I'm scared; transistion from 06' taco to 100 series, counsel me.

wingysataday

Adventurer
I purchased my truck brand new right off the delivery truck. I have poured thousands into upgrades. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Now We are expecting our 3rd child. I might be able to squeeze them all in but we aint done having kids(just getting started!). I vowed to never sell my beloved taco but now it's looking inevitable.
The issue. My truck only has 73k miles on it and is stone cold reliable. If I sell it, I will take part of that money and buy a used lx470 or 100 series 98-2003 with a price range around $8K-12k( depending on mileage, year, shape,... etc). I would like to have the cruiser modded and reliable with less than $14K total.
I realize I'm looking at something with 120,000 and up for the price point I'm at.
What to do???? I just don't want to regret this and end up replacing tranny's and engines etc...
Help...

I spelled "transition" wrong guess I can't change it.

Last edited:

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
You need to talk to Benc! He did exactly what you are describing. IMO, the 100-Series Land Cruiser is one of the most dependable Toyotas built.

Box Rocket

I think you have very little to worry about as long as you don't purchase a vehicle that has been neglected or abused. The 4.7L V8 is a great motor and I can't say I've ever heard of a transmission taking a dump on one of those trucks. They are awesome family rigs! I'm an 80 series guy but my brother in law has a nice LX470 and it's super comfortable and capable. Here's a teaser just to keep you motivated. :)

Depending on where you are located that might be possible, but finding them for under 10k isn't easy, at least on the west coast, and you will probably looking at around 150+ miles. But hunt around long enough and you wil find one. I got one with 130,000 for about $9k, and I would recommend going with either 98-99 so you have the factory locking diff. And there has been a lot of speculation on mud about 00-01 having transmission trouble. We just got a 2016 tacoma, and honestly my 99 cruiser is more comfortable still than the limited tacoma with leather. The power is nice too, and if you are careful with the gas I get 15.5-16 with mainly city driving. Still wish it did as well as our old tundra with the 4.7 which would get 24 on the highway sometimes, but the cruiser is much heavier and a differently built 4.7. Can't go wrong with a 100 series really!

peneumbra

Explorer
As good as the Toyota Tacoma is, the Land Cruiser is even better. They're the kind of vehicle that you'll keep for the rest of your life...

Benc

Explorer
You need to talk to Benc! He did exactly what you are describing. IMO, the 100-Series Land Cruiser is one of the most dependable Toyotas built.

Made almost the same transition about a year ago, I took one long trip with 3 kids and my 02 double cab and that was enough to tell me I had to do something different. I sold the Tacoma for 15k and bought a 2000 LC with 140k miles for $9500. I loved my truck and thought I would regret selling it but I couldn't be more happy with the 100! It's much more comfortable than the Tacoma and very capable off road. My wife has an 06 Acura MDX and we both prefer to drive the 100 series. Like others have said they are one of the most reliable rigs Toyota makes. Here are some more pics to help you with your decision. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442543894.543567.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442543913.705484.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442543961.558818.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442543984.113784.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tienckb

Adventurer
Series 100 were Toyota's flagship and the build quality shows and imho they were better built then compared to a lot of current generation Toyota line up. Also built in Japan. My 02 LX with 155k miles still drives like a champ. My trust instructed the rig to be kept in the family. Lol

tienckb

Adventurer
f2dd5f6138ed6c7b479e8aee38af2015.jpg

Elk

Observer
I made the switch in May from an '07 DCSB to an '06 LC. No regrets whatsoever other than missing my manual transmission. My Taco had 128,000 miles and the LC was purchased with 174,000. I have since put on 10,000 more. Having the 5spd in the later model is desirable, although a lot of guys would forgo the navigation equipped models. The holy grail is a late model Mexico or Hawaii truck that doesn't have Nav or AHC. With that being said, I have both features and they are reliable.

Major known issues are a higher incidence of failure on early 4 speeds (99-00), master cylinder failure (very infrequent, but seems to be highest on early models), and vehicle immobilizer issues. You will need to read up on Mud. With all of that said, incidences of these issues are very infrequent, and the community VERY knowledgable and helpful.

My vote, swing for a late model, clean truck and spend a little more. Mod as needed and put the money into preventative.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
If you can try to find one that has all of the mods already done to it. It will save you a ton of time and money. It's worth spending a little extra, IMO.
I'm about to hit 300,000 on a 1999 100 series.

landsharkman

Adventurer
No need to fear, I have owned mine since new and I have never owned a more reliable well built vehicle than this one, going in 150,000 miles and 17 years
Joshualand3sm_zps954162b6.jpg

JLee

Adventurer
There's a high mileage thread over on Mud and some people are past 400k. I wouldn't worry too much about mileage.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
It will seat three across in the 2nd row though we sold our J80 because we needed a workable 3rd row for grandparent transport along with kids. No grandparent transport we would still have the J80. The 100 is a nice machine I've seen a few original owner super clean Lexus loaded models sell this past year for pretty fair prices and all the maint done etc. I ended up with the Sequoia it has a full three across in the 3rd row vs the two across in the LC. The 4.7 is a nice engine does need the timing belt and water pump service every 80-100K but outside of that its pretty rock solid. The Sequoia is no LC but its surprisingly pretty good on the trail in stock form.

ulySSes

Observer
I had a '11 Taco 4x4 Sport that I purchased brand with plans to keep it for a while. Unfortunately, it was totaled with less than 40k miles on it. I found a one owner '99 LC with 150k miles on it after a month of searching. My plan was to keep it until this new gen taco became available. I absolutely love the LC and decided to keep it. It's smoother, quieter and much more comfortable than my Taco ever was. The extra power of the v8 is also nice. I'm sure the new 2016 Taco is sweet. If I were in the market again, I'd most likely get a newer model 100 instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier