I'm obsessed with 2nd-gen RAV4s...can anyone oblige me?

Dake21

Adventurer
"Both automatic and manual transmissions have full-time all wheel drive with viscous coupling locking center differential. Optional Torsen limited slip rear differential."

This sounds pretty good. That means you will always have at least one wheel spinning at the front and rear in case you loose traction.
Also I think trucks are too stiff to handle dirt and fire roads and modern crossover too soft. I bet this rav4 fits in between like my grand vitara does.

AZJim

Observer
Hey Tanglefoot, I like outside the box thinking. Anyone can take a Wrangler, Defender, LC, etc., etc., off road, but take something like this and it can be quite an adventure. I think that's why I like the Jeep Patriot, you're not going to go rock crawling, but there is a lot you can do out there. Just imagine that RAV4 with a lift and RTT.

Jim

stioc

Expedition Leader
Not the 2nd gen but still...

DSCN1878.JPG

They (off-road.com) did the whole build project on it which I can't seem to find at the moment.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/trails/rav4-crawler-finding-the-limits-of-the-trucklet-15044.html

ober27

Adventurer
I'll chime in here. We have a 2004 RAV4 with 145,000 miles. It's been a great vehicle for us. We've spent a fair amount of time with it on gravel and forestry roads. On occasion we'll take it down logging roads if ground clearance isn't needed.
Snow is where it really surprises me, I've driven through some drifts on the local lakes, that I'm certain would have stopped many other crossovers. I would say that in snow it will go anywhere my Toyota 4x4 pickup will go, until low range is needed, then it comes to a stop.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the RAV4 to someone looking for a crossover type vehicle.

ExPo4Runner

Land Cruiser Fanatic
With all the praise I thought I'd throw in my input. While they are great platforms, I have heard of a certain number of them having transmission issues. My friend's went out at 130k, but it was also an auto. And after researching it looks like there might be some production runs that had bad trannies. Though I can't speak for the manual trans.

tommudd

Explorer
My wifes 97 has been great , bought out of Japan in 1999 , shipped to Tanzania
Somewhat regular maintenance over the years , ( she doesn't listen real well to me but tries) and still going strong
Wish there was a way to bring it over here on the cheap next month when she moves back
I have taken it places that surprised the heck out of that we made it
In laws live on the slope of Kilimanjaro so roads are fun

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Ooh, the thread's back!

Really nice SWB 1st-genny, Tom. That looks like a blast!

Expo4runner: I've heard about a problematic auto trans ECU on the 2001-2003s with the 2.0L. The issues seem to have been remedied on the 2004-2005 with the 2.4L, or stick with the manual trans.

Have a 2003 Rav4 with Manual. I have driven it through my field in winter in over a foot of snow, it really was unstoppable and surprised me how good the 4wd system was, it was only when hitting a three foot drift that it came to a stop. Did not get stuck though, reversed and it popped out of the bank leaving the front bumper pattern stamped in the snow.

I have had some issues with it, but I think this was more to do with lack of maintenance of the first owner. The transmission, transfer case and differential had very little oil left in it and probably was never changed, the steel headbolts pulled the aluminum threads out of the block, and to effect the repair involved dropping everything out the bottom of the SUV. However, I repaired and rebuilt the engine using time-sert inserts for the block, port and polished the head, had block and head milled and pressure tested, and since it was out replaced clutch, and replaced all the valve caps(gap is determined by spacers on caps themselves).

They are a great little ute, I want to start using it as a mini camping rig next year and am almost finished a full teardown on her to renew wheel bearings, transfer case, steering etc. Overall a great purchase.

Johnboyy

I had a MK3 2.2 d4d manual a few years back, with a set of general grabber ATs on it.

We do a bit of hobby farming and live in Ireland where ground is often wet. I dogged that little truck hard for 45k miles over 2 years, never got stuck, often pulled 2tonne behind it and in all that time it got a battery, glow plugs and a suspension bush.

Given it had 120k miles when I bought it I couldn't have asked for better than that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke