tanks that never leak and 2 year old metal tanks that tear, chip and break easily. Its all in how you use/abuse them. Also, keep in mind, the plastic for your sun showers was made to be semi-disposable while the chemical sprayer tanks tend to be a bit more robust.

Cool, I'll take a look at both metal and plastic. I'm sure a search here will yield some results on how to cobble together a shower nozzle.

I understand the sun showers aren't very robust....just tired of buying them every half-dozen trips.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Love my NEMO Helio. I've had it since the prototype, about 4 years. It's been great, still packs tiny, though I'm mildly skeptical every single time it's time to stow it. It fits !

Mr. Snappy

Adventurer
Nemo helio. Like said before, packs small, works good. If you find a wider spout funnel that's not too tall, it'll make filling it easier, especially with hot water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior