I'M BATVAN! ...a 2006 E350 V10 DIY Ujoint Conversion

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ agree. isnt there a 6.7 conversion within a rocks throw of you?!? hes got more mods than all the vans in boise put together, lol.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
^^^ agree. isnt there a 6.7 conversion within a rocks throw of you?!? hes got more mods than all the vans in boise put together, lol.

That's what I'm saying. Jsweezy must have hit his head on a piece of metal or something. I'm sure he'll come back to in the next day or so. ;)

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
So.....I'm thinking about selling my beloved BATVAN.

Trying to dial in on an asking price, wondering if there is any early adopters....

I think I like the thril of the build, and wouldn't mind getting something a little more subtle, or suttle, (Expresavana awd maybe?)

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
...but I want double side doors, and a color other than white, and, ....

The mods to "I'M BATVAN" continue,
In the beginning I mentioned that I wanted on board water, shower, with heated water. I envisioned something like a boat has, just a simple shower, you provide the sink, etc.
Over the past 1+ year I have been collecting parts for the project all the while debating weather I really even NEED it or not. I typically take the regular blue cube 7 gal. jug with a spigot. We are often not out long enough to require a shower and usually not far from rivers, lakes, hot springs. Still the thought of clean ups after trail rides, trips to the sand dunes, and even taking care of camp dishes sounded appealing.
Of course everything is a challenge when dealing with tight spaces. I chose right behind the drivers side rear seat for the 10 gallon tank. It's the hardest spot to get to in regards to storage areas.
2nur5w1.jpg

With a custom mount and bracketry the pump and heat exchanger reside below the tank in a custom drip pan made out of aluminum that drains through the floor in a pre existing hole. I highly recommend this! All it takes is one accident, just one hose slipping off.
I dimpled the bottom of the drip pan using the end of this builder cardboard tube.
ngvriq.jpg

The exchanger utilizes the rear coolant lines.
In this pic you can see the fresh water fill line at the top, and the vent. Also, without the side panel on you can see where my spare tire winch tool resides. It is pressure fit in a hole at the front and a dimple in the back.
29dfw54.jpg

From there both cold and hot combine at the anti-scald valve before going on to the quick disconnect and sprayer. I made a panel that goes in front of the original HVAC grill out of HDPE that this a terminates in.
2dktbn.jpg

Here with the side panel modified for access. Also, at the top of the HVAC panel, the switches for under bed LED, and the water pump. Also, at the front of the yoga mat, is the water tank level indicator slot. Eventually I will have a HDPE panel for the bedslide side of the water tank opening.
2ikzero.jpg

Remember the curved cubby out of HDPE in the back? It now has a water fill/vent in it.
n2erds.jpg

More later... :)

Last edited:

Vandit

Observer
I'm glad to see you haven't sold yet, I really love this van. You've put in a lot of great work and ideas. Nice work on the water system. I specifically like how you dimpled the pan. It's small details like that, that make all the difference. Clean and functional. Looking forward to more....

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
I'm glad to see you haven't sold yet, I really love this van. You've put in a lot of great work and ideas. Nice work on the water system. I specifically like how you dimpled the pan. It's small details like that, that make all the difference. Clean and functional. Looking forward to more....

Thanks for the comment.
I don't really want to see it go either, but I think I would like to try a different platform knowing the perfect one doesn't exist.
All of the things we love about this van can be replicated in something else, even the little details.

Headed out of town this weekend I stopped at a self serve weigh station.
My intent was to build a "lightweight" camper/daily driver. Although I feel I could have done it with less weight I think I did well.
This is fully loaded, full fuel, fridge, chuck box, 10 gallons of water, SUP board, bed/bedding, and me.

F 3860
T 7820
R 3960

Really like the near 50/50 weight ratio. ����
This thing eats canyon roads and mountain passes all day long.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
When I did my conversion I figured I would put a 10.5" Sterling rear end in my van whenever the current rear end required attention. My rear end has been making funny noises on deceleration since the end of last winter, assuming its worn spider gears.
So I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a rear end with a 3.73 gears and an LSD. One showed up at a salvage yard in Ontario (an hour west) at what seemed like a reasonable price for an axle complete with calipers/rotors, swaybar, etc. $750
xp0eom.jpg

So I started tearing it down, cutting off the old spring perches, painting things, ordering parts, having the rotors turned, etc.
While removing one of the axles I realized it felt a little bound up, as I popped it out of place things stared to look wonky. Its as if the axle was holding the hub straight. I tried to turn the hub and it wasn't spinning freely like the other side, bearings are compressed/trashed.
I always thought something was off about this side, turns out it got hit from the end, maybe a tank slapper or side swipe scenario.
2e0tdeh.jpg

So I will be calling the salvage yard tomorrow morning. This seems to be a reoccurring theme recently. I'm just really glad it isn't hanging from newly welded spring perches in the van before I noticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior