I'm one of you now... sorta (new rig)

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
So I went and traded in my motorcycle:

It's a 1983 Datsun 720 4x4 with 5 speed, crank windows, no a/c... I think the only option is the auto locking hubs (which work perfectly). The carb is a bit funky, but I think I will probably drop in a 32/36 Weber. This will be the daily driver and Tahoe cruiser and dump run and take the bikes and and and truck. I'm thinking of getting some Treadwrights for it to keep up the nice vintage look, but otherwise it will remain relatively stock.

20673_679618237508_6707392_39183583_3057231_n.jpg

20673_679618257468_6707392_39183584_3596818_n.jpg

20673_679618197588_6707392_39183580_7042661_n.jpg

20673_679618267448_6707392_39183586_6807265_n.jpg

20673_679618262458_6707392_39183585_1790362_n.jpg

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
So I went and traded in my motorcycle:

Whew! You scared the @#^%$outta me! I saw the title and the name under the title and all I could think while the page was loading was

"That little punk! If he traded away the FSJ I'm gonna drive out there and...oh...it was his bike....that's OK then...."

Not a bad little truck....

kcowyo

ExPo Original
That's really clean for 27 years old! I had an '84 for awhile - great little trucks and super comfy bucket seats. Nice find!

:beer:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Many years ago I had a friend with one of those little Nissans. The thing was rock solid and unstoppable. He beat the piss out of it and just kept coming back for more. Great little trucks. Nice find and congrats!

spencerswahoos

Observer
A trip down memory lane

My uncle had one that looked identical to this one. Many great weekends full of camping, running down to the coast, and going to the dirt track to watch a little racing. Nice find!

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Whew! You scared the @#^%$outta me! I saw the title and the name under the title and all I could think while the page was loading was

"That little punk! If he traded away the FSJ I'm gonna drive out there and...oh...it was his bike....that's OK then...."

Not a bad little truck....

hehe... that's actually part of why I left it vague. Not a bad trade - A '96 Bandit with rusty frame, 38k miles, no turn signals, no brake light, and stuck front calipers... for a running, smooth shifting, relatively good condition truck that at the very worst needs a new carb.

I don't think it's just a case of fuel filtration. It idles a bit low and without a load it will rev up to redline. But the second you put a load on it it won't rev over about 3k RPM without obv signs of fuel starvation. I will tear into it after my Week of Hell ends (retail folk know the torture of annual inventories - I'm in charge of all 5 NorCal stores :( )

mcgovski

Adventurer
My neighbor has an '83 sitting in his front yard. It has not been started since '89 and he says there are only 60k miles on it. I asked him what he wanted for it...he laughed and said i could have it. It seems like it could be a good project...but would I be running into a parts nightmare?

sweet looking truck though, and I found a place in Ceres, Ca that sells the sd22(i think that is the #) which was the stock diesel in that truck...that could be cool.

Congrats on the find, you have got me thinking

Chris

datrupr

Expedition Leader
My neighbor has an '83 sitting in his front yard. It has not been started since '89 and he says there are only 60k miles on it. I asked him what he wanted for it...he laughed and said i could have it. It seems like it could be a good project...but would I be running into a parts nightmare?

I think you should go and take it off your neighbors hands. It could be a good little project and parts shouldn't be that hard to come by.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
That is one clean 720. I have a 86 KC 4x4 with the Z24i. I love that truck, but it needs a new head, so there it sits. Yours makes me want to get back on that thing

Attachments

• nissan8.jpg
    nissan8.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 42

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!

sweet looking truck though, and I found a place in Ceres, Ca that sells the sd22(i think that is the #) which was the stock diesel in that truck...that could be cool.

Congrats on the find, you have got me thinking

Chris

Honestly, the engine is dirt simple - it's the carb that has everybody screaming.

I can't wait to polish the body and line the bed. A bit of spraypaint on a few key trim pieces and I think it will look amazing. Then all I have to do is resist any urge to modify it too much.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
A very happy update!
I am thrilled with my $600 truck. Put a few new vacuum lines on it and took it by my smog dude (Phil at Smog Man in San Jose is the only person who is allowed to touch any of my cars). It not only passed, but it had lower emissions than any other car I own! Still runs like crap, but it is registered and on the road. Today I spent some time with paint and wax and polishing compound. Nothing fancy, but it cleaned up pretty nicely. Still to come:
* Weber 32/36 Carb (the kit is on sale at AutohausAZ.com for $300!)
* Herculiner in the bed
* New stereo with 2x6.5" speakers (nothing fancy)
* 30x9.5-15 Treadwright All Terrains
* Hella 330 driving lights

and that will be it. I need one relatively stock vehicle in my stable...

Quick before and after - painted front below the bumper and wheels, waxed and polished it.
IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2171.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles