I'm SOLD

crazysccrmd

Observer
You have a Rivian? Care to share any pics? Have you done any offroad / overland travel with it?

I do have one. No real off-roading yet, just some minor forest service roads. It handles well, traction is always excellent and it has the torque to crawl over anything smoothly. Suspension is decent, better than my Tacoma but not as smooth and supple as my TRX - to be expected since it is a compromise between onroad sport handling, hauling and off-road flexibility.

I tow my 7000lb trailer with it twice a week and it is the best tow vehicle I have ever had, to include HD diesels. Having 900ft/lbs of silent torque immediately available is pretty awesome. Range when towing sucks - drops to about 100 usable miles but I only tow 15ish so it’s not an issue for me yet.

Pictures show the lowest, highest and normal towing suspension heights.

916F43CD-5D53-4984-9F57-E59729607B5D.jpegF3B8CEAB-AE6D-49C5-8FB0-17FB928D7B72.jpeg2A97A074-F241-439B-949A-51FD8065D3D7.jpeg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I do have one. No real off-roading yet, just some minor forest service roads. It handles well, traction is always excellent and it has the torque to crawl over anything smoothly. Suspension is decent, better than my Tacoma but not as smooth and supple as my TRX - to be expected since it is a compromise between onroad sport handling, hauling and off-road flexibility.

I tow my 7000lb trailer with it twice a week and it is the best tow vehicle I have ever had, to include HD diesels. Having 900ft/lbs of silent torque immediately available is pretty awesome. Range when towing sucks - drops to about 100 usable miles but I only tow 15ish so it’s not an issue for me yet.

Pictures show the lowest, highest and normal towing suspension heights.

View attachment 753505View attachment 753506View attachment 753507
Very cool! Love the color too.

lucilius

I’m not ready for electric or rather, they aren’t ready for me yet. But this is cool and Rivian has been my favorite electrics thus far.
Whenever/wherever there is a cheap, abundant and cleaner source of electricity, these things make perfect sense, especially in urban areas. How is the RIvian on ice? Every time I see an electric car here in winter, I notice two things: it is clean (indicating it is kept in a garage) and that they always spin tires a bit getting going on an icy road. I always think "smart to keep those batteries warm" and that maybe the drivetrain could/should/does have a winter mode? No idea on the latter as I've never been in an electric car.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Whenever/wherever there is a cheap, abundant and cleaner source of electricity, these things make perfect sense, especially in urban areas. How is the RIvian on ice? Every time I see an electric car here in winter, I notice two things: it is clean (indicating it is kept in a garage) and that they always spin tires a bit getting going on an icy road. I always think "smart to keep those batteries warm" and that maybe the drivetrain could/should/does have a winter mode? No idea on the latter as I've never been in an electric car.

So far acceleration in ice hasn’t been an issue, no difference in tire soon from a normal vehicle. Slowing down and stopping can be a bit more dicey. Most EVs let the driver operate with only the accelerator and almost all the braking action is the electric motors regenerating power by resisting the slowing of the wheel. This is great for battery savings and brake life but does cause the wheel to lock up sometimes under heavy regen on slick surfaces.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Amazon van has started to appear on our roads here in the Bay Area. The Rivian pickup is pretty small when you see it in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles