I'm cold! You can help!

Which of these three sleeping bags

• Thermarest Saros 0°F

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mountain Hardwear Bozeman 0°F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Grassland

I'm tired of freezing in my summer and early fall backpacking sleeping bag. Which is a garbage Hot Core T200 "14° F" bag from Cabela's.

I am only interested in synthetic sleeping bags.
Budget is $250 Canada Pesos.
Use is truck camping and winter camping in mild weather and winter camping in a hot tent for extreme weather of up to -31° Celsius.
On a foam mat and thermarest Prolite pad in the truck, or those things on a camp cot. Also been using a small thing fleece blanket and small faux sheepskin blanket with the bag to no avail.
I'm 5'7 180#

Bozeman Torch is on clearance as it's discontinued, which is why it's on the list.
I've made this list while being cold, so give me other ideas if they are better.
The fill weight alone of even the cheapest is a half lb more than total weight of my current one.

Edit: the Cabela's bag was listed in C rather than F. Corrected for better comparison.

Last edited:

Alloy

These bags will be rated for the survival temp. so you'll need to take 10-15 degrees off the rating to be comfortable.

I agree with IdaSho Western Moutaineering is the way to go. Another option is Featherd Freinds. Either will last decades......longer than you'll remember what you paid.

Using a jacket, thermal pants and booties will allow the bag to be used in a greater range of temps.

You needs better sleeping pads as well.

Grassland

I'll consider upgrading the sleeping pad for comfort alone, but my back or side that touches the mat isn't where I am cold. It's actually the only part of me that stays warm.

Looked at a few dozen Wiggy's reviews last night. All over the board from horrible to great, from froze to sweat.

Western Mountaineering all seems to be down, which I am not interested in.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
I have had an off-grid cabin at 9600' for over 20 years. I've learned a thing or two about sleeping in the freezing cold.

Two things that really work:
1) An old down comforter (it is crazy how much heat they hold)
2) Army Surplus wool blankets

Sneaks

I have had an off-grid cabin at 9600' for over 20 years. I've learned a thing or two about sleeping in the freezing cold.

Two things that really work:
1) An old down comforter (it is crazy how much heat they hold)
2) Army Surplus wool blankets

This. Living in the northern Maine woods after moving from the Great North Woods of NH, where in winter the power is off more than it is on, down is the answer. Not sure why only want synthetic (not poking at you, legitimately curious)?

shade

So I guess a WesternMountaineering bag is out of the question?

Damn I love mine...... :oops:

Another option you might have considered.... get a proper insulated pad.
I have a Western Mountaineering Puma MF bag. No regrets.

@Grassland - If you can wait, whatever winter gear you buy may be on sale over the next few months. I never would've bought that WM bag at full price, but when I found it on sale in August, it was an easy decision.

CampStewart

Observer
I have owned easily a dozen sleeping bags. For vehicle based camping I am really over them and more into warm sheets and blankets. Wearing warm sweats, hat, and socks dedicated to sleeping only. I would shop by material types and specs rather than brand names if getting a sleeping bag.

Grassland

My understanding of down products is:
1)
Difficult to wash.
Despite best efforts, things get dirty
2)
Don't work when wet/take forever to dry, if they ever do.
If anything is going to go wrong, it is, and that means the bag is getting wet.
3)
Cost
(Example, Western Mountaineering Puma MF -32°C bag is $1075 Canadian dollars)

I'm not looking for a backpacking bag, so I really don't care about weight either, so if a synthetic bag weighs 2# more to do the same job, that's ok.

I'm not hung up on brands either, I just listed the first few products in my budget that are readily available locally.

Last edited:

shade

My understanding of down products is:
1)
Difficult to wash.
Despite best efforts, things get dirty
2)
Don't work when wet/take forever to dry, if they ever do.
If anything is going to go wrong, it is, and that means the bag is getting wet.
3)
Cost

I'm not looking for a backpacking bag, so I really don't care about weight either, so if a synthetic bag weighs 2# more to do the same job, that's ok.

I'm not hung up on brands either, I just listed the first few products in my budget that are readily available locally.
Maybe down isn't a good choice for you, but it's not that difficult to use, either.
I'm not promoting WM over comparable products, but these pages may be useful:

TLDR: Use a bag liner and/or sleep in a separate set of clothing.
On the trail, store it in a waterproof bag, and air it out once you make camp.

WM doesn't use it, but DriDown and other treated down does well in damp conditions.

Down offers more warmth for less weight & bulk than synthetic fill.
It typically costs more up front, but down will last for decades when treated properly.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I'll consider upgrading the sleeping pad for comfort alone, but my back or side that touches the mat isn't where I am cold. It's actually the only part of me that stays warm.

Looked at a few dozen Wiggy's reviews last night. All over the board from horrible to great, from froze to sweat.

Western Mountaineering all seems to be down, which I am not interested in.
Exped Mega Mat and a Wiggy's for the win.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
My Trekker 5 Season bag is the best I have ever seen, It's a 2 bag system that is good for at leased 50 Below and having the twin bags give me at leased 5 different options to how it can be used, It is designed for sleeping outside without a Tent in the middle of winter and is 100% Waterproof, I tried it sleeping in -3* just using One Layer and I was too warm, The inner bag is reversible where it has pertex on one side and fleece on the other which really adds a lot of heat which actually gives me 6 options,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior